Pedal power supply

seraphim7s

• Members

My pedal collection has now reached a mighty 4, and the cost in batteries is astonishing ... so basically I need a power supply that can manage, I dunno, 6-8 pedals in total? Nothing fancy, just reliable and solid.

Any suggestions?

• Members

Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II+

Dunlop DC Brick

One Spot

I have 2 Pedal Powers...they are great, all isolated power outputs, no noise at all. They are just a solid power supply. I've never had a single problem with them.

yeah seeing those two pedal powers made my wallet cry. They're AU$350 a piece over here. Sucks, I'd love to own one for my little stable of pedals but at that price? I'm goin a Godlyke thxkbye

• Members

Cheap: One Spot and Godlyke...

I never said the PPII+ was cheap by any means...I said it was the best.

yeah a bunch of reviews on the one spot say that after a 4 or 5 pedals the tone/power starts to suck. the godlyke not so much but one also did mention it.

does not seem to be an issue with the more expensive, non-daisy chain style power bricks.

• Members

yeah a bunch of reviews on the one spot say that after a 4 or 5 pedals the tone/power starts to suck. the godlyke not so much but one also did mention it.

does not seem to be an issue with the more expensive, non-daisy chain style power bricks.

I have a OneSpot powering a Boss TU-2 which powers all my pedals. No drag at all, and I've checked. :)

And I have 7 on my board, counting the tuner and my switch box.

• Members

I have a OneSpot powering five pedals. No tone loss at all.

I wouldn't expect you to have any tone loss. Just the possibility of extra noise caused by an non isolated PSU and not having the ability to change voltages for different pedals.

The only time I would expect to have a different tone from a PSU is when you're either supplying not enough or too much voltage from the unit. When I had my Analog Man Clone Chorus, there wasn't enough headroom when I gave it 9 volts and I had some distortion problems when I really dug into the bass. I then gave it 16 volts and had more headroom...thus no more distortion problems.

• Members

I wouldn't expect you to have any tone loss. Just the possibility of extra noise caused by an non isolated PSU and not having the ability to change voltages for different pedals.

The only time I would expect to have a different tone from a PSU is when you're either supplying not enough or too much voltage from the unit. When I had my Analog Man Clone Chorus, there wasn't enough headroom when I gave it 9 volts and I had some distortion problems when I really dug into the bass. I then gave it 16 volts and had more headroom...thus no more distortion problems.

Been meaning to ask you about that...How did you know? Like, what gave you the idea to give the chorus more of a boot? I would have thought that if I was overpowering a pedal it would be detrimental to it?

• Members

Been meaning to ask you about that...How did you know? Like, what gave you the idea to give the chorus more of a boot? I would have thought that if I was overpowering a pedal it would be detrimental to it?

Certain pedals have the ability to handle more power. A lot of boutique pedal makers will add this nice little feature in. I'm pretty sure that it said something about being able to handle anywhere from 9-18 volt depending on your needs right in the manual. I just did a little experimenting to find what worked best!

Not all pedals can do this...and yup...can be VERY detrimental to them.

• Members

yeah seeing those two pedal powers made my wallet cry. They're AU$350 a piece over here. Sucks, I'd love to own one for my little stable of pedals but at that price? I'm goin a Godlyke thxkbye

T rex nr is $180 and the Phat one is $270, maybe look into those.

Prices from Deluxe guitars.

• Members

I have a Voodoo labs PP 2 , it's a great unit , also can power Line 6 pedals if you have those and a AC outlet and two "sag" controls that roll the output down to say 7 volts which is cool for wahs and some fuzz pedals to simulate a weak battery , especially cool for the wah , it's gets more vocal . ;)

• Members

I haven't had that much experience in the past with TRex gear though, what are they like? The Fuel Tank Classic looks more like what I'm after with 8 outputs rather than 5. Shame they're not isolated. Anyone else had experience with them?

T-Rex gear is fantastic. My only gripe with any of it is that the footswitches they use are kind of wimpy, and lack a definitive 'click'.

But thats it.

Other than that, they are solid-built, excellent sounding, and totally transparent except for the intended effect. The Fuel tank stuff is solid and reliable. The shop I used to work at carries them: www.rocketmusic.net

:thu:

• Members

I have a 1 Spot and only do 2 pedals but it works great. It does look rather small to supply 7 pedals.

Perhaps they should put it in a bigger box. Power supply technology has come a long way, we are no longer forced to use big transformers with diodes strapped to them for pedal power supplies.

Archived