Is there any way to find out of your phone is tapped?

Psilocybin

• Members

and if you're getting those odd crackles and such on your line it's almost certainly tapped, by the investigating authorities.

A few weeks ago my girlfriend tried to make a phone call and said that she heard some sort of morris code type sound and the call didn't go through. A few days later we were unable to make any phone calls for about 12 or more hours. When I would dial a # I would get no ringing. I also noticed, on occasion, the quiet morris code sound in the background. I've had it happen one time since.

On Friday I saw a guy with a Qwest (phone company) truck parked almost across the street from my house. He was doing something to the little green box that is in front of the telephone pole that runs lines to my house and my next door neighbor's home. I didn't go ask him any questions or anything.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A few weeks ago my girlfriend tried to make a phone call and said that she heard some sort of morris code type sound and the call didn't go through. A few days later we were unable to make any phone calls for about 12 or more hours. When I would dial a # I would get no ringing. I also noticed, on occasion, the quiet morris code sound in the background. I've had it happen one time since.

On Friday I saw a guy with a Qwest (phone company) truck parked almost across the street from my house. He was doing something to the little green box that is in front of the telephone pole that runs lines to my house and my next door neighbor's home. I didn't go ask him any questions or anything.

It's "Morse" code, btw. :wave:

That makes me think it's less likely tapping than it is data transfer or even ham radio (CQ) interference. My sister had a huge problem with that in her old house, due to a guy up the hill with a huge ham rig, affected everything, but the land-line phone the most.

But remember, just because the doctor says your paranoid, that doesn't mean they're NOT all out to get you! :p

• Members
It's "Morse" code, btw.
:wave:

That makes me think it's less likely tapping than it is data transfer or even ham radio (CQ) interference.

Imagine that, he had problems with his line, so most likely so did other people on the same strip, and therefore complained. A few days later a guy shows up to fix things and the problem goes away.

Conclusion, yes, your phone was being tapped, they got caught, now the line is safe. :rolleyes:

• Members

Hard to know man - what I meant to say is that authorities can easily tap a line without making a direct connection to it (through inductance, using a coil loop).

Such methods produce no noise or interference on the line.

So it's hard to tell what's going on, exactly.

The best thing is to just be careful what you say on the phone, I guess. ;)

• Members

If you aren't engaged in any illegal activity, you have nothing to fear.

Seriously.

I wish I'd known that when I delivered a sailboat to Florida from Central America last year. We were 90 mi offshore W of Ft Meyers, tacking back & forth waiting on the winds to change so we could make landfall in Ft Meyers. We just got tired of waiting and sailed to Tampa instead.

8 black booted, gun totin, flack jacketed Homeland Security & Customs in their own go fast boat intercepted us in Tampa Bay and took possession of our passports, boat papers, etc.. They proceeded to 'capture' the boat and towed us to the USCG dock were we were met by another dozen black booted, gun totin Customs, Deputy sheriffs, Immigration & Coast Guardsmen. Then they began to (literally) tear the boat apart looking for drugs.

We think the AWACS saw us tacking back & forth, thought we were hanging out, waiting on a pickup boat. They just KNEW we had drugs on board. Everything was taken apart (not one screw left in place), holes drilled in panels, wires cut, plumbing taken apart, carpeting ripped up, everything dumped out in a big pile & searched. Big black scuff marks all over the hull, broken stuff. All the while threatening to cut the boat up into pieces("we can do that") unless we 'fessed up where the drugs were hidden.

We were never under arrest but the way they treated us was extremely intimidating. It was clear we were guilty until proven innocent. Rights? What rights... they were completely within their (Patriot Act) authority to do what they did.

Their tactics were so Gestapo-like I'm sure I now have a good feel for how the German Jews felt in 1938. I'm not exaggerating! It was really that intense.

And after 8 hours of searching they decided there really were no drugs so they just gathered up all their stuff and left. No help putting stuff back together, no 'sorry, we're just doing our job', nothing. Took us a week to get everything back together.

Now, even though they were in error, we are definitely now 'in the computer'... my crewmate recently flew into the U.S. and when he arrived he was immediately taken aside into a room and interrogated again. If you don't think the U.S. is turning into a police state just try sailing into the US from Central America. I'll never do it again.

• Members
Really.... Tell that to the NSA.

I wish I'd known that when I delivered a sailboat to Florida from Central America last year. We were 90 mi offshore W of Ft Meyers, tacking back & forth waiting on the winds to change so we could make landfall in Ft Meyers. We just got tired of waiting and sailed to Tampa instead.

8 black booted, gun totin, flack jacketed Homeland Security & Customs in their own go fast boat intercepted us in Tampa Bay and took possession of our passports, boat papers, etc.. They proceeded to 'capture' the boat and towed us to the USCG dock were we were met by another dozen black booted, gun totin Customs, Deputy sheriffs, Immigration & Coast Guardsmen. Then they began to (literally) tear the boat apart looking for drugs.

We
think
the AWACS saw us tacking back & forth, thought we were hanging out, waiting on a pickup boat. They just KNEW we had drugs on board.
Everything
was taken apart (not one screw left in place), holes drilled in panels, wires cut, plumbing taken apart, carpeting ripped up, everything dumped out in a big pile & searched. Big black scuff marks all over the hull, broken stuff. All the while threatening to cut the boat up into pieces("we can do that") unless we 'fessed up where the drugs were hidden.

We were never under arrest but the way they treated us was extremely intimidating. It was clear we were guilty until proven innocent. Rights? What rights... they were completely within their (Patriot Act) authority to do what they did.

Their tactics were so Gestapo-like I'm sure I now have a good feel for how the German Jews felt in 1938. I'm not exaggerating! It was really that intense.

And after 8 hours of searching they decided there really were no drugs so they just gathered up all their stuff and left. No help putting stuff back together, no 'sorry, we're just doing our job', nothing. Took us a week to get everything back together.

Now, even though they were in error, we are definitely now 'in the computer'... my crewmate recently flew into the U.S. and when he arrived he was immediately taken aside into a room and interrogated again. If you don't think the U.S. is turning into a police state just try sailing into the US from Central America. I'll never do it again.

:eek: speechless

• Members

Bull{censored}!

There is simply not enough computer power or humans to monitor every telephone call.

Seriously.

Sure there is! They don't really "monitor" every call, i.e. there is not a human listening to every call (international and domestic). Powerful software algorithms check for and flag key words and phrases. The NSA (their thing is signals intelligence) is much larger than the CIA and has a vastly greater budget.

They have much more powerful computers (remember the Crays the gov't bought in the 80s?) and learned from their mistakes. They now classify the existence of their new computers to avoid revealing any inherent weakness the system may have.

PD

• Members

i don't know why people expect any phone privacy at all

most of us are on cell phones broadcasting all our buisness out into the air, air is public property right? that's like writing a message on the side of your house and getting mad when passers by look at it

and i may be wrong but i dont recall anything in my phone contract that said nobody would be listening to my calls

that's why i keep all my secrets confined to HCBF where i know their safe :p

• Members

Bull{censored}!

There is simply not enough computer power or humans to monitor every telephone call.

If you aren't engaged in any illegal activity, you have nothing to fear.

I'd make sure my roommates and friends aren't doing anything unlawful also.

Seriously.

I live 3 minutes from NSA and naturally, many people here work there. I have several close friends who do and they cannot tell me anything that goes on but what they do tell me makes my fear of our government confirmed.

• Members

I live 3 minutes from NSA and naturally, many people here work there. I have several close friends who do and they cannot tell me anything that goes on but what they do tell me makes my fear of our government confirmed.

And imagine how scary what they don't tell you really is.

• Members

ever hear of ECHELON? everyone's phones, cells, email, text etc is tapped all the time

Time to do some ECHELON spoofin'!!

USCG South Africa ASIC blocks Gorizont NTT Military TRW SORO FLETC Mace Aladdin PARKHILL Cable & Wireless National Information Infrastructure SVN beanpole 747 burned orthodox Morgan propellants credit card MI5 hmtd Hollyhock USCOI virtual wojo Kamumaruha TDR CQB FBI MOIS sulfur Bess SCCN incendiary device Mafia AST assasinate VFCT BITNET NSOF Alex Chicago Posse Flame Standford KY cdi filofax SUW 2.3 Oz. Service Magdeyev Counterterrorism LF IW Toffler NLSP 50MZ SADF W3 evasion RUOP JCET WID nailbomb 737 DSNET1 DCJFTF bullion High Security M3 DEVGRP NCCS r00t NACSE LEETAC FALN M60 gchq.gov.uk IRA UXO SPINTCOM Dictionary I&A NSG KY-75 guest DIA real Red Cell Defensive Information IRS Information Terrorism E-Bomb DITSA SSCI CipherTAC-2000 Colonel The Hague Stephanie J-6 Pacini MOSAIC SG530 speedbump SASSTIXS TRDL Juiliett Class Submarine Secure HAMASMOIS TRANSEC Offensive Information Warfare NSADS Met SSL SEAL Team 3 DONCAF Sayeret Golani Gatt MF froglegs UVDEVAN cordite Exon Shell TSCI presidential motorcade CIM assassinate Stanley CCC BATF MISSI AUTODIN Wackendude jtf-6 JICC OC3 FCIC Steak Knife DynCorp GSM NSRB ISPE squib 52 52 N - 03 03 W CTU sardine Avi Rapid Reaction ASWS rhost watchers NSES SGI DSS SADF E.T. 757 USP VLSI RUOP Gray Data IWIS Galil arm Internet Underground LATA evasion virus Johohonbu hostages RHL PRF wetsu condor JIC Face MI5 CISD WANK PECSENC JSOF! C3IP r00t Tony Poe MDA Morse Magdeyev defensive elements Capricorn spook 2600 Magazine Rewson Samford Road KWT-46 GSGI Glock Anonymous IRIDF mjtf PA598D28 Link 16 Defensive Information 767 picric acid Dateline diwn TSCI DSNET2 Sears Tower Time Tokyo Electron CDC Hollyhock JASSM fritz amatol 3P-HV IW SO13 Kilo Juile TRANSEC WWSP MD2 NADIS USAFA sigvoice Stingers schloss Abdurahmon Kwajalein CCC Taiwan LUK SAPT CCSQ Forte Meta-hackers ISCS LEASAT Skorpion MP Baranyi Verisign Oratory Z- 200 Wackendude ANC import TDYC Time USCODE mission ISS-ADP FCIC LHR AG SURSAT osco FTS2000 Compsec SUR Toth explicit SAO KWT-46 SBS BCCI Panama Spetznaz SARD JRB OC-12 MP5k MSW NRO NAAP csim SAPT TDM MB fish bce credit RRF sneakers primers ELF TEMPSET SLI AGT. AMME WIR STARLAN White Yankee Z-200 JASON Manfurov walburn Defcon VI Emerson PEM Recce VLSI Kenya Iris ASVC FAS fangs Adriatic BVD BLU-97 A/B Agfa site Aum Capricorn Tony Poe Peering JDF BRGE CCSC Minox NZC-332 Link 16 STEP Tanzania York Blackmednet petn Phon- e E.O.D. Echelon Tokyo Sugar Grove N5P6 Event Security plutonium TELINT JSOF! C3IP CONUS ISEP tekka CIA Police EG&G DefCon V S511 MDA replay NSA DEADBEEF Tac WORM Elvis emm Espionage 877 botux Kilo KEDO

• Members

Lately I have been noticing some odd stuff with my phone. My girlfriend is convinced our phone is tapped due to an ongoing investigation of her scumbag brother (who calls to talk with her from time to time). If it was tapped. Is there really any way of knowing?

Call someone ans say something like," Hey Habib, bring the C-4 over to my house right now!"

If someone kicks your door in, the phone was tapped fer shure.

Oh, and on the tin foil hat, remember - shiny side out.

mark

Archived