OT: Cell Phones in Europe

Phantasm

• Members

Okay, I'm going to Europe next month, specifically London, Paris and Rome.

Is there a pay as you go cell phone that I can buy here in the states, get a phone number and charge it up with minutes, and take with me on the trip?

I'm sure someone here has done this... pretty much no matter what it is, someone on this board has done it!

• Members

You just need a phone that's GSM network compatible.

I'm sure there are pay as you go phones that can do it. Many new phones are compatible as well, and you just need to add it to your service contract...but it's like $1.99 a minute or something crazy like that.

I'm also the phone admin at work. I just set up a bunch of people with cell phones that are traveling to India.

• Members
Is there a pay as you go cell phone that I can buy here in the states, get a phone number and charge it up with minutes, and take with me on the trip?

All you need is a GSM phone (which most are nowadays) that's either tri-band or quad-band. Then just buy a prepaid GSM card when you get to Europe and swap the SIM into your own phone. All the major cell phone providers offer prepaid plans. No big deal.

• Members

Is there any way for me to get everything activated before I go? Is it fairly common (say, in the airport or something in London) for them to be selling cards?

My regular carrier here is Sprint and they are not GSM, so PAYG for me.

• Members

Is there any way for me to get everything activated before I go? Is it fairly common (say, in the airport or something in London) for them to be selling cards?

You can get cell phones around every corner, starting from 30 euros complete with phone and some calling credit.

• Members

You could walk into a store and be active within an hour or less. :)

Why don't you buy a cheap GSM phone on ebay before you go?? :cool:

• Members

An HSUPA quad band could not be a GSM at all. However nearly all HSUPA quad band are EDGE quad band too.

Five and Six band phones (800/850/900/1700/1900/2100) are possible but none has been announced.

You gotta have the 900 and 1800 frequency capability on that phone.

• Members

All you need is a GSM phone (which most are nowadays) that's either tri-band or quad-band. Then just buy a prepaid GSM card when you get to Europe and swap the SIM into your own phone. All the major cell phone providers offer prepaid plans. No big deal.

With Zamphir's frequency caveat, this is the way to go.

You can get a prepaid SIM card for as little as five quid, and then just top it up when you need to.

I've still got SIM cards from the UK and Germany (though I think one has expired from lack of use).

The beautiful thing is that incoming calls are free, so your US loved ones can call you using a discount card or service (10-10-987 was my parents' stand-by when I lived in the UK) to save total costs.

• Members

American phones are locked. They have to be unlocked to use a diff sim card. Often a difficult thing to get done. Simply get inexpensive prepaid phone when you get there and start calling. Useing american international calling plan is expensive. Cheaper to just get and use prepaid phone when you get there.

Archived