Some thoughts on overdrive, distortion and fuzz (for anyone interested)

Phantasm

• Members

Alright, sound clip time!

Inspired by Rootdogg, here is an application of his explanation... sort of. Since I don't own a Rat but I do own a Bass Pod XT, I used the Rat model set following Rootdogg's directions into the closest model of the actual rig I use. Since the Rat model in the Bass Pod isn't "Keeley Modified," I used the graphic EQ to put back in lows/low mids that were missing. I didn't touch the high mids/high end at all beyond normal EQ that was set exactly how I set my amp IRL.

I am recording for a project right now, so here is a small section at the end of one of the songs I'm working on. It's just a simple repeating pattern over a loop but it will give you an idea of what kind of a sound I'm getting "in the box." Pardon the take/mixing/etc, but I think this will give everyone a decent idea.

http://www.menagerieband.com/stuff/TA_Sample.mp3

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Keep in mind too when listening that I'm looking for light overdrive right now. I had the drive set at 30% and the tone at 40%.

When I get to the song I'm working on that uses heavy gain (and it's properly mixed) I'll have clip with the Doom Fuzz.

• Members

Keep in mind too when listening that I'm looking for light overdrive right now. I had the drive set at 30% and the tone at 40%.

When I get to the song I'm working on that uses heavy gain (and it's properly mixed) I'll have clip with the Doom Fuzz.

Cool. I dig that.

• Members
PM coming your way when I get home tonight...

Cool. Too bad I have no bass in a playable condition right now to give it a try. I've got the P on my bench for a fret dress and sold the 5ver to fund my RB950 and fretless purchase and neither are here yet.

Have the whole weekend home alone too. :cry:

• Members

Here's my Woolly Mammoth review, I forgot to post it. I guess the Doom Fuzz won out for my use and I forgot about the Mammoth!

I edited the original post to include this one. Eventually if I record enough sound clips, I may edit the original post to point to them as well.

Woolly Mammoth: I spent some time with this pedal and really thought it would be the "fuzz bass" winner. The Doom Fuzz still had some scratchy, throaty thing when I kicked in the treble cut that beat it out. I definately can find some useful stuff in this pedal though, and the EQ knob actually works pretty well. If you turn the drive knob all the way down, the pedal turns into a heavy overdrive. I have seen "pedal boards of the stars" where one is full up or close to full up and the second is all the way down on the drive, so apparently this is a common observation of those who use the pedal. Definately a very nice fuzz to my ears if you have the $. I tried using the Pinch but it didn't work out that great for me unless I wanted the synth-y vibe that it added. Usually I just had it to the disable position.

• Members

There's an original Gun'nor that I'm watching on eBay. It's at $111 and it's got a day and a half left. How much higher can I expect it to get?

Try searching completed items on ebay, that will give you an idea of what they've been going for recently.

• Members

Anyone tried the Frantone Bassweet? The clip I heard sounded nice, but I'm wondering about personal experience. Sorry if it's already been mentioned, I'm lazy as {censored} and read the first page and that's it.

Apparently not. It's too damn expensive anyway.

• Members
i've heard good things but, never played or heard one. it IS {censored}ing expensive though....
:eek:

I guess they assume that because it's handmade they can charge an exorbitant amount for one. I mean, those Germanium transistors can't be that expensive.

• Members

i picked up a pretty cool new toy this week and thought you guys might wanna hear it.

it's one of these :

239452.jpg

it's a clone of the foxx tone machine and has switchable octave.the plan is to true bypass it and put it in a real enclosure. it sounds really good stock :

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6454155&q=hi

it was a whopping 24.99 and once i get it in an enclosure and bypass the buffer in it - it will be a kick ass little fuzz pedal.

• Members
i picked up a pretty cool new toy this week and thought you guys might wanna hear it.

it's one of these :

239452.jpg

it's a clone of the foxx tone machine and has switchable octave.the plan is to true bypass it and put it in a real enclosure. it sounds really good stock :

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6454155&q=hi

it was a whopping 24.99 and once i get it in an enclosure and bypass the buffer in it - it will be a kick ass little fuzz pedal.

Wow, that sounds really good.

• Members

Here's a quick TubeBlower sample, with various settings.

I finally got to listen to this at home... very interesting! I may have to take some gig money and buy one... I'm trying to hold out until after our trip to Europe to get too crazy though.

We should be seeing you soon, in a few weeks! I still need to figure out the best way to get in touch once we're in Paris.

Archived