the bass-what made you choose it?

SelenaBassGirl

• Members

gotta love it!

what made you pick it?

I noticed that the songs that were my favorite since I was a kid, always had a bass standing out in it. I didn't know at first WHAT it was I liked about the song but I knew SOMETHING about it I liked. I grew up with a piano in the house, and so I learned that. Then in high school I played the keyboard. But still loved that bass sound.

I was in love with funk and used to go "crazy" with the slapping. After a big crush I had on a bass player (the second one I crushed on) I figured that it was about time to buy one and learn it. I was in love with the man-it wasn't ALL because of what he did, but it started out with me watching him play. I used to love watching his fingers! Then I noticed his face and started talking to him. Yes, I was married at the time. He liked me too-a lot- but respected my marriage. But I used to talk to him about bass and soaked in all I could. He knew what I liked and used to "torment" me while I was on the dance floor by sneaking in a slap or a thump or two...I guess he teased me in a way. Meanness!

Then I bought my bass and started learning on it. I have no teacher. I can't afford one now, but I have the "ear" and like on the piano, I learn by ear.

I figured since I was in love with the instrument and the low end, I should learn how to play it. When I hold my bass, I feel some sort of "high". When I play a song, it makes me feel so good. The bass is like no other aphrodisiac you can find. It has always been a turn on for me, and I tend to get weak kneed and stuff when I hear it-esp. if it is funk.

What made you fall in love with the bass and/or pick the bass as your instrument?:love:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just wanted to play bass.

I tried to play guitar, loved playing brass(mostly/primarily tuba) and steel drums in middle school, and, from the time I got my first electric guitar, I wanted to play bass.

Noone made me want to play bass, it was more a force of nature than anything.

• Members

I had played guitar for a few years when I was younger (ages 10 - 13) and when I got my first job I wanted an electric, didn't know if I wanted a guitar or bass. I was intrigued by bass. Some people told me not to get a bass and cited some stupid reasons for it. All the more reasons for me to go and get one! and I did! :D

• Members

My older brothers already had guitar and drums claimed. But more than anything it was seeing Zeppelin's 'The Song Remains the Same' movie when it came out in '76. There was that shot of Jones playing bass during 'Black Dog'; camera right back by the bridge. I saw that and my highly impressionable 14-year-old brain thought, "That's the XX@!!! COOLEST thing I've ever seen and heard!!!!" Completely messed me up. Following summer I painted my parents' porch and bought a bass with the money they paid me.

• Members

Some friends wanted to form a Beatles tribute band in high school and no one wanted to be Paul. So, I was it. That band never happened. I think Gene Simmons made me want to be a bass player. He may not be the best player, but puts on one hell of a show.

• Members

a subtle blending of tony levin and sid vicious...

at 16 or so, 1986, my musical interest was currently wrapped up in both punk and prog....i wanted to be levin, and the beginning was a project to get a band on stage with 4/5's of the members unable to play, a la sid, (we had a great drummer)...i chose bass, and played onstage 3 days after i first had one in my hands...

• Members

Dumb as it sounds, I think bass chose me. I was in third grade and they took us over to the music room one day to check out all the different band and orchestra instruments. I tried them all, but for some reason the upright felt like it was just waiting for me, like it was the most natural thing ever. Never looked back. I was too small to know anything about any well know bassists, any popular music, nothing, but I knew I liked bass. Still do, and always will.:cool:

• Members

Everyone I know plays guitar, or banjo, or mandolin (bluegrass is big around here) and the Bass player was in demand. Also it fits my style- I don't wanna be center stage ALL the time, I'd rather provide the backbone of the song and have little shining moments of glory that sonically perfect the song.

• Members

I started on guitar. My brother and I wanted to start a band together... I encouraged him to play drums, but he ended up buying a guitar. Sheesh. Later as we were starting a band we were stuck with 3 guitarist and no bass. Guess who had to switch to bass. No, it wasn't me actually, haha. My brother said he would, as long as I played a few songs with the band on bass so he could play guitar. Thing was, I found I really had more instinct for bass rather than guitar. After the band broke up, I bought his bass and I switched, not looking back.

• Members

My older brothers already had guitar and drums claimed. But more than anything it was seeing Zeppelin's 'The Song Remains the Same' movie when it came out in '76. There was that shot of Jones playing bass during 'Black Dog'; camera right back by the bridge. I saw that and my highly impressionable 14-year-old brain thought, "That's the XX@!!! COOLEST thing I've ever seen and heard!!!!" Completely messed me up. Following summer I painted my parents' porch and bought a bass with the money they paid me.

[YOUTUBE]espHuUt_nE8[/YOUTUBE]

Archived