maybe I'm crazy - LONG post

poomwah

• Members

as you all know, I'm getting rid of my prestige soundgear. I appreciate all the help and advice that you have all given me on trying to find the sound I want. Now here's the crazy part, out of everything I've been considering and looking into, the one leading the "race" to be my next instrument is actually an sx p/j. Should I feel totally stupid going from something as "fancy" as a prestige soungear to something like an sx?

The close second is an olp 4 string. I have an olp 5 string that I don't like to play because I don't like the way a 5 string feels, BUT, it has almost the tone I want without even plugging it in, I have no complaints about the build quality or fit and finish of it, the electronics kinda suck, but thats easy enough to change, especially if I'm getting the sound I want unplugged, and pretty close to the sound I want when I plug in right?

Third place is a gibson ripper, if I can find one cheap enough that is worth fixing, or IF I can fix mine. except for it being fretless, it has almost the sound I want.

Runners up, are the epiphone thunderbird, never played one, played a gibson version and loved it. And the epiphone eb-3 havent got to play one yet, but love the sound clips I've heard and love the way they look.

I have NO experience with the sx, but have heard great things about them on here, and everybody talks about the jazz growl, and I love phil lynott's sound and he plays a P, and on top of that, the sx's are cheap enough that I could take what I get from the soundgear, by an sx, and put some money into my rig.

• Moderators
. . . . .

• an sx p/j.

• olp /it has almost the tone I want . . . .I'm getting the sound I want unplugged, and pretty close to the sound I want when I plug in right?

• Third place is a gibson ripper, if . . . . . .t has almost the sound I want.

If it's a slab bass, I'm not quite sure what the tone of it being unplugged is really worth, since that tone would never be heard except in dead silence. If the OLP is only running second because it's a 5ver, then you may want to try a couple of basses out at your local stores that have the MM style pickup. ONe of the best basses out there for the money are MTD Kingstons. I'm not quite sure how an SX P/J is going to "get you there" tonally. I happen to own quite a few P/J basses and can tell you that tonally there is practically nothing similar tonally about the P/J setup verses the single MM (I owned a Stingray for a while and also have one of those Kingstons I'm talking about).

• Members

Well, i don't think you are crazy, as i dig the tone i have with my partner's squier jazz 96' "stock". This thing costed less than 300 euros (1800 francs at this time) and have the most comfortable neck i ever played, and a very good jazzbass tone. So if you think about it, go for it.

• Members

You SHOULD feel stupid! That is, if the opinion (snobbery) of others is more important to you than your own satisfaction.

But if that sx p/j is the instrument that feels best in your hands and produces the sound you want, that is what you shoud go for. Just remember: Opinions are like nostrils, everyone has at least one. Do what works FOR YOU.

• Members

I'm not quite sure how an SX P/J is going to "get you there" tonally. I happen to own quite a few P/J basses and can tell you that tonally there is practically nothing similar tonally about the P/J setup verses the single MM

My thoughts exactly. Minus owning a P/J that is...but I have played a few.

Also, don't assume that swapping electronics is going to keep the bass sounding the same as it does when it's unplugged. Depending on what you get, it will drastically alter the sound.

Archived