City Dwellers: How do you get your gear to gigs?

AunShui

• Members

Howdy all!

My new band has our first bar show in a few weeks. The bar is only a mile or so north of where we are...but there is no way in hell i can get my whole rig up and down by walking! So, i'm curious to know what you other city slickers do to move your rig(s?) from place to place on gig day: van? own a car? handcart and stuff it on the subway? suck it up and walk? some genius solution i'm missing?

Attenzione!!!!!!: I live in New York City and as such, do not own a car!

Thank you for your support! :wave:

• Members

3306919.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=BAA3E

Driving worked well when I was in Jersey and had a car, but in NYC...no wheels =(

I keep thinking that van rental is the way to go, and I'm sure the drummer would appreciate as well. Any experiences here?

• Members

Hmm...

Hire a van and driver? I don't know what your local market looks like, but I did a web search when I moved residences in 2001 and ended up hiring Two Guys and a Truck. I'm guessing $50 would get you a van and driver to drop off/pick up your gear at your rehearsal space and venue.

• Members

And a better climber than Sir Edmund Hilary to boot...yet he only gets like 1/64th the recognition.

i dont know about the better climber bit. and i doubt you do too.

most people these days know it was a teem effort .

if your talking about the whole sir bit . who cares , elton jon has one too:confused:

• Members

For my church gigs, I take the metro, so I have a small (Mesa 1x10) guitar amp, a gig bag with FX board in it, and a guitar in a soft case which I strap onto a simple luggage trolley and go. Its just narrow enough to fit through the normal entry gates, and most stations have an elevator to ground level. Of ocurse,its a very specific gig, where being really loud is not really necessary, but you could do the same thing with say a SS 2x10 combo (GK RB400210 springs to mind) and a decent handtruck or trolley. They key isn't weight so much as width. You want to make sure your whole bundle isn't wider than say 20", or about the width of a wheel chair. Good luck!!

Archived