• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
*ahem* that was one
through
three.
:cop:

I used to own a '69 jazz, and it got stolen, I'd do anything to get another. The Highway One jazz I have now is my poor man's answer to getting it back, which is something I'll likely never be able to afford to do.
:cry:

Sh"t. That means I've got to keep my GAS at bay ?

Bad show, when your gear gets nicked. I hate it when people steal personal stuff. I hate theft and dishonesty, period.

The '69 plays very nicely, thank you. It's been at the wars and the laquer on the back of the neck is completely worn off. At that time Fender had begun to slide and the body is not made of the most amazing pieces of wood I've seen. Also a misjudged attempt to hot-rod it has left an ugly scar underneath the p/g. Still I've been offered ridiculous sums for it. Mind you, that's here in Scandinavia. I don't know why. With the current exchange-rate we pay the same for an intermediate instrument here, as we do for a high-end in the States.

You still wanna do anything to get a '69 ;)

• Members
:thu:

This thread absolves you of all n00bn3ss.

Thank you. That was the nicest thing I've been told for a long time :thu: almost sig-stuff for a noob.

Thank you, Renfield, REMUS, Trauma Luna, Bass- and Modman, as well.
Not to forget Super Bass, my internet-tutor.

• Members
*ahem* that was one
through
three.
:cop:

I used to own a '69 jazz, and it got stolen, I'd do anything to get another. The Highway One jazz I have now is my poor man's answer to getting it back, which is something I'll likely never be able to afford to do.
:cry:

Sh"t. That means I've got to keep my GAS at bay ?

Bad show, when your gear gets nicked. I hate it when people steal personal stuff. I hate theft and dishonesty, period.

The '69 plays very nicely, thank you. It's been at the wars and the laquer on the back of the neck is completely worn off. At that time Fender had begun to slide and the body is not made of the most amazing pieces of wood I've seen. Also a misjudged attempt to hot-rod it has left an ugly scar underneath the p/g. Still I've been offered ridiculous sums for it. Mind you, that's here in Scandinavia. I don't know why. With the current exchange-rate we pay the same for an intermediate instrument here, as we do for a high-end in the States.

You still wanna do anything to get a '69 ;)

• Members
Quitter
:rolleyes:

So, what's the new one ?

Is Trauma Luna interested in a Thor ?

i'd like to, but i have no money at the moment, ill start work in some days, so maybe in a month and a half ill have enough money to think about buying a thor sound, thanks for offering :)

• Members

You still wanna do anything to get a '69
;)

Yes! I bought the Highway One jazz bass because it has nitro finish, so it'll deteriorate over time, thus helping it look more like my old '69 which had PLENTY of wear on it. It was gigged 5 nights a week for over 30 years before I got my hands on it. That bad boy had mojo.

• Members
Oh my carp. Give me that 78 Fender J !!!
:eek:

Give ? :lol:

My Puke-burst ?

It is a beauty. After 30 years it only has two small nicks.
What makes it special, at least to me, is its tone. To me it reeks jazz-music. Mellow and very hazy, not so much typical growl. I suppose it comes from the neck-pocket. Using micro-tilt it's otherwise a monday-job, but I won't change it as that may be the source of it's special tone.

The '83 Squier J, on the other hand, has everything you'd want from a Fender. Which it is, when it comes to that.

Tell you what. If you, any of you, have your ways past this neck of the woods, do make a stop here and give my basses a try-out.

• Members

Yes! I bought the Highway One jazz bass because it has nitro finish, so it'll deteriorate over time, thus helping it look more like my old '69 which had PLENTY of wear on it. It was gigged 5 nights a week for over 30 years before I got my hands on it. That bad boy had mojo.

Yes ?

You'd better get over here.

From what I hear of the Hw-1 it's good, but in spite of it's finish, I suppose it'll still take some time to get the look you miss.

• Members

Yes ?

You'd better get over here.

From what I hear of the Hw-1 it's good, but in spite of it's finish, I suppose it'll still take some time to get the look you miss.

It will take some time to be as worn in as my old one was, but it's already starting to show the wood in some areas, I'm really liking how it's coming so far, I can't imagine what it will look like in a year. It's making me want a white Hwy 1 P as well.

• Members
But, dear me, showing the wood in 5 or 6 years
:confused:
It takes some usage.

May I recommend a jump-suit and skin-peeling ?

They are very thin, un-clear coated nitro finishes, down right soft feelingh to the touch. They market them as cheaper to make, keeping the price down. But to me it's a bonus as the paint will wear that much faster. Not everyone wants a shiny new bass in 10 years, something to be said about the instruments of old that looked their age, poly finishes of today never will. I'm not going to deny that I may have "encouraged" some of the holes in the paint to get a little bigger, but they all started on their own.

• Members

I've read in the ad's that the Highways have: a satin finish that won't swirl and is insensitive to fingermarks.

I just didn't realize they only used a whiff of that finish.

That seems an excellent idea for people with fear of gloss.

You happen to have a tat over your elbow with one of the young dudes doing a Townsend to his guitar ?

• Members
I've read in the ad's that the Highways have: a satin finish that won't swirl and is insensitive to fingermarks.

I just didn't realize they only used a whiff of that finish.

That seems an excellent idea for people with fear of gloss.

You happen to have a tat over your elbow with one of the young dudes doing a Townsend to his guitar ?

It's pretty unlikely that the finishes will ever check (crack) they are too thin, no thick gloss to crack, but I wouldn't say that the finish is insensitive in any way. There are definite impressions in the paint (not the wood) where pressure from a potential scuff or whatever visibly indented the paint. That's step one to it wearing down, from there I can see a few spots where it looks almost peeling, like a light sunburn might. It's not peeling, it's just the fringe edges of the impression are raised, sort of like an over waxed apple, and once that occurs it literally can be scraped off with a fingernail. I honestly think they only have 3 coats of paint on them, as I can see untouched areas wear down to the dull impressions to the waxed look to the wood, all within an inch or so. Definitely the right thing for those that don't want a bright and shiny new looking bass, both when they buy it and a few years down the road.

The bass is at work right now, being used on an R&D project, but when I get it home in the next day or so I'll take an update pic of it to compare to what it used to look like, with closeups of the wear. You'll see what I mean then.

I couldn't be happier, it's exactly what I was hoping for from the finish. Poly has it's place in the market, but for this bass (and a white P) I want exactly this effect.

Oh, and what's my deal with wanting a white P to wear as well? The tat on my elbow is not some "young dudes doing a Townsend to his guitar," it's bassist Paul Simonen from The Clash smashing his (faded) white P bass on the ground. It's the album cover to their "London Calling" album. Rolling Stone magazine voted it the #1 most iconic photograph in rock history.

londoncalling.jpg

• Members

My fail !

It's a bass, not a guitar.
Still, to an old geezer like me, Paul Simenon is one of the young dudes.
And he is doing a Townsend to his bassguitar. No wonder it looked used.
I'm beginning to understand your wish to have a battered bass and preferably a once-upon-a-time white P.
You're a punk at heart :idea:
Well, I'm one of those scolded hippies.
I suppose it comes with the age.

Talking about iconic. London Calling itself is in that category along with Never Mind The... and a couple of others, I believe.
I never was much into punk, but there were some good groups. I like the energy. Reminds me of one of my first favourite groups, Kinks, in their early days.

Do post the before/after pictures.

• Members

My fail !

It's a bass, not a guitar.

Still, to an old geezer like me, Paul Simenon
is
one of the young dudes.

And he
is
doing a Townsend to his bassguitar. No wonder it looked used.

I'm beginning to understand your wish to have a battered bass and preferably a once-upon-a-time white P.

You're a punk at heart
:idea:
Well, I'm one of those scolded hippies.

I suppose it comes with the age.

Talking about iconic. London Calling itself is in that category along with Never Mind The... and a couple of others, I believe.

I never was much into punk, but there were some good groups. I like the energy. Reminds me of one of my first favourite groups, Kinks, in their early days.

Do post the before/after pictures.

Paul is an old geezer now (sorta). He's 52.

clash460.jpg

Paul on the left and Mick Jones on the right.

Archived