Cheap bass for Precision sound - Kramer Focus 7000 any good?

uOpt

• Members

I'm looking for a cheap bass (a guitarist's bass, what a fate). What I want is a P-bass sound. P pickup, Alder body, maybe Ash, bolt-on, full-size body is what I figure I need.

Locally I can buy a Kramer Focus 7000 bass which has a P-bass pickup and some bridge humbucker or another. I have a Seymour Duncan P-bass pickup here.

Anybody got any info on this thing? A quick google doesn't even reveal what kind of wood it's made of. But I have a Kramer Focus 3000 guitar and I like it, so I tend to got for it.

Any opinions on this?

• Members

OK, I'm an idiot. I mean "Focus 7000".

The Stryker stuff is junk.

Focus is made by ESP in the 1980ties. There is no question that these are good from a workmanship aspect, but I dunno about woods and hardware, that's why I ask.

• Members

If I wanted a Precision sound I'd buy a Precision.
:confused:

We are talking $180 here. I can't get a Japanese Fender for that money, I would probably go to a U.S. Fender, but that's $500-$700 even for beaten up pieces.

• Members

Well, I just learned he even has a hardshell case included.

I'll go and pick up that sucker tonight. I still have a Yamaha rbx300 with no case on the wrong continent, so failing everything else I can be like Calvin with the sucky propeller cap enjoying the box it came in more ;)

• Members

Metallic red.

Would have preferred metallic yellow :)

Not sure where to get a decent replacement for the bridge humbucker, but for now I'll just slam in the Seymour Duncan vintage P. I just hope this thing didn't sell while I was fooling around.

• Members

I bought a Kramer Focus precision style bass a few years ago for 120.00. It had a good sound but needed some setup work. I had the guy slap on a new Gotoh bridge (while he did the setup) and the bass really came out nice for 180.00 total (bass + setup + bridge). It had true deep precision tone. I'm sorry I sold it but my buddy (a guitar player) has it now and he loves it. It records nicely too.

• Members

Got it hyper.gif

Driving through all of Cambridge and half of Somerville with the confused Friday evening crowd nuts.gif, twice freak.gifdead.gif

THINGIE NEEDS CLEANING eek.gif. You think it can stand the dishwasher? angel.gif

I thought I have a set of bass strings here but apparently that's on the wrong side of the big pond, too mad.gif

I think all things considered I need cheers.gifcheer.gifbooze.gif first.

• Members

Haha it's the same as fretless'

hope he doesn't mind me posting this..
:p;)
IMG_0008.jpg

This isn't mine... unfortunately.
:lol:

Don't change the pickups unless you have to, from what i've heard of his it sounds awesome!
:thu:

It that is an example of the bass in question, it's certainly worth $180 w/HSC...

• Members

Got it
hyper.gif

Driving through all of Cambridge and half of Somerville with the confused Friday evening crowd
nuts.gif
, twice
freak.gifdead.gif

THINGIE NEEDS CLEANING
eek.gif
. You think it can stand the dishwasher?
angel.gif

I thought I have a set of bass strings here but apparently that's on the wrong side of the big pond, too
mad.gif

I think all things considered I need
booze.gif
first.

rabbit_pancake.jpg

• Members

Haha it's the same as fretless'

hope he doesn't mind me posting this..
:p;)
IMG_0008.jpg

This isn't mine... unfortunately.
:lol:

Don't change the pickups unless you have to, from what i've heard of his it sounds awesome!

yeah no the pick ups are F'n killer and got what 20 years on'em :love:

:p:lol: love those Japanese instrument builders with their crazy ideas and of course their... :lol::love:

• Members

IMG_00017.jpg

some of the best guitars ever made , mostly Fender inspired with great parts ( super strats ) even the bass body is like a strat ,the guitars all have the early Floyd Rose trems which were made in Germany by Schaller of super hardened steel , the fulcrum "knife edge " is still razor sharp after all the years wanking .

• Members

Let's see.

Half a tube of ScratchX later, some virtuoso cleaner, virtuoso polish Gibson fretboard oil, metal polish, new strings and new pot knobs and thingie is shiny.

Sounds much better than I thought through my Vox Tonelab (which has bassman amp settings, so not too surprising). Not sure about the DRI strings yet.

img_6366__focus7000bass_med.jpg

img_6370__focus7000bass_med.jpg

Love the fretboard I got. Sorry for the dark light.

img_b6356__focus7000bass-fretboard___med

Archived