OT: First motorbike

seraphim7s

• Members

I gather a few of you on the forum ride them.

I'm coming into some money in the summer, and I thought it would be great to get a bike. Running a car in Europe is very, very expensive, so a bike seems like a great option.

Me and my gf live in the city, so we would use it to drive off to Cumbria, or Anglesey etc ... journeys of 100-200 miles on the weekend. Also to go and see relatives in the NW.

I don't plan on using it for commuting and stuff, but it would be good if it was a bike also suited for city usage.

So I'd like something safe, comfy, reliable ... not showy ... something that will get the job done with minimum fuss and doesn't cost too much. Think VFM / bang for the buck etc ... so what kind of bike should I go for?

PLEASE bear in mind I know NOTHING about bikes, so any advice should be on 'dullard' level.

• CMS Author

Well, those are fairly long rides, and riding 2-up (that's the term for having a passenger...add to your glossary of biker terms;)) with your old lady (more glossary) means you need something with a bigger frame and engine than your basic small sportbike. A big cruiser or a dresser (bike with saddlebags) is usually well suited for this use.

Here in the states, I'd be looking at a Harley Road King, a Yamaha V-Star 1300, or equivalent from Honda or Suzuki. They're big and rather expensive. But used models are in order as a first bike, and should be plentiful. Of course, I'm assuming the US market, and yours probably has plenty of differences. I'm not expecting you to go out and get a Harley, can only imagine what they cost there.....:eek:

Triumph and Moto Guzzi make really nice bikes in this category, and they probably aren't as expensive in your location.

Anyway, this is a start, and you'll get a LOT of opinions, many strong ones too. Take everything with a grain of salt (including my advice) and look everywhere. Don't be afraid to visit dealers and ask a lot of questions. And never, ever, lie about your skill or experience. If you're a novice, say so, and the dealer can be a lot more helpful.

If there's such thing there as a motorcycle safety course, please take it. And get a good helmet.

• Members

Hmmm ... I was hoping I wouldn't have to get anything too big and expensive ... but obviously a small bike would be impractical for a 2 hour journey.

I've heard the Japs make great 'bikes. I think a Harley would be prohibitively expensive in the UK :eek:

Road safety is pretty good in the UK - we have some of the safest roads in the world - and I'll be going on a proper course and everything. After all, it won't just be me on the bike, but the love of my life!

• Members

You've basically asked "I want something with strings, what do you recommend?" Need more info! :)

What kind of bikes do you like? Are you looking for a sports touring bike, straight cruiser, etc? Do you like the old school looking harleys, modern looking cruisers, etc? Are you looking for an entry level bike or something you won't outgrow? What's your price range?

Those are long rides, so you of course want something comfortable. If it were me, I would for something sporty like the SV650 or an older interceptor. I also really like triumph cruisers. The speedmaster and american-whatever are both awesome.

• Members

I think a Harley would be prohibitively expensive in the UK
:eek:

Consider yourself lucky that you won't be tempted anyway. Not to derail your thread, but Harley's are POS money pits. You pay more for a name and tradition, not quality ;)

• CMS Author

Hmmm ... I was hoping I wouldn't have to get anything too big and expensive ... but obviously a small bike would be impractical for a 2 hour journey.

I've heard the Japs make great 'bikes. I think a Harley would be prohibitively expensive in the UK
:eek:

Road safety is pretty good in the UK - we have some of the safest roads in the world - and I'll be going on a proper course and everything. After all, it won't just be me on the bike, but the love of my life!

Cool, you're paying attention.:D

Look for something with 10k miles on it, that's a standard style of bike....not a crotch-rocket, not a severely laid back chopper. Something where you and the old lady can sit comfortably, you can easily put feet flat on the ground when stopped (never EVER put feet down while rolling), and you seem comfortable with the reach to the bars. Have the salesperson straddle the front wheel so you can sit with feet on the pegs so you can evaluate this.

I don't expect you to know whether you're comfy at first or not....hell, if you haven't ridden, doing these things will be like lying on a new mattress in a store...how the hell you gonna know if you can sleep on it? But you'll eventually start to see patterns when you try several bikes, and you'll get preferences. Most will go right out the window when you actually get a bike and ride it, but you'll have some information to make choices with at that point.

Don't invest a lot in the first bike. For all the reasons I just stated, you'll very likely want something different soon. Or you'll wreck....there's only two types of bikers; those who've crashed and those who will. Sorry, but it's truth. But the good news is that it doesn't have to result in injury...that's what those courses are for.

• Members

Kawasaki's are pretty nice, my brother has had several of them. Your best bet is to look at the Jap bikes. Harley's are expensive and tend to have their own click among bikers. The same goes for BMW's, they don't get that good a response among other bikers.

I was looking at the Honda Varadero 125 before and was told it was pretty good. :idk: It might not be powerful enough for the trips you want to take. I think they might have made a 250 also, and they make a 1000cc too. But that'd prob be too much.

• Members

Kawasaki's are pretty nice, my brother has had several of them. Your best bet is to look at the Jap bikes. Harley's are expensive and tend to have their own click among bikers. The same goes for BMW's, they don't get that good a response among other bikers.

I was looking at the Honda Varadero 125 before and was told it was pretty good.
:idk:
It might not be powerful enough for the trips you want to take. I think they might have made a 250 also, and they make a 1000cc too. But that'd prob be too much.

For riding as long as he is, and I assume on highways or empty back roads, I would not recommend anything under a high-powered 600. Even some 600's would be too small, but it depends on which engine we're talking about.

• Members

Again one of the very best first bikes on the planet is the Honda CB750, from '91 on to the end of their run. Very stable, very forgiving (well as forgiving as a bike can be), enough power to easily haul two people, comfortable, cheap, stone cold reliable, look good, and a nice amount of power. Put a fairing on the front for the longer rides and you could literally rid it all day long. I had one for five years and loved every moment of it. But the best thing about them is that they handle so well, so easily, and are the perfect starter bike. I can't recommend one strong enough to anyone looking for their first bike.

• Members

For riding as long as he is, and I assume on highways or empty back roads, I would not recommend anything under a high-powered 600. Even some 600's would be too small, but it depends on which engine we're talking about.

Well, because he hasn't got a license yet and will just be starting off that isn't really possible. When he gets his full license he'll be restricted on what bikes he can drive. Specifically, a power output of up to 25kW and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg. :)

• Members

Again one of the very best first bikes on the planet is the Honda CB750, from '91 on to the end of their run. Very stable, very forgiving (well as forgiving as a bike can be), enough power to easily haul two people, comfortable, cheap, stone cold reliable, look good, and a nice amount of power. Put a fairing on the front for the longer rides and you could literally rid it all day long. I had one for five years and loved every moment of it. But the best thing about them is that they handle so well, so easily, and are the perfect starter bike. I can't recommend one strong enough to anyone looking for their first bike.

CBR's are nice bikes. He'd be able to use a CBR250 or possibly a 400 under that restriction. My bro had a fireblade just before he emigrated. It was a beast! :evil:

EDIT: Oops, just saw you said CB and not CBR. Oh well, both are nice. ;)

• Members

Kawasaki engines are virtually bullet-proof. Another good option if you can find one are the older Suzuki GS bikes. At least in the states, they can be found for a good price in good shape and they are very easy to learn to maintain yourself which will save you money down the road. I've got a GS550 that will easily do everything you described.

• Members

Kawasaki engines are virtually bullet-proof. Another good option if you can find one are the older Suzuki GS bikes. At least in the states, they can be found for a good price in good shape and they are very easy to learn to maintain yourself which will save you money down the road. I've got a GS550 that will easily do everything you described.

Oh man, my first bike was a MINT '85 GS550L, and it was a great first bike. I was a dumbass and crashed it though, still kicking myself for that one...:(

• Members

Well, a typical starter bike is a little 250 but it seems like you'll need something bigger than that to commute and also possibly have a passenger.

One thing to keep in mind too- if you've never ridden before, it might be good to get some training like taking a class or something beyond just getting a license. Also, I've heard people typically recommend riding for at least a few hundred miles by yourself and getting really comfortable on a bike before riding with a passenger. Yamaha, Kawi, or Honda all might make a suitable bike that would balance being good to learn on, decent performance, and comfort for long rides... maybe a V-star?

• Members

Along the same lines - Yamaha Virago 750. Mine's a mid-80's bike, and I absolutely love it. Just big enough to be comfortable for longish rides (80-160 miles, definately can handle more) but small enough that it's useful for around-the-city utility use. Super reliable, VERY easy handling, shaft drive which is easier to deal with than chain, smooth power transfer, good gas mileage, versatile. Just a great all around cruiser. Now, you won't impress all the tough-guy harley types, or the cafe racer wannabes, but who cares (is that why you want a bike?).

There is a big following for these bikes, which is great as there are lots of places to go for user tips, parts, upgrades, troubleshooting, etc. There is even a great online forum/community dedicated to the Viragos. See here: http://viragotechforum.com/phpBB/portal.php. EXCELLENT resource.

Couple of things: First, every bike has a weakpoint, or an Achille's heel, and for the Viragos it seems to be the starter. A fair number of folks have had issues with them. Not a big problem to replace if you have to, and chances are you won't, but you might want to ask the history of the starter when you are looking at a particular bike on the used market. The other thing is the gas tank - the only thing I wasn't happy with with my bike was the smallish gas tank. It was plenty big for around town use, but if/when I went on longer rides I found that I wish I had more capacity. Again, no problem - the larger tank from the Virago 950 bolts right on with no modifications, and you can usually find one pretty cheap on E(vil)bay. In fact there are tons of spare parts and such available there.

My vote is for a mid 80's Virago 750, put a windshield and a rear rack on it and you are good to go. (a CB750 would be great too).

Where a helmet.

• Members

I just started riding last summer. A year ago, I was a 'dullard' as well, probably more so than you. I bought a shiny new Kawasaki Ninja 250 and gave myself a 'crash course' so to speak. My buddy wasn't the greatest teacher and he zipped ahead of me in his SV650 over a rickety, wooden, one lane bridge. Needless to say, my front tire got stuck, and I went down and almost fell in a river. The bike slid over the bridge with minimal scuffs, and I learned my lesson, but keep in mind when you are starting out just how easy it is to loose control if you aren't careful.

That being said, take a entry level instructor class. They usually start off assuming you don't even know where the clutch, brake, and shifter are.

Also, start window shopping for gear before you pick out your bike. When I was new I didn't realize just how cold I would get on the long work commutes I have. Even around 50F or so, long rides at highway speeds are very uncomfortable unless you get a thick jacket with many layers and nice warm gloves. Last week I rode 50 miles to work, and when I got there my fingers were pale and blue, and it was 50-52 degrees! And thats with leather gloves!

• Members

I just started riding last summer. A year ago, I was a 'dullard' as well, probably more so than you. I bought a shiny new Kawasaki Ninja 250 and gave myself a 'crash course' so to speak. My buddy wasn't the greatest teacher and he zipped ahead of me in his SV650 over a rickety, wooden, one lane bridge. Needless to say, my front tire got stuck, and I went down and almost fell in a river. The bike slid over the bridge with minimal scuffs, and I learned my lesson, but keep in mind when you are starting out just how easy it is to loose control if you aren't careful.

That being said, take a entry level instructor class. They usually start off assuming you don't even know where the clutch, brake, and shifter are.

Also, start window shopping for gear before you pick out your bike. When I was new I didn't realize just how cold I would get on the long work commutes I have. Even around 50F or so, long rides at highway speeds are very uncomfortable unless you get a thick jacket with many layers and nice warm gloves. Last week I rode 50 miles to work, and when I got there my fingers were pale and blue, and it was 50-52 degrees! And thats with leather gloves!

Oh yeah, it can get damn cold. Also him being in the UK he'll get very wet too. :lol:

Archived