Some thoughts on overdrive, distortion and fuzz (for anyone interested)

Phantasm

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't hate my sound enough to {censored} it up with distortion

I'm trying to only {censored} it up a little bit. I have to slap my sound around to keep it in line and make it appreciate the good times.

• Members

i've heard good things about the hotcake. how is it on bass?

It's an excellent overdrive through distortion that doesn't take over the character of your instrument. It seems to pass through low and clip the highs only with a crossover frequency around 175hz. There's a specfically bass version (the "Hotcake XLF") that the speculated guess is that the crossover frequency is at 100hz instead of 175.

• Members

It's an excellent overdrive through distortion that doesn't take over the character of your instrument. It seems to pass through low and clip the highs only with a crossover frequency around 175hz. There's a specfically bass version (the "Hotcake XLF") that the speculated guess is that the crossover frequency is at 100hz instead of 175.

cool. i'll have to check one out when i see it then :thu:

• Members

the rat came in today ( it's cosmetic disaster - i'll start a thread on that...)

and it sounds pretty good. i think you could definitely get away with using a stock model with a 4 string tuned standard.

since i'm having to do a bunch of work on the enclosure i'll putz around with it while the board is out.but, just looking at it in the frequency analyzer in cool edit it looks like it's not dropping lows so much as the mids are gtting boosted way the hell up.

here's a clip of the stock pedal :

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6425613&q=hi

• Members

This thread delivers, excellent reviews.

Funny you should mention Failure for that RAT sound. That was pretty much the tone I was shooting for when I bought my Turbo Rat (2x the volume output of the regular RAT). I had Robert Keeley mod mine, which adds a lot more headroom and makes it very Bass friendly. Now I use it at maximum volume to overdrive my tubes and put a little distortion on the pedal and WHAM, Failure / Chancellor type overdrive.

Don't forget the Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard and the Prescription Electronics Depth Charge!

• Members

Phantasm:

If you want to hear a Keeley modded RAT with a little more low end to it, here you go. When the song starts out, I am using Crowther Prunes and Custard and Tremolo, then I go to clean with Digital Delay, then into the Rat for the main progression, then in and out of the Prunes and Custard for the rest of the song...

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Absoloutely, if he knows what the "Keeley Mod" is then I'd be more than happy to have our resident pedal guru mod it for me!

Keeley has many of his mods published right on his site, and there is even more of them available with a quick search. If he doesn't know what it is, I'm sure he's crafty enough to figure it out quite fast.

• Members

I've read a bunch of reviews about the Keeley Modded Rat...this is the first one that was positive. Most peeps were rather disappointed with it...

That is true, but on the same hand... it sounds like Rootdogg is interested in the Turbo Rat for the same sort of sound that I am and he's got a video that I can check out! I did cheat and listen to a little here at work and so far I'm interested... I am anxious to check it out more on better speakers when I get home.

• Members

Absoloutely, if he knows what the "Keeley Mod" is then I'd be more than happy to have our resident pedal guru mod it for me!

well of course i can do it. whaddya take me for? some kind of chump?

:poke:

actually, you could probably do 'em. pm headed your way :wave:

• Members

it looks like it's not dropping lows so much as the mids are gtting boosted way the hell up.

I thought they definitely sounded this way. I use a Boss EQ with mine, and actually scoop the tone on the EQ to make up for it. With the EQ off though, I thought the stock RAT sat well in the mix. EQ on it tends to get lost pretty easily. You just need to play with it and get the filter and distortion set right.

• Members

I thought they definitely sounded this way. I use a Boss EQ with mine, and actually scoop the tone on the EQ to make up for it. With the EQ off though, I thought the stock RAT sat well in the mix. EQ on it tends to get lost pretty easily. You just need to play with it and get the filter and distortion set right.

yep. all those mids should help cut through and i'm afraid tweaking it too much would just end up with a scooped out big muffy sounding thing. i'm thinking that leaving some mids there and letting more bass into the circuit may be the way to go with it (as well as tweaking the tone control a bit to shift the frequencies down a notch or two).

• Members

ok guys, the guv'nor got here today.i've been a/b ing it with the rat on bass and guitar and here's what i think:

the guvnor is definitely more midrange driven. the rat is a bit scooped out in comparison but is alot "thicker " sounding.

the guvnor has better tone control and definitely sounds more like an overdriven marshall amplifier.they both cleanup with the volume control on the instrument pretty well but the marshall has a bit more tonal complexity to it across the board.

i guess the easy way to put it would be to say- if you want natural tube-y gain go with the marshall and if you wanna bludgeon something with sheer force -the rat is the way to go.

here's a clip of the marshall (g&L >guvnor>yamaha bbt500h direct in)

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6427397&q=hi

Archived