the bass-what made you choose it?

SelenaBassGirl

• Members

Growing up I listened to a lot of Motown music and oldies type rock, I alway loved the basslines. It turns a lot of my favorite songs from that period was either James Jamerson or Joe Osborne playing bass. As I got older I liked listening to music that had interesting bass. Primus, Rush, RHCP(a little) all became favorites of mine.

I also like BASS. I turn the lows up on every stereo I listen to. I put a 2000Watt amp and 3 12" subs in my ext cab Ranger. My home stereo has a 12" 450Watt sub. I like the bass! All of it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My older brother brought one home from a Flea Market and told me "Don't Touch That!" which, of course, is the red flag for little brother to get my mitts on it. I was 14... one month, and one Mel Bay Book later, I was gigging every weekend with a band in clubs I was far from old enough to be in.........

• Members

I also like BASS. I turn the lows up on every stereo I listen to. I put a 2000Watt amp and 3 12" subs in my ext cab Ranger. My home stereo has a 12" 450Watt sub. I like the bass! All of it.

I have to have my bass turned all the way up too. I like to feel my music, see my music (love them blinking lights on some stereos) and hear it too. I love the way the bass vibrates! Oh lord!

• Members

I've told this story so many times, I am surprised it's not in the FAQ! :D

Since you're new.......

I went to a middle school that had an award winning jazz band. The coolest kids were in it! I played flute....... I was a skinny kid, the only black for miles, and just generally a target for bullies. Compound that with being a boy who plays flute!!! Ass kickings daily!!!

Anyway, the award winning jazz band didn't take flutes unless you doubled on sax (Which I didn't). They did take guitar, and since I knew a couple of chords, I tried out.......unsuccessfully!

But........the tuba player (Yes, I said tuba) that had been in jazz band the previous year was going to high school. leaving an opening, so the band director asked me if I could take a bass home and come back in September knowing how to play it. I did, and the rest is history.

It turned out to be a good move for me because my middle school sent 31 flute players to high school, the other feeder school sent 36 flutists, all for 22 positions............but both feeder schools only sent one bassist......me!!!!:D

• Members
There are too many guitars players in this area...and no good bass players. If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.

Thats the story around here as well. I started off on guitar when I was in 7th grade. My buddies and I couldn't find a bass player, and being I'm used to switching instruments I went to bass about my freshman year......Well I still play bass. They say bass players aren't as big of a chick magnet as guitarist, but bass players know how to get down low and make people feel our thunder.....

;)

• Members

In utero, in the vein of "Beethoven for Babies."

My mom was a string bass player, and minored in it while in college (major was choral education with a double performance minor of piano/bass). She played in the community orchestra up until she was 8 months with me. I picked up the cello in 4th grade because the "cool kid" in school was a cellist, and when I got to 6th grade and saw the string bass, my mind was set on it. Mom had to fight the orchestra teacher to allow me to switch; apparently I was the best cellist they had.

Then in 11th grade, I picked up electric bass for the jazz band, due to a trip to Florida and limited space for travel. Rest is as they say, history.

• Members

I had around 5 years of experience playing the cello, moved to a new town without a cello-teacher, and I saw this fretless (unlined, haha) bass hanging in a local guitar shop. Went in and tried it for a few minutes. Saved up some cash and bought it a month or so later. A friend of a friend had a band which needed a bass player, and I started playing with them two weeks after I got the bass. We played live after a month of practice (Man, was I nervous) and I've been playing in a band ever since.

• Members

I started off as a guitarist, playing in a band with friends. Perfectly happy but also enjoyed mucking around with my friends bass as a completely different sound/feel. After being left with one of his basses for a couple of months I decided it was time to buy one of my own and I haven't looked back.

Nowadays I do still have my guitars and still play them, but it is bass I usually pick up first.

David

• Members

was jamming with some friends (which has now formed into our band) and there was a bass and an 8x10 stack in the room we practiced in. i usually played guitar or keys and after a nice smoke influence one day decided to pick up the bass and give it a try. havent looked back since....started playing bass about 10 months ago and now its the only instrument i play on a regular basis....

• Members

I am one day younger than Michael Jackson. I started on piano when I was 4 but when I was about 12 I heard "I Want You Back" and loved the bass part so much that I had to learn that instrument. Had a nice career from that decision.

• Members

I tried out a guitar a few times, being a lefty I often played them upside down and it was confusing and boring. I tried drums and had 0 sense of rhythm. I picked up bass and something clicked... I learned to play "Guerrilla Radio" by RATM on it and that was it. :love:

P.S. One of the biggest reasons I love bass now however is the physical activity involved. Playing slap / 3 fingerstyle on a 6 string can get pretty intense, especially playing prog rock. :D

• Members

origionally it was when i was 7 i got number of the beast. my mom bought it for me after i begged her for it cuz i thought the album cover was the coolest thing ever. and aside from thinking is was the awsomest thing i ever heard all i could concentrate on was steve harris. then a couple months later i came upon sabbath's we sold our soul for rock n roll, and i was hooked. so definatley it was geezer and harris from a very early age, even though i didnt start learning till i was almost 13. they are also the two biggest style influences on my playing.

Archived