the bass-what made you choose it?

SelenaBassGirl

• Members

I was guitarist. but strangely, i've got a lot of songs i really loved which were more bass songs. Like the lemon song from zep, money from floyd, and others.. And at this time, the solo which was one of my favorite was the bass solo from Guy Pratt on the Pink Floyd live "delicate sound of thunder". Few years later, i bought a bass to record a little, and a very few time after, i became definitely bassist. But when i remember music i was listenning, and how (always with the bass boost on), i think the bass was planned in my destiny. :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was introduced to the bass by my 6th grade teacher. He joined our school when I started 6th grade and up until then our school was dovoid of any teachers with musical talent. This guy was into his Beatles and wanted to see his whole class performing beatles songs using every instrument that could be plucked, strummed, banged.etc....
He brought this white Fender P Bass copy into school one day and he saw my eyes light up and saw me looking like I was going to piss myself if I didn't get a shot at playing that thing from the moment he walked through the door with it.
So I landed the job of school bassplayer and kept playing since I was 12. I have since learnt to play guitar and drums but my first love has and always will be bass.

• Members

In 4th grade, we all went to an assembly where the strings ensemble from our local orchestra showed us their instruments and described high notes, low notes and octaves to us. We were then given an aptitude test (does the note go up, down, stay the same or go an octave?) and for the last line we got to choose the instrument we would like to learn if we could. I chose the bass because it was the biggest! 2 weeks later, a teacher came to our class, read off a couple of names and took us downstairs into the music room where the instruments awaited us. That was an upright and a wooden box to stand on.

In 7th grade, I was the only stringed instrument in the orchestra and my teacher talked my dad into buying me my Tele, thus starting me on the electric horizontal path. Frets were initially a mystery to me though...I wanted to put my fingers directly on top of them, but that sounded like crap... :D

From there, there was no looking back...34 years later...

Thank you Richmond Public Schools!! :thu::thu:

• Members
It was the only way a lazy, talentless {censored} like me could get into decent bands.

:cool:

it seems that way at first, eh? i thought the same thing when i started. now, i think that it is much much more difficult than any of the other standard 'rock' instruments...except drums i suppose, but i just can't get 4- limb independence...

anyone else feel that bass is intrinsically more difficult than guitar or keys, or drums?

we have to walk such a fine line between melody, harmony and rythym, and always be accused of over- or under-playing...

• Members

Robert DeLeo.

I started playing guitar at 15 years old and picked up Bass at the same time so that I could play in the Orchestra for the school musical. After that, I focused on guitar for a few years, then I started to listen to STP, decided that I needed to be a bassist, and have focused on that ever since.

Archived