envelope filter

heatheroo

• Members

I'm jonesing for an envelope filter to jiuce up the funk a bit. Back in the late 70/early 80's when I was single and still had disposable $$ I had an EH Dr. Q which I thought was pretty cool. What's out there now? How much?

Thanks.

• Members

I've got a DOD envelope filter - not the best but they're only $40 on musiciansfriend

It's probably the most common out there for it's price.

I agree with James, it's hard to control, but it does the job on a budget.

I'm holding out for a good price on an old Boss FT-2, that's the one for me.

• Members

ahh i loves me some envelope filters... notice my name

here is my collection

syb3 (up and down)

aw-2 (surprisingly good sounding, does auto and touch)

Ehx bassballs

Ehx micro synth (not touch sensitive, but does have a filter)

Ehx qtron

old digitech filter (small metal box, weakest of the bunch)

there are tons of boutique ones, and as most have said the digitech will get the job done for short money. I would look for a used qtron too, they sound great.

• Members

Do you run direct into it or do you add some distortion first?

I can post some pictures of the guts of mine if anyone's interested.

I've used it direct, and also with fuzz and a wah pedal.

• Members

many many many choices out there. I have a Maxon AF-9 and love it... I've had and 80s DOD FX-25 and it was cool, but hard to control to me. I also had a EHX Bassballs but hated it.

Here is mine

What does it mean that the FX25 is hard to control? Do you mean that it's hard to get the filter to open consistently? Just curious.

Why did you hate the Bassballs?

• Members

Nicest I've heard yet was the MoogerFooger, but you'll need to sell some fluids to pay for it.

Among the pedals I've personally used, the MoogerFooger and Lovetone Meatball are the two that I've been most impressed by.

I've never been able to get my hands on an original Musitronics Mu-Tron III, but that's pretty much the gold standard (used by Stevie Wonder, Bootsy Collins, etc., etc.). I've got an old EH Q-Tron, which seems to be the best bet among the reasonably priced envelope filters. The Mike Beigel designed Q-Tron is probably the easiest way to get that classic Mu-Tron sound.

• Members

You aren't the first person to say something similar about the FX25. Can you say more?

I think he means that there is a sweet spot in the pedal. (in the case of the DOD anyways... I've gotten quite usable stuff out of it when I put some time into it.)

The Moogerfooger is a great pedal because the Moog filter is a great filter. Have you ever played a Moog Synthesizer? That pedal is the same thing as the filter in a Moog. It can get funky as month old dishes! :freak:

• Members

You aren't the first person to say something similar about the FX25. Can you say more?

What I mean is, the FX25 is cool sounding, but you really need to play around with it. It only has a couple controls on it, but if you just plug it in and try to jam with a band you can get lost in the mix real fast. That and because it plays off of how hard you play, you need to get used to it a bit. I'm not against them, I just think the filter in the POD is alot cleaner and a little more controllable. Get one, but be prepared to mess around with it for a little while before you really get the settings to a useable level. It may sound cool on its own, but be sure it sounds good with a band before using it live.

It's kinda hard to explain, probably better if you ask direct questions about it.

• Members

Ashdown Envelope Filter Here

2e35_1.JPG

edit: Or Here

d3f3_1.JPG

Ok.... but is it any good?

I sold my FX25 because it was too unmanagable. I wanted the ability to get it to open up and do it's thing on command. If I played soft, it would have the "closed" tone, then when I hit it, it would open up. But the finesse needed was SO precise and fine that I could never consistently use it. Live was even worse.

Now, I will admit I was younger and a lot more aggressive back then, I have WAY more finesse in my playing now, I might be able to control it better. But I've found a pedal that I can control and get the exact sound I hear in my head, so when I set aside the money to get one, it won't be an FX25 I get, it'll be a Boss FT-2.

• Members

Ok.... but is it any good?

I sold my FX25 because it was too unmanagable. I wanted the ability to get it to open up and do it's thing on command. If I played soft, it would have the "closed" tone, then when I hit it, it would open up. But the finesse needed was SO precise and fine that I could never consistently use it. Live was even worse.

Now, I will admit I was younger and a lot more aggressive back then, I have WAY more finesse in my playing now, I might be able to control it better. But I've found a pedal that I can control and get the exact sound I hear in my head, so when I set aside the money to get one, it won't be an FX25 I get, it'll be a Boss FT-2.

Quote from Harmony Central reviews

Product: Ashdown Bass Envelope Plus

Price Paid: GBP 65

Submitted 10/18/2006 at 03:17pm by Falk

Email: bare dot winnits
gmail dot com

Ease of Use : 9

There are lots of options with this pedal. If you're looking for a very specific sound with it you could probably spend a while looking for it, although it would definitely be there. If, like me you're just looking for sounds you like, this pedal is great. They've basically taken everything they can put in an envelope filter and put it in here with rotary controls. INstead of either band pass or low bass filter, you get both and a knob to decide how much of your signal goes through each. I think thats great, building two filters in when most manufacturers give you one. Aso the up/down knob, another great feature. If you just play around with it for a few imutes anyone coudlf ind something they liked. The manual isnt the greatest i've ever read but then again, its not a hard pedal to use so you dont really need much. It explains the band pass and low pass filters which is what i really needed. The only reason i'm not giving it ten is that there are so many options it can take a while to find your sound.

Sound Quality : 10

The sound is awesome. Sickeningly good. It just makes you wanna funk. It just does what you want it to do and gives you ideas about other sound you could use. In bypass its silent being true bypass. No pop when it turns on, high quality switches. It not a noisy pedal in any way. The strength of the effect can be adjusted very easily with the peak controls and the up/down knob. it can go from a very natural sound, good for bass chords if you're into that all the way to crazy funk! I'm using it with a musicman bongo and a mesa walkabout scout. I'm sure it'd sound even better if i got a 4x10 cab instead of the 1x15 but it still sounds great.

Reliability : 10

This is possibly the most solidly built pedal i've ever seen. I own lots of pedals. I have a couple of boss ones, an mxr, a morley, a Zvex, an owen electronics (british boutique guy) and an EH and this is the best. No doubt. The casing is immensely thick, the footswitch is solid, the knobs are recessed in the casing, they clearky intend for you to properly stomp on them. The sexy VU meter has its own little roll cage for when you stand on it dropit or drop something onto it (i'm pleased to say i dropped it 4 times on the first day i got it!). Awesomely built, better than any of my other pedals, even the boss's, which have exposed controls. Just amazing.

Customer Support : 9

I've never dealt with them but i spoke to a guy who had a problem with his. He was unsing a warwick (a streamer LX i think...) and he was having trouble with the active circuitry distorting it. I've not found this a problem with my musicman which has an 18volt active EQ as i just turn down the input level. However, this guy just called up ashdown and they took it, modded it for him to work better with active basses and sent it back to him. How nice is that? I cant anticipate it ever needing to be repaired but i'm sure it wouldnt be a problem if it did.

Overall Rating : 10

I play progressive rock kinda stuff, kinda muse-like and its great because you can get some crazy sounds with it which i love. The filter sweeping down i really like because the note becomes really deep and then as it rings it becomes more middy and trebly and it sounds awesome. I'm not sure about how useful the band pass filter is as it doesnt leave much bass in the sound but a blend of the two sounds pretty good so i shouldnt criticise that. I've been playing for 2 and a half years which i know isnt very long but i'm very into effects and this is one of the best. I've tried the mxr auto Q but preferred this as its cheaper, better and far cooler. I also tried the boss auto wah and just didnt like it. Boss pedals just annoy me now. I like my old BF-2B flanger but the others i have annoy me with their boring design and fake sounding-ness. but yeh, i havent found a better envelope filter and doubt i will to be honest. If it were stolen i'd be pretty pissed and i'd buy another because they're pretty well priced for boutique pedals (i know ashdown are a bigg-ish company but their pedals are all hand made and not mass produced).I might get two to see what they sound like together. I wonder what would hapeen if one was on up and one on down sweep... I cant really think of anything else this pedal should have. I gess it'd be nice if the vu meter was on even when the pedal was bypassed but i imagine that would cause tone degradation and it woulnt be true bypass. The only real problem i have with it is that it eats up my pedal board space. I think i may have to get myself a new board if i want more than 5 or 6 pedals. IN short a fantastic looking pedal, great soubnding, brilliantly built, intuitive envelope filter. Buy one.

Archived