I just added 10 years of fretwear to the SB2

willsellout

• Members

Yeah so when I originally levelled the frets, turns out that the neck had some relief in it and I ended up grinding down the first and last couple frets. I was having a lot of difficulty with the nut as well.

So today I levelled the frets, knowing for certain the neck was straight as a board with this

3814_1lg.jpg

It's nice to know for sure the neck is straight. I ended up leveling for about an hour or so and took off a lot of fret material. The bass will need a refret in a few years for sure. Then I cut the nut slots lower, did a full setup and intonation and she plays like a dream. Action is right around .40 on all strings and it is pretty effortless to play. At least now I know I can do it right:D.

I also noticed whilst doing this job that the SB2 has a lot of finish checking and a couple more dings and chips....I guess I'm part of the relic club:lol:

Dan

• Members

Yeah so when I originally levelled the frets, turns out that the neck had some relief in it and I ended up grinding down the first and last couple frets. I was having a lot of difficulty with the nut as well.

So today I levelled the frets, knowing for certain the neck was straight as a board with this

3814_1lg.jpg

It's nice to know for sure the neck is straight. I ended up leveling for about an hour or so and took off a lot of fret material. The bass will need a refret in a few years for sure. Then I cut the nut slots lower, did a full setup and intonation and she plays like a dream. Action is right around .40 on all strings and it is pretty effortless to play. At least now I know I can do it right:D.

I also noticed whilst doing this job that the SB2 has a lot of finish checking and a couple more dings and chips....I guess I'm part of the relic club:lol:

Dan

That looks nothing like an SB2...

sorry

• Members

With the price of the tools alone I can get 2-3 levellings.

If you have good frets in the first place, it's not an operation that needs to be done more than every over 4-5 years.

Not worth it for me.

So far I've leveled three of my basses (the SB2 twice:D). That pays for the tools. Mike Lull charges 200 bucks for a leveling and some places I've gone to won't even do anything beyond a regular setup. Beyond convenience though, I find it fun to do and the way my basses play afterwards is wonderful.

Dan

• Moderators

I think that everytime I see someone who has worn down their frets.

I guess we just dont play enough

:idk:

That's me. I'm easy on my frets, but seriously I've seen my cousin wear out a guitar in a couple of years. Grooves 0.01" deep, which is really f'in deep in a fret. Time to practice some more....

• Members

That's me. I'm easy on my frets, but seriously I've seen my cousin wear out a guitar in a couple of years. Grooves 0.01" deep, which is really f'in deep in a fret. Time to practice some more....

I wore out the frets on my first bass within about 18 months. :o

I'm much easier on the frets now though. I wouldn't dare touch them with tools without doing a course on it or something. I'd end up f'n it up. :p

• Members

Well i played my encore solely for about 4 years and still played it once a week over the other 7 years i've owned it and the frets are only showing signs of wear that might affect playing now.

What bass was your first SB, must have had some monkey metal frets on it!

• Members

Yeah that's the high precision skilled luthier part , that and shaping nuts are left up to the pro . Now you got to pay one to do a fret job . :thu::lol: Even a so called "luthier" can screw it up . One of the hardest things to get done is a fret job on a Les Paul , shaping the fret ends into the binding like when it is Original . it takes many hours and a very skilled tech . One reason you see so many Les Paul refrets without this , just a minor detail but few have mastered it . I always gauge the skill of the tech on his fret work . Sadly there are few guys around here , in fact now that Rick Turner moved north and his helper Bill Asher closed shop , there is only one guy around here

http://www.bestfrets.com/flash/index.htm

and maybe if you like

http://www.carruthersguitars.com/

or http://www.mccabes.com/ but you never know . I would probably send it out to Rick Turner or drive the 5 hours to get there or

http://www.mikelull.com/welcome%20frames.htm

but yeah :p:lol::poke:

• Moderators

Yeah that's the high precision skilled luthier part , that and shaping nuts are left up to the pro . Now you got to pay one to do a fret job .
:thu::lol:
Even a so called "luthier" can screw it up . One of the hardest things to get done is a fret job on a Les Paul , shaping the fret ends into the binding like when it is Original . it takes many hours and a very skilled tech . One reason you see so many Les Paul refrets without this , just a minor detail but few have mastered it . I always gauge the skill of the tech on his fret work . Sadly there are few guys around here , in fact now that Rick Turner moved north and his helper Bill Asher closed shop , there is only one guy around here

http://www.bestfrets.com/flash/index.htm

and maybe if you like

http://www.carruthersguitars.com/

or
http://www.mccabes.com/
but you never know . I would probably send it out to Rick Turner or drive the 5 hours to get there or

http://www.mikelull.com/welcome%20frames.htm

but yeah
:p
:lol::poke:

Sad is right. The only extra step required is under cutting the fret tang to not interfere with the binding. That is trained monkey work. If you can't find someone capable of that, I wouldn't trust the people you find with ANY work. There is a reason to do this work yourself. Unless the tech is someone that gets paid to make custom instruments, it is rare to find someone with aptitude and not because it is difficult work to master. :freak: If we as musicians cared enough to pay more for this work it would draw more capable people. However, since it is easy enough to perform the work oneself at a very high level, those that care tend to learn and do it themselves.

• Members

The guy that I bring my basses to get setup and work done on them does Gibson fretjobs properly. I've seen some of his own work too and its amazing.

He's done some resto work on Gibsons that have been abused and its astonishing. I saw a pic of a jazzbox that he worked on, at some point it had a cutaway put into it. He put it back to non-cutaway and refin'd the top, it looked like it was original again. :eek:

• Members

Sad is right. The only extra step required is under cutting the fret tang to not interfere with the binding. That is trained monkey work. If you can't find someone capable of that, I wouldn't trust the people you find with ANY work. There is a reason to do this work yourself. Unless the tech is someone that gets paid to make custom instruments, it is rare to find someone with aptitude and not because it is difficult work to master.
:freak:
If we as musicians cared enough to pay more for this work it would draw more capable people. However, since it is easy enough to perform the work oneself at a very high level, those that care tend to learn and do it themselves.

for me it was never a question , my fretwork or Rick Turner's . Don't get me wrong I do all the setups and this and that to my instruments but I draw the line between my current skills and when there's at least 1 Master Luthier in town , I have no problem paying for their work . Funny thing I have not needed one in many many years , but 1 of these days my prized '96 Schecter will need a refret and I won't be doing it :lol::freak: Current refret prices are 200 to 300 $ . :eek::rolleyes: But done right ;)

Archived