Noise!!!

gretschzildjian

• Members

Hey all,

I just got hold of the Line 6 Echo Park delay yesterday. Great pedal, but terribly noisy, also when it's not on. The more pedals I add to my effect chain, the noisier my output signal becomes anyway. I use the One-Spot to power my pedals. Powering just the Echo Park with the One-Spot reduced the noise, but it was still there.

What devices do you guys and gals use to get rid of or reduce the noise in your signal?

Cheers

V

• Members

How about those noise suppressor pedals. Boss makes 'em. Do they work?

Yes and no. They really kill your dynamics. I've got one and I never use it.

Here are a couple of ideas for you. Is the pedal still noisy when it's on batteries? If no, I would suggest getting an isolated power supply...like the Voodoo Lab PP2+. It's best for a reason.

You can also get a true bypass loop, and put any pedal that makes noise in it. This way you can completely remove the pedal from your signal chain when not in use. I have one and it works great. Loopmaster makes mine...but a few other companies make them as well. You can even make your own...it's a fairly easy project if you've got basic electronic skills.

• Members

Mine are all pretty quiet. I have a dual looper that has my overdrive, EQ, phaser, chorus and delay in it but still isn't noisy when I turn either channel on. I use a 1-Spot and power my TU-2 with it and it juices my 8 pedals that require power.

• Members

Boss NS 2 noise suppressor is a decent choice. You have to be careful setting the threshold control so you don't cut off the signal as a note decays.

I use a Voodoo Lab PP 2+ power supply. It's not cheap, but my board is much quieter now.

• Members

Given that the Echo Park is basically the DM-4 in different form, I have a feeling there is something else going on here. The DM-4 really has no noise whatsoever, so I'd check your pedal running on bats before we get much further with this discussion. Beyond that, it's possible that you got a busted unit. Line 6 quality control can be a bit lacking at times. Also, you might want to check the manual to see if you can switch the pedal from buffered bypass to true bypass. It's an option on the DM-4 and that MIGHT have an influence...

• Members

, I have a feeling there is something else going on here.

That's what I was thinking. My guitar player had one. I never noticed any extra noise.:confused:

Now he uses the Boss RE20 Space Echo. It's a really nice pedal if you decide to pass on the line6 model.

• Members

Ground loop hum? Sounds like that pedal doesn't play nice with the 1spot.

That's the only problem with the 1spot/MXR Brick, they don't have isolated outputs like something like the Voodoolabs pedal power. If you're not a battery person, pick up the power supply that line6 makes for those pedals, ditch the pedal, or pick up another power supply. Or live with the hum. :D

• Members

OK, I decided to get rid of the pedal. Just too much noise for me. As my pedal board will keep growing, I might consider using a true bypass loop in the near future...except I don't know how that works exactly. Anyone can shed some light on it?

Edit:

Mars Volta's Juan Alderete has loads of pedals on his board. He uses the Boss LS-2 for the noisy pedals, but what the LS-2 exactly does in his setup is unclear. Anyone knows???

• Members

OK, I decided to get rid of the pedal. Just too much noise for me. As my pedal board will keep growing, I might consider using a true bypass loop in the near future...except I don't know how that works exactly. Anyone can shed some light on it?

Edit:

Mars Volta's Juan Alderete has loads of pedals on his board. He uses the Boss LS-2 for the noisy pedals, but what the LS-2 exactly does in his setup is unclear. Anyone knows???

Switches noisy pedals out of this chain. I used to have one and worked well. Now I have a custom-made 2-channel looper w/ passive volume attenuation and a master bypass. :)

• Members

Switches noisy pedals out of this chain. I used to have one and worked well. Now I have a custom-made 2-channel looper w/ passive volume attenuation and a master bypass.
:)

I still don't get it. What does that look like in the diagram of a setup?

bass -> pedals that aren't noisy -> loop station -> noisy pedals (switched on) -> back into loopstation -> rest of the not so noisy pedals -> amp??????

Stomping the loop station activates one or all pedals???

If someone has a drawing or a picture of how this loop thing works would be nice :thu:

• Members

I still don't get it. What does that look like in the diagram of a setup?

bass -> pedals that aren't noisy -> loop station -> noisy pedals (switched on) -> back into loopstation -> rest of the not so noisy pedals -> amp??????

Stomping the loop station activates one or all pedals???

If someone has a drawing or a picture of how this loop thing works would be nice
:thu:

That's why he has 2, IIRC, and easy LS-2 has two lines. :) So a total of 4 loops, just from those 4 pedals. I think he has some old EXH and Moog pedals that he puts in those. His pedal setup is pretty crazy. It's prolly archived on Bassplayer.com, as they did a cover story on him in 2006, maybe.

Some people like Justin Meldal-Johnsen do a "loop" for each pedal or group of pedals, with a master bypass and tuner function. Can be done via MIDI if you have a CEA or Rocktron setup.

I used to get mine from Loooper, but Dave isn't building anymore so a guy who Mod's on Talkbass built me mine as a prototype, and it's slick! :)

• Members

http://www.loooper.com/

http://www.pedalboards.com/

Check out those sites to see if it clears it up any further. I like both of those (except can't get Loooper's anymore, Dave isn't building), except they didn't have the passive volume controls like the Boss LS-2 does, which is why I had mine custom made.

Barge Concepts is another one, and there are a few others, although they steep up in price, quick! :)

• Members

http://www.loooper.com/

http://www.pedalboards.com/

Check out those sites to see if it clears it up any further. I like both of those (except can't get Loooper's anymore, Dave isn't building), except they didn't have the passive volume controls like the Boss LS-2 does, which is why I had mine custom made.

Barge Concepts is another one, and there are a few others, although they steep up in price, quick!

I've got a passive Loooper (loooper.com) with a volume control on it. :)

I use it for my Big Muff, it means I can cut it out of the signal chain when I dont want it because it sucks the tone. I'm probably going to put my wah in the loop too.

• Members

I've got a passive Loooper (loooper.com) with a volume control on it.

I use it for my Big Muff, it means I can cut it out of the signal chain when I dont want it because it sucks the tone. I'm probably going to put my wah in the loop too.

Awesome. I wish Dave still made those things... I heard he got CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) or something, and that's why he got out. Shame too, as I know he sold a good many units. His stuff was top notch, as I had one once.

Archived