what is the most musical bass amp on the market?

Steveanders86

• Moderators

im not a bass play by any means, but my bass player is looking at the aguilar db750 head. we want a nice warm, punchy and tight tone. lots of musicality. he is very victor wooten influenced. he is a very dynamic player. any suggestions?

What is musicality? Which knob controls it?

• Members

I just played thru one last night(Aggie DB750). I've been wanting to play thru one for some time. It's VERY nice, and downright special sounding. That said, your paying a LOT of $$$ for something only slightly better than other tranny powered amps.

I like the way they sound, but they're {censored}ing heavy, and {censored}ing expensive. I don't think they do anything worth what they cost, personally. IMO they're ahead of the Point of Diminishing Returns for bass amps, just like Edens and Ampeg SVT's.

For a reasonably priced amp that can go "warm" and "present", check out a GK1001rbII. I think it sounds just as good and gets just as loud as the db750, but costs less than half and weighs less than half.

If he's just gotta drop a grip of money on an amp, have him check out a Euphonic Audio iAmp800.

C7

• Moderators

maybe musical is a guitar term and not a bass term?
:o

Bwahahaha. :eek:

I'm just giving you a hard time. I know what you mean, but it is difficult to convey these concepts with words. In my mind, a musical amp would be naturally voiced to compliment the mix in which it would be used and have useful preamp controls whose use did not immediately remove the amp from its complimentary voicing.

Most professional level amps are exceptional at meeting these criteria. The difficulty is in determining the natural voicing that will be "most musical" for your situation. In the denser mixes in which I play I favor amps that have noticeable low end roll off and strong mids; hence the Thunderfunk and Ampeg V-4B. In the sparser mixes in which I play I favor amps with a deeper voicing and less of a high mid presence; hence the custom made Showman clone I built. I personally tweaked the tone stack to meet my requirements for those situations. Which is more musical? Depends on the context.

My experience with the Aggie told me that the tightness was more a function of the power than the tone stack. With the right cabinet (more important that the amp) there is no better amp than that, just many many on the same level as equal, but different.

• Members

Or maybe you aren't very good at explaining yourself.

Just turn up the "Soar" control, and you should be fine.

your right, i am terrible with words. we just want a bass amp that has a "suck" knob that we can adjust as needed. :thu:

but i think we are going to the local guitar store and try out some amps and guitars so we'll see how this aguilar sounds.

• Members

your right, i am terrible with words. we just want a bass amp that has a "suck" knob that we can adjust as needed.
:thu:

but i think we are going to the local guitar store and try out some amps and guitars so we'll see how this aguilar sounds.

Paging Lug to the "suck" counter...

Lug to the "suck" counter...

Archived