OT:*gulp* nearing the last of my cigs..can I do it?!

SelenaBassGirl

• Members

I told myself that once I finish my "stash" of cigs, that I would quit. I want to use the money saved towards my Fender and a new amp...but..now that I am at the end of my stash-I am getting nervous! hehe! I don't know if I can. I mean, I did in the past for 3 1/2 years but started back when I was in school (college) and when I started back going to the clubs. This was almost 4 years ago that I started back up. So wish me luck! If I did it before, I can do it again!:cry:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I told myself that once I finish my "stash" of cigs, that I would quit. I want to use the money saved towards my Fender and a new amp...but..now that I am at the end of my stash-I am getting nervous! hehe! I don't know if I can. I mean, I did in the past for 3 1/2 years but started back when I was in school (college) and when I started back going to the clubs. This was almost 4 years ago that I started back up. So wish me luck! If I did it before, I can do it again!
:cry:

No Smokee, More practice!!

Keep your hands on your bass, and those urges to smoke will subside.

Plus, when you get the urge to strangle someone, play some really aggressive slap stuff!

• Members

It's tough...but not impossible.

Every time you feel the need to smoke, pick up your bass instead and practice to get your mind off of it. Nothing hard, just play some songs that are easy and you know and you can get lost in. Hopefully, soon, you'll equate the craving to wanting to play.

I don't know if that will work or not for you, but it's what helped me kick my addiction...though it wasn't cigs. Everyone is different though, just know you're not alone.

• Members

My Dad got thru it by chewing gum, it was something to keep his mouth occupied. He's off the cigarettes well over 10 years!

He just used regular gum.

Funny story though, my Granddad (R.I.P.) tried to give up in his old age, he was in his late 70's. My Dad bought him some of those Nicorette patches. He put one on and stopped smoking. When I went to visit a few weeks later he said that he thought the patch was working great, he hadn't had a cigarette and didn't need one. Funny thing was........

He still had the SAME patch on!!! :lol: :lol:

• Members

I stopped years ago and I still miss it. Probably not what you what you want to hear but it's true. The good thing is that I feel much, much better and I can do things physcially that I could never do when I was sucking on cancer sticks. Hang in there, you can totally do it. :thu:

• Members

My Dad got thru it by chewing gum, it was something to keep his mouth occupied. He's off the cigarettes well over 10 years!

He just used regular gum.

Funny story though, my Granddad (R.I.P.) tried to give up in his old age, he was in his late 70's. My Dad bought him some of those Nicorette patches. He put one on and stopped smoking. When I went to visit a few weeks later he said that he thought the patch was working great, he hadn't had a cigarette and didn't need one. Funny thing was........

He still had the SAME patch on!!!
:lol:
:lol:

That's what I try to tell people, the addiction is all in your head... it's not as powerful as one would think. :cop:

• Members

I stopped years ago and I still miss it. Probably not what you what you want to hear but it's true. The good thing is that I feel much, much better and I can do things physcially that I could never do when I was sucking on cancer sticks. Hang in there, you can totally do it.
:thu:

I smoked for 23 years and was up to 3 packs a day and hacking my lungs out every morning after waking up. Then one day I had my 3 year old daughter on my knee, reading her a Dr. Seuss story and accidentally brushed her arm with the lit cigarette end after I took a drag and went to put it into the ashtray.

That was the last puff on a cigarette I ever had and that was 18 years ago. I decided then that I was going to be a 'non-smoker' and it was actually quite easy to quit. However, I still have very vivid dreams of smoking cigs to this day. I sometimes wake up feeling guilty that I 'went off the wagon' and started smoking again, only to realize it was just a dream.

What would Freud have to say about that ?

( Boy, did I leave myself open to abuse with that !!)

Selena- good luck to you, it is easy to quit - you just have to say to yourself " That's it, no more. "

Done.

• Members

Thank you all for your support!

No-logic: good luck too!

I have like a half pack left. I can probably deal with it but it is when I go out is gonna be the hardest thing. I don't go out every weekend like I used to, maybe once a month, so I think that will make things easier for me. Hopefully. I do want a smoke after eating. And that is the other thing...I am trying to lose weight, and uh, to give up TWO things is gonna be so friggin' hard! Food and cigs!

• Moderators

Good luck. Get some celery sticks and carrots, if you like them. Along with the gum, doing something with your hands will be helpful. Also, don't be afraid to admit you can't quit without help. If you need the patch and wellbutrin for a while, the benefits to your health and physical stamina are well worth it. FWIW, I smoked for 21 years.

• Members

it's so damn hard! But I can do it...I smoked my last one about 3 am this morning.
:deadhorse:
:poke:
:snax::badump::rawk:
I think I am gonna jam on tha bass. Gotta get my mind of them things!!!!! If not, I am gonna hit something or eat!
:p

Uhmmm, you were joking about the eating thing, right? :p Seriously, hit the gym, go for a run, take the bike out for a spin, whatever. Just do some physical activity.

• Members

At least you're trying, or wanting to quit.

Next time you want to smoke, go for a walk. Reward yourself by doing good things for your body. I know it's hard-I tried numerous times to quit before getting pregnant and that's what did it for me.

One of the hardest things was saying, "This is my last pack"...that's an excuse to finish the pack. Just get rid of them, throw em out and say NO MORE! Or when you wake up the next day tell yourself you aren't going to smoke. You would have already went 8 or so hours not smoking while you sleep, so you can go longer than that.

I know you said you're trying not to eat alot either-it's okay to eat more bc you quit, but make healthy choices (easier said than done).

• Members

well my reward is going to be a Fender Jazz bass with the money I save BUT right now I am going {censored}ing nuts!! hehe! I tried playing the bass but for some reason I am thinking of smoking then too! I can't get it outta my mind! I think I will just have to take a cold shower...this is harder this time then the last time I quit-and I had quit for almost 4 years too!

• Members

well my reward is going to be a Fender Jazz bass with the money I save BUT right now I am going {censored}ing nuts!! hehe! I tried playing the bass but for some reason I am thinking of smoking then too! I can't get it outta my mind! I think I will just have to take a cold shower...this is harder this time then the last time I quit-and I had quit for almost 4 years too!

You need to be really committed for at least like two weeks.

Be ready to resist the urge to bum a smoke off of a friend ar a coworker.

You can quit again.

:thu:

Archived