Are bass players the most expensive members of a band?

bassthumpintwin

• Moderators

It's a decent enough class A/B rock amp.

Won't work for tone gurus seeking single ended class A tone though, not by a long shot - I mean, not even in the BALLPARK with a JTM45.

I can put together a SS bass rig that would fool many into thinking it was an Ampeg SVT.

You ain't gonna put together a git rig that sounds like a JTM45 unless you get a JTM45.

Am I missing the point and all of your comments are meant to be ironic? :confused:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a decent enough class A/B rock amp.

Won't work for tone gurus seeking single ended class A tone though, not by a long shot - I mean, not even in the BALLPARK with a JTM45.

I can put together a SS bass rig that would fool many into thinking it was an Ampeg SVT.

You ain't gonna put together a git rig that sounds like a JTM45 unless you get a JTM45.

Last I heard, the Divided By 13 amp is a favorite in studios - they ain't cheap.

Is it Class A that you are looking for? Or is it one specific tone from one specific amp? Because if its the latter, the point is moot. You aren't going to find anything else that sounds exactly like a JTM45 but a JTM45, you also aren't going to find anything that sounds exactly like a SVT-VR other than a SVT-VR. You can find cheaper tube bass amps, just like you can find cheaper Class A tube guitar amps.

• Members

Is it Class A that you are looking for? Or is it one specific tone from one specific amp? Because if its the latter, the point is moot. You aren't going to find anything else that sounds exactly like a JTM45 but a JTM45, you also aren't going to find anything that sounds exactly like a
other than a SVT-VR. You can find cheaper tube bass amps, just like you can find cheaper Class A tube guitar amps.

It's easier to approximate the tone of an SVT, than it is to model the tone of class A amp.

Plenty of bassists get great tone from SS rigs which consist of nothing more than passive tone circuits on a preamp fed into a push-pull type of power amp.

Good guitar rigs are more expensive overall than good bass rigs.

• Members

It's easier to approximate the tone of an SVT, than it is to model the tone of class A amp.

Plenty of bassists get great tone from SS rigs which consist of nothing more than passive tone circuits on a preamp fed into a push-pull type of power amp.

Good guitar rigs are more expensive overall than good bass rigs.

Its plenty easy to approximate the tone of a Class A amp. Hell, its plenty easy to get a Class A amp for relatively cheap. Plenty of guitarists get great tone from digital modellers. What does that have to do with anything?

• Moderators

Its plenty easy to approximate the tone of a Class A amp. Hell, its plenty easy to get a Class A amp for relatively cheap. Plenty of guitarists get great tone from digital modellers. What does that have to do with anything?

It doesn't. :blah:

• Members

I don't know man - it just shows how stupid this whole comparison is.

Play what works for you. :wave:

• Moderators

:eekphil:

wades_keys knows what's up. He's a tone snob for guitar sound and not for bass. He might be playing coy, but it's not hurting anyone. No one's life is at risk on either side of this discussion. :thu:

• Members

wades_keys knows what's up. He's a tone snob for guitar sound and not for bass. He might be playing coy, but it's not hurting anyone. No one's life is at risk on either side of this discussion.
:thu:

I've just been looking for an excuse to use that smiley; ever since they introduced it :poke::p

• Members

wades_keys knows what's up. He's a tone snob for guitar sound and not for bass. He might be playing coy, but it's not hurting anyone. No one's life is at risk on either side of this discussion.
:thu:

:lol:

Nah, we're cool man - just trying to put a different side on the whole thing.

I don't play guitar in a band setting anymore - sold my rig last year.

What got me on the tone thing, is I went and saw a loud rock band a few weeks ago, and their guitarist (who was mediocre player) got a STELLAR tone out of his 71 Marshall Super Lead.

All of my bandmates who were there said the same thing: "Great tone, lousy player".

From that perspective, in the audience, guitar amp tone differences get noticed a lot more than bass amp tone differences.

We just hear midrange better, plus you've got a lot of overtones from the distortion and clipping.

Human ears just don't hear bass tones as well as midrange - scientific fact.

• Moderators

:lol:
Nah, we're cool man - just trying to put a different side on the whole thing.

I don't play guitar in a band setting anymore - sold my rig last year.

What got me on the tone thing, is I went and saw a loud rock band a few weeks ago, and their guitarist (who was mediocre player) got a STELLAR tone out of his 71 Marshall Super Lead.

All of my bandmates who were there said the same thing: "Great tone, lousy player".

From that perspective, in the audience, guitar amp tone differences get noticed a lot more than bass amp tone differences.

We just hear midrange better, plus you've got a lot of overtones from the distortion and clipping.

Human ears just don't hear bass tones as well as midrange - scientific fact.

From the audience, bass amp tones don't get heard at all. It's all the PA. :idea:

(because our hearing is more sensitive to midrange, the midrange response of bass amps and cabs is critically important, just as it is with guitarists)

• Members

(because our hearing is more sensitive to midrange, the midrange response of bass amps and cabs is critically important, just as it is with guitarists)

True, and probably why I prefer the sound of smaller drivers like 10's - they cut through the mix better, to my ears and for my preferred tone settings and attack.

• Members

This is starting to get funny.

This thread started as a parody, but then turned into a legitimate question. Unfortunately, I didnt really specify the exact paramaters of the "comparison" in the beginning, and it's apparantly confusing some people really bad. hahahah

I think we all agree that the only comparisons we will make are between guitar amps and bass amps.

Instruments, effects, accessories, etc... are not being considered, although, for the record, things like strings, picks, parts, etc (i.e. things that are typically bigger or built to with stand higher tolerances) are OBVIOUSLY gonna cost more)

Ok, so guitar AMPS vs. bass AMPS. what are the variables? what are the constants?

All things being equal, what would cost more?

More specifically, let's make it easier on everyone.

Let's say the only objective was to produce a single note with a guitar rig, and a bass rig. One note, one time.

All settings on the amp are equal.

Tone QUALITY is exactly the same.

PERCEIVED volume is exactly the same.

Lets even say its the same amp manufacturer.

Lets say they are both solid state amps.

Lets say they are both using Lava Cables for utmost quality and tone ;)

Assuming my ear will hear the same volume and tone QUALITY of one single note, which will cost the most to produce?

Answer: I say it's the bass.

why? bass requires more power to produce lower frequencies. This requires higher tolerances, bigger components, etc....

did I miss anything?

I WIN!!!:mad:

• Members

Does this mean my new Orange Tiny Terror and Avatar 2x12 aren't boutique enough to get good tone?
:(
Because I think they sound killer with a US Hwy1 Strat plugged into them...

no, it just means that you spent more for that tone than a guitar player would have ;)

• Members

Bass and guitars of equal qaulity tend to cost about the same. Abeit the bass will probably have extra bells on it in the form of active eq, abeit the guitar will often have nice floating trem.

Actually I'd say the synth/keyboard player ussually has most expensive gear, unless only has one keyboard. Even then it can often be more expensive then the bassist or guitarists bass/guitar.

Archived