Apt Pupil... DEAD

Hotblack

• Members

Right?

Jeez. Such a waste. I don't know if its sad, or what...

The actor served 10 days in jail in May 2006 after pleading no contest to driving while intoxicated and guilty to attempted possession of heroin.

The latter charge stemmed from his arrest in Los Angeles' Skid Row area, when he attempted to buy heroin from an undercover officer in 2005.

Other run-ins with the law included a 1998 charge of cocaine and marijuana possession, for which he avoided jail time in a plea deal. He was also placed on probation in January 2001 and ordered to pay $4,000 for repairs to a 45-foot yacht he and a friend tried to steal in Florida in August 2000.

He was arrested again in May 2001 and charged with underage drinking, violating the terms of his probation, and was ordered into alcohol rehabilitation the following March.

Not sad, predictable. He was just another punk druggie, and as bad as it is for me to say that about someone with problems, that's what it comes down to. It's sad for his family, but he chose that life and that's where it leads. No one has a gun to their head to do drugs, no one. It's a choice people make for themselves. He chose to live like an idiot and it cost him his life. I've heard so many of these stories now that I'm losing my ability to feel any compassion for them, and that's a sad thing for myself.

• Members

Not sad, predictable. He was just another punk druggie, and as bad as it is for me to say that about someone with problems, that's what it comes down to. It's sad for his family, but he chose that life and that's where it leads. No one has a gun to their head to do drugs, no one. It's a choice people make for themselves. He chose to live like an idiot and it cost him his life. I've heard so many of these stories now that I'm losing my ability to feel any compassion for them, and that's a sad thing for myself.

He was probably exposed to that lifestyle since he started acting so young. Probably not his fault. When they're that young in Hollywood (or anywhere else), {censored} happens. Look at River Phoenix. On the other hand, they can get clean like Drew Barrymore did.

• Members

I was having this discusson with an old friend the other evening.

Having spent some time around the theater, it is my belief that the truly gifted actors are all more than a little mad to begin with.

Throw Hollywood and money into the mix and it's a wonder any of them make it...

• Members

He was probably exposed to that lifestyle since he started acting so young. Probably not his fault. When they're that young in Hollywood (or anywhere else), {censored} happens. Look at River Phoenix. On the other hand, they can get clean like Drew Barrymore did.

I disagree. Things like shooting up don't just 'happen' to someone, they choose to do it. He chose to try to steal a yacht, that's a choice. Everyone makes choices and they know the consequences, every actor doesn't grow up to be a drug addict or worse. Certainly some people are more apt to get hooked on things, but they are the ones making that decision, not their environment, exposure etc. They do it themselves. Even small children know when something is right or wrong, regardless of their upbringing and exposure. Whether or not they care, or respect anyone else but themselves and what they want is the question. Kids like this one don't care, but they certainly know the consequences of what they choose to do.

• Members

I was having this discusson with an old friend the other evening.

Having spent some time around the theater, it is my belief that the truly gifted actors are all more than a little mad to begin with.

Definitely some truth to that. Look at all the whacko scientologist actors...

• Members

Definitely some truth to that. Look at all the whacko scientologist actors...

The best actors empty their souls out completely and fill themselves up with someone elses.

Do that over and over again and see how your mind handles it.

Most people's sense of identity won't even allow them to imagine such a thing...

• Members

Kids like this one don't care, but they certainly know the consequences of what they choose to do.

That's the thing though, they're *kids*...The difference between kids and adults is precisely that adults are (theoretically) capable of long-term thinking, of proper understanding of consequences, of rational decision making. A 14 year old kid doesn't fully understand the consequences of all his/her actions. That's why we don't let kids drive, or let them drink, because they're not capable of bearing such responsibilities.

Drew Barrymore was drinking at 9 and entered Rehab for coke addiction at 13, and entered Rehab again at 14...You're telling me that at 9, she understood all the consequences of alcohol abuse? At 13 she understood the consequences of cocaine use?

If he had started using drugs in his 20s, I'd say sure, he is at a point where he could understand all the consequences (even if he didn't, he could)...But he didn't, he started drug and alcohol abuse as a teenager. A teenager making six figures per film from the age of 12 living in LA...

People choose to use drugs, they don't choose to become addicted. No one decides one day "I'm going to become a smack junkie". That's precisely why child stars are so much more likely than the general populace to have such issues, because they live in a world that mitigates consequences, a world that tells them that anything goes.

You said "Even small children know when something is right or wrong, regardless of their upbringing and exposure."...Have you worked with abused kids? Kids from messed up circumstances? I can tell you, your statement is demonstrably false. I've seen 6 year old sociopaths, kids that have no more connection to other humans than you do to an ant. I've seen kids who lack any conception of consequence. Upbringing and environment can have absolutely massive effects on how people perceive things. Look at the number of people "overcome by fame". If environment didn't warp perceptions, then rock stars, actors, etc. shouldn't be any more likely to have issues than anyone else. But they obviously do.

That doesn't mean they're not responsible for the consequences of their behavior (Brad Renfro has obviously faced the final consequences of his behavior), but the idea that "He just needed to choose not to do it" or that "It was clearly wrong but he did it anyway" ignores a number of significant factors...

• Members

I really liked "Bully", which was an indi film he wrote and directed, and he was also in that Hell's Kitchen NY movie ("Deuces Wild?") -- he was such a promising kid with talent that couldn't control his vices -- seems to be a repeating story with lots of talented people of all arts...Shame

• Members

That's the thing though, they're *kids*...The difference between kids and adults is precisely that adults are (theoretically) capable of long-term thinking, of proper understanding of consequences, of rational decision making. A 14 year old kid doesn't fully understand the consequences of all his/her actions. That's why we don't let kids drive, or let them drink, because they're not capable of bearing such responsibilities.

Drew Barrymore was drinking at 9 and entered Rehab for coke addiction at 13, and entered Rehab again at 14...You're telling me that at 9, she understood all the consequences of alcohol abuse? At 13 she understood the consequences of cocaine use?

If he had started using drugs in his 20s, I'd say sure, he is at a point where he could understand all the consequences (even if he didn't, he
could
)...But he didn't, he started drug and alcohol abuse as a teenager. A teenager making six figures per film from the age of 12 living in LA....

I don't disagree, KK, but I think Tom was answering the "Probably not his fault." statement. Unfortunately, yes, it probably was his fault. No matter what the circumstances leading to his addiction, he continued the behavior even after being arrested more than once. Society tends to place blame on every except the person who did it...his parents, his teachers (NCLB!), his church, his friends, etc., so surely it was not his fault, huh? :rolleyes:

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Put the blame where it belongs.

• Members

Miles Davis famously quipped: "I don't make this music because I do drugs, I do drugs because I make this music."

I was having this discusson with an old friend the other evening. Having spent some time around the theater, it is my belief that the truly gifted actors are all more than a little mad to begin with.

It's sad in a way. But why not celebrate what they manage to give us before they burn out? I certainly don't hold anger toward them - but then again, I've never held them as larger than life heroes anyway. They are just people, and who those people are has much to do with their output, their choices, and their early exits.

BTW - who was this guy??

• Moderators

I disagree. Things like shooting up don't just 'happen' to someone, they choose to do it. He chose to try to steal a yacht, that's a choice. Everyone makes choices and they know the consequences, every actor doesn't grow up to be a drug addict or worse. Certainly some people are more apt to get hooked on things, but they are the ones making that decision, not their environment, exposure etc. They do it themselves. Even small children know when something is right or wrong, regardless of their upbringing and exposure. Whether or not they care, or respect anyone else but themselves and what they want is the question. Kids like this one don't care, but they certainly know the consequences of what they choose to do.

True, they choose to do it, but they're kids, and kids sometimes make bad decisions. I know I did. My guess is that a young man in Mr Renfro's position had not only lots more bad choices open to him, but more pressure to make them than most of us did. That doesn't absolve him of responsibility, but it does show why he might have chosen as he did, and how others might do the same.

• Members

I think there is something about today's cult of celebrity and the surroundings and lifestyle of the typical "star" that implicitly promotes and encourages irresponsible behavior. If someone has a predilection that way to begin with, it's that much worse. Still sad, but yes, they do "do it to themselves", though not without substantial enablement from others, including the public. Any time we treat celebrities like they deserve special treatment just because of their fame, we're enabling self-destructive cases like this. Doesn't matter whether it's an actor, a rocker, or Britney, the more they're allowed to get away with, the more likely they are to eventually destroy themselves.

• Members

It's a shame and a waste of a life. However, when it gets right down to it, we are all responsible for our own individual actions. So is he.

I don't blame society, or fame, or the media, or Holloywood, or anyone else for his actions. They are his own.

Archived