Favorite Low Budget Microbrew

Thunderbroom

• Members

Orignally. Just transplanted to Fort Lame, IN last year from Metro Daytwa.

I'll have to go try the local Mad Anthony's brew pub and reprt back.

One of my favorite brews of all time is brewed by Arcadia Ales and is called Whitsun Ale.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Trader Joe's Black Toad Dark Ale is about US$5.00 for a sixer.

Yummy stuff
:love:

So far, I've went from "meh" to downright hating every Trader Joe's beer I've bought. I don't know what it is. :confused: I love their wine selection, but the beers have just sucked for me. They do sell Murphy's Stout, though, so I'll give them credit for that.

• Members

So far, I've went from "meh" to downright hating every Trader Joe's beer I've bought. I don't know what it is.
:confused:
I love their wine selection, but the beers have just sucked for me. They do sell Murphy's Stout, though, so I'll give them credit for that.

+1 to the -1

I've never had a beer with a "Trader Joe's" label that I thought was particularly good.

• Members

+1 to the -1

I've never had a beer with a "Trader Joe's" label that I thought was particularly good.

They recently started offering some "Made In Mexico" beers to compete with Corona and Dos Equis Amber. The Corona-style is okay for the first few drinks. After that, you really have to go heavy on the limes. Both beers, and many of the other TJ's I've had are strangely syrup-y. It's like the beer wasn't mixed up properly, for lack of a better descriptor.

• Members

They recently started offering some "Made In Mexico" beers to compete with Corona and Dos Equis Amber. The Corona-style is okay for the first few drinks. After that, you really have to go heavy on the limes.

It's funny you mention that. The g/f bought a 6 pack of their Corona clone. Not only did I not appreciate the taste... but it wasn't very "light" or refreshing like a good chelada style cerveza should be. It just tasted like a plain thick lager. Very close to Bud, in fact.

I'll never drink it again.

• Members

+1

Love the Honey Brown. Everyone makes fun of it until they try one!

Honey Brown rocks!

I haven't had it for a few years. Thanks for the reminder!

Only problem with it is you have drink only that beer for the night.

No switching as I remember it does play well with others....

• Members

I don't buy "cheap" microbrews. Because around here, if it's a micro and it's less than $7 a six pack, it's usually on clearance. For a reason.:D

But. My liquor store guy is an obscenely shrewd businessman, so he has deals with his distributors to sell certain micros at certain times for WAY cheaper than everyone else around. A few months ago I was buying Arrogant Bastard for $6.99 a six pack (normally $9.99), and up until last week, he had all Kona, Widmer, and Red Hook six packs for $5.99 (normally $7.99). I drank a couple dozen six packs of Widmer Broken Halo and Red Hook Longhammer for that price.

Then he tells me the other day that he'll still sell me cases of those brands for $22. Nice.:D

C7

• Members

I've seen 4 packs of "Old Rasputin" IRS for around 7-8 dollars sometimes, thats a pretty good deal for what you get! JW Dundees is a regular beer for me. So is Blue Moon and sometimes Amber Bock if I have to make a beer run to a gas station with a limited selection.

But I have to give a HUGE +1 to Yuengling Lager!!!! The price/quality ratio is probably the best I've found. I discovered it on a business trip to Tennessee, I have no idea why I can't get it here in North GA. I also found it in Raleigh once. Now whenever I have to go to Chattanooga for work, I pick up 2 or 3 12packs of Yeungling! Their dark brew is pretty good too!

• Members

I'm not sure of their actual output, but I think Magic Hat still counts. I lubs their beer!

We just got Magic Hat beer here about six months ago. I really like their #9.

Oberon so far is good, and always on sale (will have to see if they continue to have a good year; usually it gets really dry and bitter around mid-July/August).

Other than that, I don't go for much "low budget" micros anymore. The last micro I picked up was Bell's Consecrator Doppelbock, and a sixer of that cost me $17.

• Members

Yuengling porter isn't too shabby. But hard to find.

Been liking Fat Tire a lot lately.

The Okocim Porter would almost qualify, if you count the .5 liter bottle as 16+ ounces, it's right about $10 for 4 bottles, which is almost six 12-ouncers. And, it's 8.3%!

• Members

. . .

But I have to give a HUGE +1 to Yuengling Lager!!!! The price/quality ratio is probably the best I've found. I discovered it on a business trip to Tennessee, I have no idea why I can't get it here in North GA. I also found it in Raleigh once. Now whenever I have to go to Chattanooga for work, I pick up 2 or 3 12packs of Yeungling! Their dark brew is pretty good too!

Yeah, Yuengling has been available in Raleigh, NC for ten or so years, as I recall

+1 for JW Dundee's Honey Brown

• Members

Yuengling Lager is great. My buddy does trade show runs out east and brings up to 30 cases per trip back here for friends and family.

I bought all this last summer and the Lager and the Premium both tasted like crap. The black and tan, porter and the ale were all pretty damn good though.

MoreBeer.jpg

Yo.

• Members

So far, I've went from "meh" to downright hating every Trader Joe's beer I've bought. I don't know what it is.
:confused:
I love their wine selection, but the beers have just sucked for me. They do sell Murphy's Stout, though, so I'll give them credit for that.

Amen to that. I went on a bender and bought all of the TJ's 5 bangers and they didn't do much for me.

Yo.

• Members

I do believe that he picked all of that up when he picked up the cab (SWR 12 Stack) that's sitting behind all of it from me last August...
:thu:

Hahah. It's actually a 8x8 back there. I do have a few bottles of the Premium left. Horrible. The good stuff didn't last all that long.

Yo.

Archived