go ahead - blind me with science.....

chris-dax

• Members

Once you start thrashing it, it'll come up to temperature right quick.
:idea:

So it doesn't matter.
;)

Yeah, just start out a quarter tone sharp, and eventually you'll be good to go... It'd be funny if the guitard had the same thing going on, but it was giving the singer fits....

- georgestrings

• Moderators

assume the room is room temperature....
:cool:

you know - 70F

You must not be in the same rooms I'm in. Anywhere from 65F to around 78F are not unusual.

Humidity might make a difference as well, affecting the heat transfer coefficient of the air...

• Members

Yeah, just start out a quarter tone sharp, and eventually you'll be good to go... It'd be funny if the guitard had the same thing going on, but it was giving the singer fits....

- georgestrings

Well of course you tune it before the first tune. :poke:

Then you check it on the second tune, if it's a fender you'll have to tweak it one time and that's it.

• Members

Warning: science content.

The variables for this involve the original temperature, final temperature, mass of the bass and the materials of construction. Every material (even different types of wood) heat up at a different rate. The reason why it's dangerous to swing temperatures is because your strings will expand and contract far faster than the wood will, so the tension will increase or decrease far faster. I'd have to find the formulas, but if I looked them up I could probably even tell you how flat your bass will be when you pick it up after the strings warm up, but not the wood....

*cough*

I'd guesstimate 20 mins.

• Members

SS amps I don't worry about so much, but cold doesn't do tube amps or speakers much good.... I know what you mean about temps - here in Syracuse, it was 1F yesterday, but is supposed to reach 60F by tuesday or wednesday.... sheer craiziness, I tell ya...

- georgestrings

Tubes heat slowly enough that it's likely no damage will occur. Remember, car radios used tubes.

• Members

SS amps tend to work better when it's cold, actually. The cold lowers electrical impedance cause particles are smushed (yes that's a science term) together so the current jumps easier. Same would hold true for everything on a tube amp except the tubes themselves, I think.

Archived