OT:*gulp* nearing the last of my cigs..can I do it?!

SelenaBassGirl

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quitting smoking is a little bit like pulling an all-nighter: if you're not totally committed to doing it, you'll start having second thoughts in the wee-early morning hours.

I quit smoking about 9 years ago. I waited until the winter when I knew that I'd get my annual bronchitis, which would force me to stop for 2 or 3 days. Sure enough, I got bronchitis as planned, and I went out and bought some nicotine gum. I don't think I really needed it -- it was more of a security blanket. I used the gum for less than a week, then quit using that, too.

For the next week or so, I had some minor cravings but nuttin' big time, and by the end of the 2nd or 3rd week I was officially a non-smoker.

It's the best thing I've done for my body since losing my virginity. Wish I had never started. But you need to make sure you've completely removed any thoughts about caving in and not following through with your commitment to QUIT!

You need to be TOTALLY COMMITTED to pulling an all-nighter, and if you are, you'll still be awake when that damn bird starts chirping at 5:00 a.m.

• Members

there isn't anything more stupid than smoking.

Smoking is pretty stupid, but it's not more stupid than drinking and driving...or driving under the influence of drugs...

If you smoke you're hurting primarily yourself (and to a very small extent the folks who probably chose to hang around you), but people who drink and drive frequently end up killing some innocent person who happened to be on the same road at the same time.

• Members

I haven't read the whole thread...all I can say is for me the best motivator was the money...

I'd take the cash I spent on cigs and put it in a jar....it adds up quick....

It's a very tangible reward for doing something really good for yourself and - don't forget - for those who you love and who love you...

You can do it....just keep at it..!! Great way to start the year...!

• Members

well, it is almost 1 AM here so thus far it has been 22 hours since my last cig. I have went total crazy, went thru a bitchy phase, went thru the begging my husband to run to the store phase, the wanting to eat issue, almost been in tears, wanting to pull my hair out, tried getting my mind off it by playing my bass (which sort of reminded me of smoking btw), a giddy stage NOW I am sweating like crazy. I am not playing my bass at this moment b/c I don't want to electrocute myself with my sweaty palms! (j/k) but my palms are sweating and the rest of me too.

I even took a shower too.

I really appreciate ya listening to me rant and vent and also for your support in this. If I make it, I will pat myself in the back and be a proud owner of a Fender Jazz in a few months. If I fail, I will still buy that Fender but in a more disappointing way.

• Members

Do you have any nicotine gum, or are you doing this cold turkey?

Even if you don't have a small pack of the nicotine gum (I think the idiots who sell it only do so in HUGE quantities that cost $50.00, when you could probably get by with 10 pieces), you might think about buying some bubble gum just so you can chew on something to break up the monotony over the next few days.

Also: keep in mind that nicotine is an appetite SUPPRESSANT. This means that even after 1 day without any cigs, it's perfectly normal to have food cravings. Most folks put on a few pounds (or more) shortly after quitting.

If it'll make you feel any better, I say have some gum, candy, and good old junk food over the next several days!

And good job making it to 24+ hours!

• Members

I have some of those quit smoking candy that I got as samples back in Oct. I didn't think about them! I have chewed gum most of the day-so my jaw should really be locked down in the morning (TMJ).

Yep, it HAS been 24 hours!

THANK YOU ALL!

The thing is I was supposed to start a diet too..crap, I gave up the two things I loved at one time..that is gonna kill me! hehe!

• Members

Some people start eating loads if they quit smoking.

Exercising is probably the best move methinks. Start playing some sport, or swimming! Swimming is the best exercise imo.

Good luck, and if you ever feel like venting we're all here for you :cool:

• Members

Start the diet later. Wait for a month. You'll feel so proud of yourself in a month (assuming that you manage to quit smoking) that losing a few pounds will be trivial.

The gum (never tried the candy but I assume it's similar to the gum) can really help during the first few days. It's basically delivering nicotine back into your system, but the delivery mechanism is chewing gum (or sucking on a candy) instead of puffing a cancer stick.

Nicotine is a powerful drug, and quitting cold turkey is VERY, VERY hard (and I wouldn't recommend it *IF* you have something you can take over the next 3 to 5 days).

With the gum, you chew on it only until you start getting that "cigarette flavor" in your mouth (like you've just chewed on a cigarette butt). Then you take it out of your mouth. The candy is probably the same: I imagine you suck on it only until the flavor of Marlboro is in your mouth. Then you take it out and wait until the next urge comes along.

If you use too much too quickly, you'll get a stomach ache.

Anyway, you need to do what works for you, but getting a little short-term help with nicotine gum, nocotine candy, or good olde regular candy & junk food is perfectly OK in my book, too!

• Members

Good luck! As others here have said, I still miss smoking. I also have the vivid dreams where I'm smoking and I wake up feeling really guilty. Just remember that the longer you go, the easier it gets. Every time you bum a smoke you're just making it harder on yourself. I used to work with a guy that I'd bum from and he'd always say, "Are you trying to quit smoking or quit buying?!" :lol:

Good luck!

• Members

GO!

GO!

GO!

GO!

GO!

:thu:

When I quit, it was made easier by being in recovery from major neck surgery. By the time a couple days had passed, and I was alert enough to notice not smoking AND my throat didn't hurt like hell when I tried to breath or swallow, I had a bad case of thrush which felt like someone had burnt the inside of my mouth with a blowtorch. So, I hadgone 7 or more days without a cig before I even had a desire for one. And by that time, the nicotine was long out of my system. It was then a mental game, and I felt I was ahead.

It's been nearly 13 years now. Still, I dreamed about them for years. I won't even touch a cigar now, because I don't want to wind up with the habbit again.

If you can make it through the first 3 days, then the nicotine will be nearly gone. If you fall off the wagon, just get back on and try again.

Good luck! :thu:

• Members

um some bad news...noooo I didn't sneak a smoke but that candy crap was just flavored stuff-not the real {censored}. I mean they gave samples of (commit) to let you sample the 'flavor' and not have any meds inside. {censored}, if they had kept their mouths shut and didn't print that on the package, it would of probably worked (placebo affect). Needless to say, I haven't tried any of that nicotine candy-I have just been going cold turkey and suffering and chewing on gum. But I am doing it!

Archived