suggestions for a 300 dollar new bass

poomwah

• Members

ok, as most of you know, my wife is getting me a bass for my birthday next month. But she still wants there to be some sort of surprise, so I'm supposed to give here a wish list. I told her ANYTHING that SHE got me, I'd love an appreciate. But she says I'm too particular about what I like and dislike. Used is out of the question since she knows nothing about basses or what to look for, so that would mean I'd have to do my own shopping and thereby kill the surprise.

So, what do you guys recommend in the 300 and under price range, 300 being the absolute top limit. I'm not into fenders or squires, nice instruments, they just don't do it for me. Would prefer something not just useful but also visually appealing since whatever I get will hang on the living room wall.

Throw me some suggestions guys :]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like the sr300 ibanez, its already on the list, not to mention my guy at sweetwater quoted me 276 shipped :] GC wants 300 :]

I like the rbx374 from yam a LOT, but they are 350

pre modded sx wouldnt work because she doesnt want to go with used.

a schecter for that price would have to be used too :[

so, as it stands right now, the list is ibanez sr300, LOL

I'm doing some research on the low end esps

• Members

This one has interested me greatly:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-JTKB200-Bass-Guitar?sku=517442

544388.jpg

It is $349, though, and I haven't seen any used yet.

You could likely score a used ATK-300 for that. I've wanted one of those for quite a while, too.

I've been eying the jet king since before they came to the states, and I like the atks too, but it can't be used :[

• Members

maybe one of these

547308jpg.jpg472276jpg.jpg

even though the second one would probably not look at home playing any of the music I play, but who cares :p it would look damn good purple

I'm waiting for death hands to say something about the second one :p

• Members

Hey poomwah, I'd have to completely agree with JacieFB. I've played that Jetking bass a number of times and for that kind of a price tag it's definitely worth it. I think it even rivals an American Jazz believe it or not. The ATK-300 is a sweet sounding instrument as well, but if you're looking for a cheap passive bass definitely go with JTKB200~

• Members

Hey poomwah, I'd have to completely agree with JacieFB. I've played that Jetking bass a number of times and for that kind of a price tag it's definitely worth it. I think it even rivals an American Jazz believe it or not. The ATK-300 is a sweet sounding instrument as well, but if you're looking for a cheap passive bass definitely go with JTKB200~

thanks for the advice, but the jtkb is too expensive.. I can't say "hey, thanks for wanting to get me a bass for my birthday, oh by the way, I want you to spend more " lol

so 300 is the absolute limit on this one... Hell, its not like I NEED another bass :p

• Members

Yeah, good point
;)
Well, if I can think of another good bass under $300 I'll let you know....but in the mean time try looking for a used one~!

I'm all about used basses lately... but if I get a used one, I'm going to have to go find it and check it out. So then it kills the surprise, because I'd know what I was getting. She doesn't want to take the chance on me giving her a used list and her getting me one with something wrong with it.

If I was going for used in that price range, oh my god , the list would be as huge as i wish my cock was

• Members

After thumbing through the Musicians Friend bass section sorted down to the $200~300 range, the only one I thought I'd really like to try (other than some of the newer, highly recommended Squiers which you ruled out) is the ESP LTD Viper. I've always liked that body shape better than the SG body shape. I own an old '67 SG 6-string that is loaded with classic mojo and the body still doesn't do anything for me.

• Members

After thumbing through the Musicians Friend bass section sorted down to the $200~300 range, the only one I thought I'd really like to try (other than some of the newer, highly recommended Squiers which you ruled out) is the ESP LTD Viper. I've always liked that body shape better than the SG body shape. I own an old '67 SG 6-string that is loaded with classic mojo and the body still doesn't do anything for me.

those do look pretty cool, but I actually like the actual sg body style, especially mine :]

DSCF0281.jpg

• Members

It's a joke. I know Poomwah's history and he owns a T-40 that he can't play due to back issues.

oh I can play it... james jamerson style when he was too drunk to play and would lie down flat on his back . that I can do :p

• Members

DSCF0281.jpg

That's kinda why I suggested it...I thought you might like a variation on a theme. :)

Whole lotta Daisy Rock going on at that price point, too. :evil:

There were some neat looking Hamer Slammers, if you're into that sort of thing. I have no data on the Slammers, but I know Hamer has been known to make a fine instrument.

• Members

Archived