Some thoughts on overdrive, distortion and fuzz (for anyone interested)

Phantasm

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
AWESOME! THANKS!
:D

i really want a Fulltone.... the EBS also rocks the house...

and have you tried the Turbo Rats? theyre much better as far as it concerns bass...

Really? Awesome. Did you happen to make any clips when you tried it?

• Members
If you can find a way to put low end back in AFTER the clipping/distorting is done on a RAT (make a four-knob rat, perhaps) then I am VERY interested in how your experiments progress.

cool man. i'll figure something out. i'm thinking adding a blend control might be the best route with it but, the only one i have here is an 80's model and i'm not about to go ripping it apart to experiment on it :)
the one i've got coming should be here wednesday so we'll see shortly after that :thu:

• Members
Hey Gutter! i went to the music store today and if i had an amp at home right now, i'd have brought the Marshall Guv'nor to give it a try! please review it, i was very very intrigued!

well. i've played both the english and korean made ones and the english one killed (whereas the korean made ones sound like doodoo in a box).
i think worst case scenario i'll pick up a korean one as well and try to figure out the differences in the two so i'll be able to mod the korean ones to sound good.
the english models have started bringing stupid amounts of money ( around 2 bills or so ) and have gotten pretty hard to find so they're not gonna be a feasible candidate for mods but, if i can make the korean ones sound good then we'll be in business :thu:

• Members
well. i've played both the english and korean made ones and the english one killed (whereas the korean made ones sound like doodoo in a box).

i think worst case scenario i'll pick up a korean one as well and try to figure out the differences in the two so i'll be able to mod the korean ones to sound good.

the english models have started bringing stupid amounts of money ( around 2 bills or so ) and have gotten pretty hard to find so they're not gonna be a feasible candidate for mods but, if i can make the korean ones sound good then we'll be in business
:thu:

i think the one in my store in English made... if it is, is it safe for me to snag? its on the cheap side now...... how does it keep the lows? what does it do better?

• Members

i think the one in my store in English made... if it is, is it safe for me to snag? its on the cheap side now...... how does it keep the lows? what does it do better?

if it's less than a hundred bucks snag it now.i had a pair of them come in for repairs from the same customer about 6 months ago - one english and one korean. i didn't play bass through them (the customer was a guitar player and was having some specific issues) but, the english made one sounded like an actual amp and the korean was just buzzy,harsh and just sounded bad in general.

looking at the schematic - it looks like it will be good to go with a bass with very minimal mods so you might be able to get away with using it stock.

• Members

if it's less than a hundred bucks snag it now.i had a pair of them come in for repairs from the same customer about 6 months ago - one english and one korean. i didn't play bass through them (the customer was a guitar player and was having some specific issues) but, the english made one sounded like an actual amp and the korean was just buzzy,harsh and just sounded bad in general.

looking at the schematic - it looks like it will be good to go with a bass with very minimal mods so you might be able to get away with using it stock.

its only 60

• Members
cool - it should say on the battery cover where it was made.if it looks like this :

guvnor1.jpg

and says "made in england" on the battery cover - get it. if you don't like it you could flip it on ebay (or,just sell it to me
:)
)

So the new gold ones suck? I've always wanted to try the original.

• Members
cool man. i'll figure something out. i'm thinking adding a blend control might be the best route with it but, the only one i have here is an 80's model and i'm not about to go ripping it apart to experiment on it
:)
the one i've got coming should be here wednesday so we'll see shortly after that

Well, I busted out my trusty Bass Pod XT last night and tried using the RAT model with a graphic EQ after it. "Inside the box" the results were very good, enough to make me wonder if "outside the box" I could duplicate it. Using a low drive setting and putting the lows back in with the graphic, it was a rather nice overdrive that sat well in the mix of a track (that's usually my big test, I open Sonar and try to play along to a track to see if the bass vanishes or sounds "too seperated.")

FWIW. I'll have to play with it some more, I suppose... and maybe it's time to order some graphic EQ pedals, or build a low shelf EQ circuit for testing...

• Members

Well, I busted out my trusty Bass Pod XT last night and tried using the RAT model with a graphic EQ after it. "Inside the box" the results were very good, enough to make me wonder if "outside the box" I could duplicate it. Using a low drive setting and putting the lows back in with the graphic, it was a rather nice overdrive that sat well in the mix of a track (that's usually my big test, I open Sonar and try to play along to a track to see if the bass vanishes or sounds "too seperated.")

FWIW. I'll have to play with it some more, I suppose... and maybe it's time to order some graphic EQ pedals, or build a low shelf EQ circuit for testing...

i've played bass through the one i have and they are pretty close to being useable stock.looking at the schematic i would think that upping the input cap a bit, tweaking the values in the feedback loop and upping the cap going into the buffer would probably get it happenin'.

• Members
There's a rat for sale on my local craigslist but I don't know how to tell the US and korean versions apart.

as far as i know rats are all us made.i have a preference for the less fuzzy more overdrive-y models (specifically the small box,non-led model) but they all have some good sounds in 'em :thu:

• Members
i've played bass through the one i have and they are pretty close to being useable stock.looking at the schematic i would think that upping the input cap a bit, tweaking the values in the feedback loop and upping the cap going into the buffer would probably get it happenin'.

All reasons why I'm curious to see how your experimentation goes... :thu:

• Members
as far as i know rats are all us made.i have a preference for the less fuzzy more overdrive-y models (specifically the small box,non-led model) but they all have some good sounds in 'em

Oh I thought you were talking about the rat up there ^

Guess not :evil:

Archived