New Bass (Fretless!)

zesty brick

• Members

Nice bass.

Do you want to get some black jazz knobs? I think they look nice.

I got rid of those chrome knobs, too.

i was going to get those black jazz knobs (the chrome ones look like {censored}) but my friend had these white ones lying around from his old Stratocaster, i put em on and fell in love.

• Members

I'd be all over that bass if it had a pickguard.

I just don't like the lack of pickguard look on a Fender guitar or bass.
:idk:

I'd slap a pickguard on it too. It's something about that awkward control plate. Without the plate it works, though.

• Members

OP-sweet bass man...I like the knobs. Yours has great grain...way better than the grain on mine. If you have any questions about upgrades PM me. I've tweaked everything but the tuners...I'm keeping my eyes open for some decent ones on the cheap.

My VM...I agreed with these guys (obviously)

101_2111.jpg

• Members

Same here - I would've left the knobs alone and added either a tort, black, or white PG - and upgraded the pots, jack, and wiring... Those are a killer bass for the money, though...

Congrats, and Happy NBD, zesty...

- georgestrings

• Members

Those knobs look pretty sweet!

I have the same bass, and I tried to replace the pickup covers with some cream-colored ones from Warmoth, but they were configured for the American j-bass p'ups. You're correct though, it's a big surprise when you get it home and spend some time with it. Was really amazed at how quiet it was (the control route even has graphite shielding paint).

I added a Warmoth tort guard to mine, (required trimming at the control plate joint though), and similar knobs that I had laying around...

squirej.jpg

• Members

Dang mellobud, that thing's coming along nicely! I really dig the pup cover. Hey, take the pickguard off and slap some white paint near the neck to hide the truss rod hole.

Hijack: Sorry....

I was thinking about throwing some white or black hockey tape under it...I too trimmed the pickguard (I love Dremel). The neck was wider at the heel from the 2003 MIA the guard came from and I also trimmed it at the control plate connection.

Has a Badass II on it for way more stability.

I replaced the Pots to 250k CTS solid shafts and put black jazz knobs on. (required drilling the holes one size larger)

I'll throw some better pics up once I fill the bare headstock.

Archived