I just added 10 years of fretwear to the SB2

willsellout

• Members
for me it was never a question , my fretwork or Rick Turner's . Don't get me wrong I do all the setups and this and that to my instruments but I draw the line between my current skills and when there's at least 1 Master Luthier in town , I have no problem paying for their work . Funny thing I have not needed one in many many years , but 1 of these days my prized '96 Schecter will need a refret and I won't be doing it
:lol::freak:
Current refret prices are 200 to 300 $ .
:eek::rolleyes:
But done right
;)

Well I eventually want to learn how to fret an instrument as well as make nuts. For now I'm satisfied with doing my own setups and levelling and crowning. Like Kindness said, the work isn't "hard", it's maticulous and time consuming but know that I did it right and seeing how my basses play afterwards...there is some satisfaction in it. A lot of people say their basses haven't ever needed a level and crown and I thought the same thing until I did them on my basses and saw the difference in playability.

Plus I learen my instruments in an outs. Yesterday I learned how the neck tilt in the G&L worked and because of that subsequently had it playing better than it has ever played.

Dan

• Members

The tech I've been going to has a backlog for fretwork until April. He's even closed the shop to customer's two days a week to try to catch up. His work is first rate, and he's done a few difficult things for me including a near total restoration of a 50-60 year old acoustic guitar tha was my late uncle's. It was a very tough job and turned out great. I have a tough time letting my 'kids' get in the hands of anyone else, and it's a long wait but the workmanship is worth it.

• Members

The tech I've been going to has a backlog for fretwork until April. He's even closed the shop to customer's two days a week to try to catch up. His work is first rate, and he's done a few difficult things for me including a near total restoration of a 50-60 year old acoustic guitar tha was my late uncle's. It was a very tough job and turned out great. I have a tough time letting my 'kids' get in the hands of anyone else, and it's a long wait but the workmanship is worth it.

Yeah I had a old Spector that needed some fretwork and took it to a local repair shop in Long Beach and they told me that they wouldn't do a level and crown because it took too long to do. I currently live in a small town and the two guys who do repair work don't work on basses because they require different tools. The one nut I had done on the SB2 was botched a bit. Of course I didn't realize it at the time but once I learned what a nut is supposed to look like and how it is supposed to funtion I bought the nut files and corrected it. I can't guarantee anyone else' work but I can mine.

Dan

• Members

wow, this thread is crazy!

I've been playing bass for 8 years and owned a total of 6 basses (and 2 guitars) over this period and I never gave something like a fret leveling job a single thought.

see, now that's what i thought.

guitars OTOH, well.....

and if i were to ever get a refret, i'd def go stainless steel, so i'd never have to do it again

Archived