SVT or V4B???

Emerica167852

• Members

Im debating between an SVT classic or the smaller(100watt) version the V4b-H . i was wondering if the power and just sheer beastlyness and w/e of the svt out weight the lightness and cheeper cost. i surely only need a 100 watt amp so its not about the volume. thanks

• Moderators

In the old ones, in my experience, the V-4B sounds more open and overdrives a heck of a lot easier. The SVT is heavier, thicker, louder. However, the SVT also has bright inputs and normal inputs on each of channel one and channel two, which each have separate preamp sections, and between those four inputs and the accompanying EQ, there are lots of tones in the SVT.

• Members

Yeah, that is exactly what I felt about the new V4B vs. the SVT, Kindness. It surely breaks up a lot sooner, just as a function of being lower wattage. The natural driven power tube sound comes a lot sooner, and it sounds great up to ear-splitting loudness with the right cab.

I spent a couple hours with a new V4b on top of an SVT-610 (ported) a while back and was left really, really impressed with the tone and the amount of volume you can get out of 100 watts with a sensitive speaker. And the tone was pretty mighty.

I'd say you're right that it's more tonally limited. It just happens to make the exact tube tone I like, without any monkeying around. Plugged in and flattened the eq knobs, and the thing sounded like gold.

• Moderators

Yeah, that is exactly what I felt about the new V4B vs. the SVT, Kindness. It surely breaks up a lot sooner, just as a function of being lower wattage. The natural driven power tube sound comes a lot sooner, and it sounds great up to ear-splitting loudness with the right cab.

I spent a couple hours with a new V4b on top of an SVT-610 (ported) a while back and was left really, really impressed with the tone and the amount of volume you can get out of 100 watts with a sensitive speaker. And the tone was pretty mighty.

I'd say you're right that it's more tonally limited. It just happens to make the exact tube tone I like, without any monkeying around. Plugged in and flattened the eq knobs, and the thing sounded like gold.

Exactly. It is dead on what I want to hear with minimal tweaking. V-4B into 1x15 + 1x6 = happiest Kindness ever.

• Moderators

You know, there is one sound I liked better as far as tubes go. But it costs 3x as much
:)

The same shop I was in had an Orange AD200B into a pair of Orange 115s. Monstrous.

There is an AD200B down the block from me. I like the V-4B better by a long shot. You need to give one of the vintage versions a go. :thu:

• Moderators

It's not a re-release. It's just a churning of the model name. They're more dissimilar than similar.

Not having heard one, I knew this was true from the schematics, but I still don't know how different they sound.

• Members

It's not a re-release. It's just a churning of the model name. They're more dissimilar than similar.

Ahh. I have a V4BH waiting for me when I get back home from vacation, so I was curious what to expect. I kind of bought it on a whim

• Members

There is an AD200B down the block from me. I like the V-4B better by a long shot. You need to give one of the vintage versions a go.
:thu:

Hah, I will believe that when I see it :) Which I suppose is what you're saying I need to do. Will keep my eyes peeled!

Archived