Anyone running old tube heads for a bass rig? What cab(s) are you using?

NoirAbattoir

• Members

I just put some money down on an old 120 watt Peavey Butcher head. Since I'm also a guitarist, so I will double dip with this bad boy. It sounds great for a cheapo (I'm getting it for $250), it's basically a Marshall JMP clone from the late 70s.

What cabs are you running your amp through? What would you recommend for me?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Butcher sounds sterile as hell on both bass and guitar compared to my Laney AOR. As for cabs, I run a lot of efficient SWR stuff (4x10, 8x8, 1x18, 4x12...).

Yo.

I've tried a number of Laney AOR amps over the years and none of them come close to the Marshall JMP or this Butcher.

• Moderators

I just put some money down on an old 120 watt Peavey Butcher head. Since I'm also a guitarist, so I will double dip with this bad boy. It sounds great for a cheapo (I'm getting it for $250), it's basically a Marshall JMP clone from the late 70s.

What cabs are you running your amp through? What would you recommend for me?

Depends on the gig, for me. I ususlly use a Sunn 200S for rehearsal. I play that into a POS home made cabinet loaded with a JBL 2032 and another home made with a JBL 2119H 8" for highs. For gigs, I might use that setup if it's a small gig, and close to the rehearsal space, which is out in the coast range. I also have a couple of Sunn Concert PA cabinets from the 60's. Horn drivers are shot, so I rewired them to run the D130's full range. Very nice for small to medium size gigs.

For larger gigs, or when I want to look nice, I'll use my Sunn Model T and Model 410H. Bigger yet, I'll bring along the Model 215. I also have a couple of 200S cabinets, each with two D140 drivers, but I don't take them out much.

I can't recommend anything for you, though. I don't know what you like, how big your gigs are, how loud you need to be, etc.

I also found this: "According to the owner's manual online, Peavey chose to limit the Butcher's bass response

• Members

Sunn 415M. Bonecrushingly loud with my ~200 watt old tube heads. Good luck finding one. Maybe an old Acoustic 2X15 would do; I had the 408 (4X15) and it was pretty efficient, I'd imagine the 2X15 had similar speakers.

I had one of those Sunn cabs a few years ago. It was too big to be practical in my situation so I sold it on craigslist for $400. :( I ran my Ampeg V4 through it.

• Members

Dynacord B-1001 running through a Peavey 2x15.

The Peavey is a solid cab, it's just that my amp and it don't get along at all. But surprisingly, when I play a guitar through it, it sounds absolutely heavy and crushing. It's not pushing out as much of a low end as with a bass guitar, so its not muddy, just naturally distorted and crunchy.

• Members

I have a Sunn 2000S (with a cab that is taking me forever to get around to restoring it). In the meantime, when played thru an Ampeg SVT115E and an avatar B210Neo, it sounds terrific. I play my guitar thru the the avatar

cab too, but don't really like the way that sounds too much. Your speakers are going to need to be super efficient (as previously stated) to do double duty for bass/guitar.

• Members

I had one of those Sunn cabs a few years ago. It was too big to be practical in my situation so I sold it on craigslist for $400.
:(
I ran my Ampeg V4 through it.

Yes, it's hardly practical for any situation. It's easier to manage than the Acoustic 4X15, which was in turn easier to manage than the '69 SVT 8X10 I had before it. I can't see many situations where I'd want to haul it around, I have a bunch of little cabs that I can move myself for that.

Someday, when I need to play a stadium and their PA is out of service, I'll be glad I have it.

Archived