Help Me Get Back Into Bass.

gruvjack

• Members

Greetings and salutations, O' Masters of the Low End.

Call me V. I usually hang out in the Live Sound, DJ and KSS forums. I've decided to get a bass guitar and I humbly request your kind help in choosing one that will suit my needs. OK, here's the scoop:

My first instrument was guitar. Then I got into synthesizers. I played bass years ago when I was a teenager but my performance was not decent, let alone stellar. I can learn now with some effort. I would like to start jamming and recording with a decent, reasonably versatile but relatively inexpensive instrument.

The budget is $500. The styles of music will be mostly jazz, funk, some rock (light, progressive but NOT metal), experimental electronic, spaced out ear candy. I will NOT play live under any circumstances as I have no aspirations of going in that direction. No dreams of "making it in the music biz" here. This is just for jamming for fun with friends at home and recording a few experimental tracks.

I'm planning to get an active DI box and go straight into a Soundcraft mixer and an M-Audio Firewire 410 for recording. I would prefer passive pick-ups to keep things simple. I'm thinking 4 strings but I will consider 5 strings if justified (who knows, maybe I'll get addicted to noodling around in the upper frets).

As far as scale, I don't know. What is standard...34 inches? I hear there are shorter scales these days and I don't know what the benefits/trade-offs are. I don't know much about the role of different woods in bass guitars and I would really appreciate a little guidance in that as well. And this thing you guys call neck dive...it should not matter if I'll be playing in a seated position most of the time, right?

I apologize in advance if I sound like a complete goofball novice. I'm not sure of most of the factors involved. Hopefully, you guys can help me make an educated choice in selecting a bass guitar. Thanks in advance.

V.

• Members

I would say a MIM Fender P or Jazz Bass. Both are around $450 new, and are quite nice.
:thu:

+1. I got a MIM Fender Jazz and I lovz it. (no neck dive on a Jazz)

34" scale is the standard. They do make 32" scale and 30" scale for shorter basses. This means that the strings are going to be more loose on the bass, which may make slap bass difficult. They also have 35" scale basses, but it wont be neccessary unless you get a 5er with a low B, to add more tension to the B string.

I wouldn't consider wood to be that important to think about. Like Duke Ellington said, "If it sounds good, it is good."

Most Jazz and Precision basses come with Alder bodys and Maple necks. Alder is a medium wood, capable of a large tone spectrum, and Maple is a very hard wood with lots of highs. MIMs will have Rosewood fingerboards which are somewhat warm sounding.

If you're looking for an Active DI, then the Countryman gets great reviews, I haven't played one myself. I own a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass DI, which gets good reviews, and has a lot of features, however some feel that the features add too much color to the bass. I disagree, because many of the features can be turned off, to produce a very clean sound.

• Members

Wow. Thanks for the replies, fellas.

Solderjunkie, I'll definitely consider used basses. They were never out of the question.

Marko & Fran da Man, thanks for the suggestion. That Mustang looks interesting.

Last in Line, thanks for the info. I thought the 34 inch scale was a little too much for me to handle when I was younger but that was then. As far as DI's go I had the Seymour Duncan SFX-06 in mind. Any thoughts on that?

Overall, I'd say you guys are leaning towards Fender. Are those MIM's really worth the money or do they come with surprise "features" that I'd want to upgrade down the road?

I've also looked at Ibanez, ESP and Godin. Any thoughts on these?

Unfortunately, I can't have my pick of basses to demo because music stores here are limited. I'll look through what they have but pickings will be slim.

Those Musicman Stingrays, Warwicks and Spectors look nice but way out of my range.

V.

• Members

I checked out a local store and they only had beginner Ibanez and Suzuki (had no idea they made stringed instruments) models. Ironic considering they had pretty high end guitars like signature model Jacksons, Les Pauls and Strats.

I took a liking to a natural color Suzuki neck thru which was surprisingly light and manageable. It had a smaller body which was fine by me. I fiddled with it for a couple of minutes but did not ask to plug in. The sour faced sales guy looked like he was having a bad day and probably not in the mood to hear badly executed Seinfeld riffs. :o

That's all that was in the store. 5 basses. A couple of them had corroded frets and looked like they had been there for years. Anything else will have to be special ordered and that means a commitment to buy. No deal. :cop:

So I've been looking at G&L Tributes online and they seem to be right up my alley. If I get a budget instrument, the electronics are the first thing I'd upgrade. By the looks of it, I don't need to do that with a Tribute bass. I'm thinking a 4 stringer would be my cup of tea. My quest now is to distinguish the differences between the SB2, JB2 and the L2000 and go from there.

Question: has anyone tried the Seymour Duncan SFX-06 Paranormal Bass DI yet? Is it any good? I'm thinking of getting it but no local store has one (surprise surprise).

V.

• Members

So I've been looking at G&L Tributes online and they seem to be right up my alley. If I get a budget instrument, the electronics are the first thing I'd upgrade. By the looks of it, I don't need to do that with a Tribute bass. I'm thinking a 4 stringer would be my cup of tea. My quest now is to distinguish the differences between the SB2, JB2 and the L2000 and go from there.

V.

I like G&L and it's a great value, but if you going to get one personally I would get the JB2. You can drop any pickup you want in if you don't like the sound stock. A lot of people think G&L's sound fine stock, but I had an SB2 and didn't like the pickups for recording.

Totally different direction but:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Cirrus-PBX-4-String-Bass-Guitar?sku=512188

They play so beautifully and sound sweet. Great action all the way up the neck for progressive. A little over budget but you could go used.

• Members

Wow. Thanks for the replies, fellas.

Solderjunkie, I'll definitely consider used basses. They were never out of the question.

Marko & Fran da Man, thanks for the suggestion. That Mustang looks interesting.

Last in Line, thanks for the info. I thought the 34 inch scale was a little too much for me to handle when I was younger but that was then. As far as DI's go I had the
in mind. Any thoughts on that?

Overall, I'd say you guys are leaning towards Fender. Are those MIM's really worth the money or do they come with surprise "features" that I'd want to upgrade down the road?

I've also looked at Ibanez, ESP and Godin. Any thoughts on these?

Unfortunately, I can't have my pick of basses to demo because music stores here are limited. I'll look through what they have but pickings will be slim.

Those Musicman Stingrays, Warwicks and Spectors look nice but way out of my range.

V.

The MIM's are solid instruments. If you find a good one, it will last you forever. The same goes for Squier Vintage Modifieds. Despite mine needing a bit of tweaking to deal with the heavy flatwounds that I use, it's an excellent bass. I have the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, which I highly recommend. I've also heard nothing but good things about the other VM basses (Precision, Telebass and Fretless Jazz).

The new Classic Vibe Squiers look promising as well.

As for upgrades, I haven't found any necessary on my Squier VM. It's completely solid and is 100% stock.

From the MIM's I've played, I doubt they'd need anything but a new set of strings. You could throw a high-mass bridge on one as well, but it's certainly far from necessary.

• Members

I bought my first bass guitar nearly six years ago. I was sure it was going to be a Fender Jazz MIM standard. The salesman suggested I try a Godin. I picked up a nice Godin Freeway 4 with a Precision-style split pick-up in the nec position and a Jazz-type in the bridge position (a P/J).

The Godin was the one for me. No single-coil buzz when adjusting pickup balance and the nut width on the neck was a nice and slim 1.5" just like a Fender Jazz.

Very well built and in your price range.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinfreewaybassp.htm

DeathHands has the right idea. Go out to a few shops and play some. Plug them in, move up and down the neck, fret a few notes. One of them will "speak" to you. Okay, not in an audible voice or anything, that's weird. But you know, one will be right for you. Some instruments you seem to fight in order to play, and some inspire you to play. Find one of those.

Archived