Bass tone in those 80's pop songs?

davis1

• Members

A Historical Bass Minute by DRF

Sponsored By: Tardy Sequencer Threads, Unlimited

Chorus was a bit of a phenom in the 80s on basses, for some reason. A lot of the "post-modern" college bands' bass players would play P Basses with a chorus. Interesting sound, and can be heard with such bands as Joy Division. Chorus also made appearances on bass tracks by bands such as Duran Duran and ABC.

A tone I use a lot called "fake fretless" derives from the 80s -- its a technique a lot of us working stiffs used and passed on to each other.

On a bass with a mid/bridge PU system, I solo the bridge pickup, roll back the tone control (on a passive bass) or cut the Highs (on an active bass). With my fretting hand, I slide a bit into the notes. I add chorus and a slight slapback delay. By itself, it doesn't sound like a fretless, but within a band context its a pretty good facsimile

EDIT: I just listened to a little bit of "We Are The World". It sounds like a bass synth, in particular: the "Fretless Bass" Synth Patch off of a Yamaha DX-7 (or dirivitive synth such as TX-7, DX-21, DX-27, or TX-81Z) to me

• Members

It could be a DX-7 yeah but it sounds a lot more like a fretless Stingray with a chorus and octaver. The "Pino Palladino tone", very popular back then.

I know Louis Johnson played some parts, don't know the others.

Interesting. Maybe its a Tic Tac with synth bass and real bass....that wasn't uncommon back then, either......and I imagine a natural "chorus" effect with the two would probably happen...Just a guess

Of course, the whole thing could be programmed via Fairlight or Synclavier and everybody got "credits" on it just for showing up at the studio...Thats not out of the question either.....:)

• Members
A Historical Bass Minute by DRF

Sponsored By: Tardy Sequencer Threads, Unlimited

Chorus was a bit of a phenom in the 80s on basses, for some reason. A lot of the "post-modern" college bands' bass players would play P Basses with a chorus. Interesting sound, and can be heard with such bands as Joy Division. Chorus also made appearances on bass tracks by bands such as Duran Duran and ABC.

A tone I use a lot called "fake fretless" derives from the 80s -- its a technique a lot of us working stiffs used and passed on to each other.

On a bass with a mid/bridge PU system, I solo the bridge pickup, roll back the tone control (on a passive bass) or cut the Highs (on an active bass). With my fretting hand, I slide a bit into the notes. I add chorus and a slight slapback delay. By itself, it doesn't sound like a fretless, but within a band context its a pretty good facsimile

Yep. This exact strategy allowed me to fake a fretless throughout the early 90's. I even fooled a couple of guys in live situations...

• Members

Sounds very synthy...but I would guess DRF's analysis of the sound is right on.

When I read the thread title I was thinking "generic 80's active bass, GK 400RB, Hartke aluminum 4x10". There's another pretty classic 80's pop sound.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

It could be a DX-7 yeah but it sounds a lot more like a fretless Stingray with a chorus and octaver. The "Pino Palladino tone", very popular back then.

I know Louis Johnson played some parts, don't know the others.

Who is Pino Palladino?

Archived