Differences between Fender MIA and MIM J-basses?

Inertiatic_SKS

• Members

I'm looking for a bass and I had the opportunity to play on a Standard J-Bass and I was pretty pleased with it. The neck played really well and I got the exact tone I've been looking for by playing it through an Ampeg SVT-CL and an Ampeg 4x10 cab (not sure what model). I was talking to a guy at the shop I was browsing around at and he told me that MIA J-Basses blew MIM's out of the water. I talked to a friend of mine about it and he said the only huge difference are the pup's and electronics. Any truth to either?

• Members

Haven't checked Fenders out in a while but, a few years back, pretty much everything was different. MIA's had graphite reinforcement rods in the neck, better tuners, pups, wood, tighter specs, string thru bodies, etc... Not sure what improvements they've done to the MIM line in the last 3 years or so though.

• Members

Buy a Highway One and enjoy.

+1

At this price point I think HW1's are a great value. As long as you are ok with the finish(thin nitro-cellulose). They don't look like a new shiney bass and they age (relic) at a much faster rate than the poly finsihed basses. I like them.

• Members

MIMs can be more of a grab bag. I had an MIM P that was better than most MIA p's i've played. However, it took me 3 guitar centers and test driving a lot of basses to find it. Don't look at the headstock when you demo the basses. Just play them, pick the one that sounds best and feels right in your hands.

Also, remember GC and other guitar stores usually have {censored}ty setups on their instruments, so they may play better after they're given some fretwork and TLC.

• Members

Differences between Fender MIA and MIM J-basses? One is made in Mexico by Mexican workers, and the other is made in America....by Mexican workers.
:D

Actually, arent the body's and necks on the MIM's cut out in the US, and sent to mexico for assembly?

• Members

A big difference is in the bridge. With a MIM J-Bass, the screws in the bridge saddles will slip. My first night out with the bass, one of the saddles slipped all the way down and the string completely fretted out. Most people use breakable locktite to secure them.

• Members

My MIM has never been stomped by any other passive Fender I've come across. It's also the heaviest stock Jazz I've ever picked up, at aroud 14-15lbs.

Dang, that's heavy !

You're right though. They are great, especially for the money. I've replaced the nut and I'm putting a Badass Bridge II on it. It will be a fine instrument. The setup is great, and the tone has never left me wanting.

• Members

Dang, that's heavy !

You're right though. They are great, especially for the money. I've replaced the nut and I'm putting a Badass Bridge II on it. It will be a fine instrument. The setup is great, and the tone has never left me wanting.

Mine has always been my standard of excellence.

The only thing that has totally surpassed it has been my Peavey Foundation Five. It's CIA, though, and has a different pickup setup(HH). :p

• Members

OK, maybe this isn't what you're asking, but I think it's worth noting that MIA instruments retain value much better than those made in Mexico, Japan or Korea. So if/when you tire of your MIA Jazz, you'll be able to sell it for more or get more value for your trade-in.

Archived