Somewhat OT: You Got a Favorite Guitar Sound?

blueyedmule

• Members

Yeah, I said the "g" word in a thread. Hope it doesn't get deleted! ;)

I believe that appreciation for the other instruments and players behind them informs us musically. So I appreciate a great guitar sound, and over the years have come to notice that, for instance, the "SRV Screamin' Texas Strat" sound can drive my bar tab past my credit limit. I just wanna party to that. And as a player I'm supremely happy behind a Gibson-equipped guitarist, be it an SG or Les Paul. Telecasters can be cool but in general don't get me goin' like a Gibson does. So, boiled down, I'm really a Gibson guy in this way, if I had to choose one. I just like what comes out of Gibsons, how they voice their pickups, what that does to amps and tubes and all that, somehow it comes out as this fat, screamin', creamy madness that sounds like what I think a guitar should.

And that makes me wanna get up on my bad bass and rock!

If you had to choose one signature guitar sound to get behind as a bassist, what would it be? Or have you thought about it much?

• Members

I love the 80's LA rock tone, heard on so many albums. A good example of it is this track from Vai. It's the best example I know of that can get a real nice smooth high gain tone that still retains enough clarity to hear all the tones in some complex chords. Not just for I/V power chords! Of course having Vai's skills doesn't hurt either...;)

http://www.last.fm/music/Steve+Vai/_/Die+to+Live

• Members

I love the 80's LA rock tone, heard on so many albums. A good example of it is this track from Vai. It's the best example I know of that can get a real nice smooth high gain tone that still retains enough clarity to hear all the tones in some complex chords. Not just for I/V power chords! Of course having Vai's skills doesn't hurt either...
;)

True, the player is a HUGE part of the equation. I'd get behind Vai if he were building his own guitars down at the local high school woodshop!

What's he been playing these days, Ibanez?

• Members

True, the player is a HUGE part of the equation. I'd get behind Vai if he were building his own guitars down at the local high school woodshop!

What's he been playing these days, Ibanez?

Yep. He played a few one-offs when I saw his show this past summer, like an all plexiglass guitar and one with a mirror finish. But he mostly played Flo and Evo, his Ibanez mainstay's.

• Members

Yep. He played a few one-offs when I saw his show this past summer, like an all plexiglass guitar and one with a mirror finish. But he mostly played Flo and Evo, his Ibanez mainstay's.

Ibanez loaded with Dimarzio pickups, right? And one of his best bass buds, Billy Sheehan, is also a Dimarzio guy albeit his relationship basswise is with Yamaha.

Dimarzio pickups are it for me, short of anything boutique/custom/low-production.

• Members

I've got a couple:

youtube

youtube

And Pete Townshend's tone on Live at Leeds

The first was a Les Paul. Not sure about the second. And what did Pete play? Wasn't he pretty much a Strat guy?? I like Strats as long as you stay away from the thinner sound that some really like. I dig fatass chunky guitar, or at least a fuller sound.

• Members

One of my favorite guitarists is Ty Tabor of King's X. On their Dogman cd there's a song called Black the Sky. What Ty does with his guitar on that song has literally brought tears to my eyes. It's not complicated riffs, or . . .dunno. He just hit all the right notes and bends at the right time. Kills me to think about. I'd be interested to see what gear he was using on that album and song.

• Members

The first was a Les Paul. Not sure about the second. And what did Pete play? Wasn't he pretty much a Strat guy?? I like Strats as long as you stay away from the thinner sound that some really like. I dig fatass chunky guitar, or at least a fuller sound.

Live at Leeds was a SG with P-90s through a cranked Hiwatt. It's one of the best recorded guitar tones ever, IMO.

• Members

Ahhh, that IS Keef! What's he playin' in that pic? Isn't he another Strat guy?? I know that's not a Strat in that picture. . .

That's a Les Paul. I don't think of Keef as a Strat guy, as he's used so many different guitars.

• Members

The first was a Les Paul through Marshalls, the second was a Les Paul through Hiwatts. And Pete's LAL sound was SG Specials (w/P-90 single coils) through Hiwatt stacks.

Actually, Martin Barre (before the 80s), Pete Townshend, and David Gilmour are probably my favorite guitarists, and they get my favorite tones. Robin Trower is up there, as well.

• Members

Surprised that you bassists like some very BASSY sounding guitars!!!

80s active pickups and Mesa/Boogie is probably the absolute ANTITHESIS of what I consider 'good tone'.

I love the sound of P-90s tbh - like an LP Goldtop, and Fender amps, especially smaller ones like a Princeton.

• Members

Surprised that you bassists like some very BASSY sounding guitars!!!

80s active pickups and Mesa/Boogie is probably the absolute ANTITHESIS of what I consider 'good tone'.

I love the sound of P-90s tbh - like an LP Goldtop, and Fender amps, especially smaller ones like a Princeton.

+1 I love P90's! :love:

Mick%20Jones%20and%20Joe%20Strummer.jpg

Mick & Joe

Can't get better than a Les Paul Jr. and a Tele!

:thu:

Archived