Somewhat OT: You Got a Favorite Guitar Sound?

blueyedmule

• Members

Les Paul and a Ampeg VT-22.
:thu:

...a VT-22 just like mine! Actually, I'm in the process of trying to locate somebody who wants to trade a left-handed Les Paul for my vintage Vox AC30, so I can have the Keef setup in the pic.

• Members

I like a lot of guitar tones.

John Petrucci - Most of his tones are really good.

Rob Flynn - the distortion on all of Burn My Eyes is the best I've ever heard. It's so heavy. None But My Own displays it VERY well in the beginning when it's first introduced.

Dimebag - Always a classic. I not a fan a SS distorted guitar, but he did it justice no matter what. Far Beyond Driven has some really good tone on it!

If I had to pick amps...Peavey 5150 block letter, Mesa Dual Rec, Mesa Triaxis/2:90

Guitars with humbuckers...DiMarzio preferably. D Sonic in the bridge, Air Norton in the neck...

• Members

One of my favorite guitarists is Ty Tabor of King's X. On their Dogman cd there's a song called Black the Sky. What Ty does with his guitar on that song has literally brought tears to my eyes. It's not complicated riffs, or . . .dunno. He just hit all the right notes and bends at the right time. Kills me to think about. I'd be interested to see what gear he was using on that album and song.

Love Ty's stuff! :cool:

What a player.

• Members

Favorite guitar sound. I guess this guy here. I don't know who he is or what guitar he's playing, but I've never seen a guitar like that...must have been a special built one-of-a-kind deal.

Anyway, I think it sounds kinda cool. Who is this guy? :D

[YOUTUBE]5D-xoRqU8Dk[/YOUTUBE]

God how I miss this man...:cry:

• Members

I loved the acoustic guitar sounds Rick Rubin got on Johnny Cash's last few albums. I also dig Willie Nelson's sound - an old classical played with a flatpick.

As far as electric tones go, I loved Dimebag's tone, especially on things like the solo in "Walk." I also dig Tom Morello's ability to get different sounds out of a guitar using effects, like the solo in Audioslave's "Like a Stone." He's a great an innovative guitar player, but he's such a clueless political hack that his interviews can be painful to read (if the interviewer strays into that territory).

• Members

I loved the acoustic guitar sounds Rick Rubin got on Johnny Cash's last few albums. I also dig Willie Nelson's sound - an old classical played with a flatpick.

As far as electric tones go, I loved Dimebag's tone, especially on things like the solo in "Walk." I also dig Tom Morello's ability to get different sounds out of a guitar using effects, like the solo in Audioslave's "Like a Stone." He's a great an innovative guitar player, but he's such a clueless political hack that his interviews can be painful to read (if the interviewer strays into that territory).

Interesting you should bring up Willie Nelson. That's a direction that was totally unexpected. Yeah, I could listen to "Old Morbid" (as my 70+ year old dad calls him;)) quite a bit, if it's just him and his old guitar, or maybe a bass and drums sneaked in behind him. I think less is better for him.

I guess another direction, then, is the hollowbody Gresch rockabilly Setzer thang. I'm good with that, up to a point. I can get worn out on the licks after a time though.

• Members

I could go on and on, but I'll narrow it to a couple that haven't been mentioned.

Slash's Les Paul on Sweet Child O'Mine was so deep and warm, the best Les Paul sound ever. When that song comes on I stop what I'm doing and turn it up.

Randy Rhoads on Blizzard and Diary was so huge and impressive. Like Edge, his tone transcended the instrument he was playing and was completely unique to him. For my money, the best metal guitar tone ever recorded.

• Members

I could go on and on, but I'll narrow it to a couple that haven't been mentioned.

Slash's Les Paul on Sweet Child O'Mine was so deep and warm, the best Les Paul sound ever. When that song comes on I stop what I'm doing and turn it up.

Randy Rhoads on Blizzard and Diary was so huge and impressive. Like Edge, his tone transcended the instrument he was playing and was completely unique to him. For my money, the best metal guitar tone ever recorded.

Randy's sound wasn't thick like most bands on the Detune Express go for, but definitely a classic "I wanna sound like THAT" rock sound that, as you said, was waaaaaaay more hands than gear. Part of the charm of those albums was the idea (lost, sadly these days) of spacing. A thinner guitar sound, more trebly, might not sound so good in your bedroom when you're in your underwear playing rawkgod in front of the mirror, but it leaves room for other instruments to be heard, and for vocals to be heard. Evidently Randy got that. His sound was probably crafted as much on-stage, while playing, as when he was working by himself.

I'm dead-on for the Les Paul sound. The more I think of guys I like who are known for Les Pauls, the more I realise that that's a huge thing for me.

Another Les Paul guy, Joe Perry. What's not to like there? :thu:

Archived