New bass day! Ibanez Explorer X series

2tall

• Members

I think it is a 1984 model.

Bought from an individual.

Its a little banged up on the corners, but overall in good condition.

I took her apart and shimmed the neck, and cleaned it up. It was very dirty from years of funk all over it.

Plays good and sounds a bit like a jazz bass.

IM003573.jpg

• Members

NICE! I have an 82 (the Def Leopard / Iron Maiden version). I actually just rebought all I need to refinish the body myself (had a couple people lined up to do it pro like). I should have it together within the month.

• Members

NICE! I have an 82 (the Def Leopard / Iron Maiden version). I actually just rebought all I need to refinish the body myself (had a couple people lined up to do it pro like). I should have it together within the month.

Cool:rawk:

• Members

Wow, you're one player I would NEVER have guessed to be into the points! Rawk!:D

• Members

Wow, you're one player I would NEVER have guessed to be into the points! Rawk!
:D

my first bass was an Ibanez Destroyer... my dream bass up until about 1991 or so was a Pointed headstock Alembic Exploiter in Birdseye :thu:

4392.jpg

anyway... here is mine. I've had it for a few years and it's been in pieces longer than playable in that time. I'm painting it in Rustoleum Chrome and have a PJ set from Delano with the MM style pole pieces.

full-in-case.jpg

body.jpg

here is a clip of it with the DiMarzios it came with.

• Members

I took her apart and shimmed the neck, and cleaned it up. It was very dirty from years of funk all over it.

IM003573.jpg

awesome score . looks like a fun bass.

james hart ; your bass looks fat. i too was not expecting that

• Members

IM003573.jpg

dude nice im gasing for a gibson explorer at the mo how much you snag that for?

• Members

IM003573.jpg

Hi !!!!

I've got one exactly like that (color and all) !!! It was my first bass, which I bought slightly used 17 years ago ! Great score... Take care of it ! Mine is extremely stable and takes weather changes easily (the neck almost never moves).

Since I bought mine 17 years ago and it was 2 years old I think... I'd say yours is probably a 1988 or 1989 model rather then the 1984. And the name of the model is "Destroyer".

Have fun with it... you just made me want to pick mine up today !

• Members

I'd say yours is probably a 1988 or 1989 model rather then the 1984. And the name of the model is "Destroyer".

84/85 is correct on this bass

http://www.ibanezregister.com/Gallery/basses/x/gal-db700.htm

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1985/index.htm

Looks like mine is really an 83 (but I know I bought my first one from "Robbie's Music" in North Jersey in the Fall of 1982)

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1983/index.htm

• Members

I had the guitar version for a while. It was great until a part in the bridge broke and it was completely impossible to find a replacement since it was their version of the floyd rose at the time that they stopped making pretty soon after they started. Oh well.

• Members

Looks like mine is really an 83 (but I know I bought my first one from "Robbie's Music" in North Jersey in the Fall of 1982)

Cool pointy basses!

BTW Robbie's Music REALLY screwed me on a Strat I got through their Ebay page! Keep a sharp eye on them if you still shop there.

• Members

BTW Robbie's Music REALLY screwed me on a Strat I got through their Ebay page! Keep a sharp eye on them if you still shop there.

I haven't bought more than strings and a $150 12 string acoustic from them since my father and I bought that Ibanez in 82.... and I don't think I've bought anything from them since about 1987 :thu:

They jerked me around on my case for the Destroyer for over 8 months... by the time I finally got it, it had 4 satin Tama jackets in it. We kept 2 and sold 2 for $50 a piece (they were $100 in the stores). Not sure if they meant to do it, but we didn't say a word since we were pissed over the whole deal.

• Members

I haven't bought more than strings and a $150 12 string acoustic from them since my father and I bought that Ibanez in 82.... and I don't think I've bought anything from them since about 1987
:thu:

They jerked me around on my case for the Destroyer for over 8 months... by the time I finally got it, it had 4 satin Tama jackets in it. We kept 2 and sold 2 for $50 a piece (they were $100 in the stores). Not sure if they meant to do it, but we didn't say a word since we were pissed over the whole deal.

hmmm they just gave me the wrong case! Was s'posed to have a limited Fender Tweed case, I got one of those cheap TKL cases that run about $60. Also the "like new" guitar showed up looking too beat for even Willie Nelson's tastes. No attempt to make anything right.

but yeah, sorry to the original poster, I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread, just a public service to anyone who shops at Robbie's Music in NJ, you'll get hosed!

• Members

Interesting... mine could be older then I tought then !

Archived