Survivalism....

BottomHeavyKate

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
During my stay in our fire-gushing army, I was told that if I put on my regulation helmet , the rainponcho and sat down, I would survive even Teh Bomb. Somehow it did not make me feel better.

Not to long ago we were told duct tape would save us from anthrax. :lol:

• Members

It takes fuel to go to shops and buy water and such. With no electricity you can't pump fuel and with no fuel you don't get very far.

How far do I need to get? Keep in mind, I live in the middle of a metro area, so fresh food will immediately be gone in this hypothetical. And how long without fuel? Because it isn't like we wouldn't immediately start rebuilding a fuel supply that was lost.

• Members
You obviously haven't read World War Z. How can you expect to even know how to survive w/o the basic info neccessary for survival?
:confused:

Because if the answer to my question is "no" I'm totally good to go. Sailboat on Lake Michigan with Zooey Daschnell, to repopulate the earth= WIN

• Members
that would give me a reason to buy them without feeling like I also need to pick up my tin foil hat....
:D

How did they work for hunting?

Extremely well - to my knowledge, they were the inspiration behind the 1st commercial scentlok suits, and are pretty much the same thing, minus the fancy liner, and $200 pricetag... I just wash them once with a detergant made for carbon suits before wearing them when new - if you don't, they'll shed charcoal on your clothes... I have shot deer at closer than 15 FEET - is that good enough for beating their noses???

- georgestrings

• Moderators
No i don't!

ref. waterworld

:p

Will zombies need lawyers? How about musical instrument and amp work?

{censored}, I'll have to rely on my construction/engineering training and rugged good looks. :facepalm:

In all seriousness, the original conversation is pure science fiction at this point.

• Members

Just remember, the Necronomicon is
not
good late night reading.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

In any sort of societal collapse, I'd probably end up getting shot to death by some person holed up in a ramshackle fortress. I'd be walking along looking for shelter, not realizing that I was too close to some crazy gun nut's hideout. The next thing I know, a 30.06 bullet would rip through my chest and it would be all over.

• Members

Will zombies need lawyers? How about musical instrument and amp work?

{censored}, I'll have to rely on my construction/engineering training and rugged good looks.
:facepalm:

In all seriousness, the original conversation is pure science fiction at this point.

Zombies will definitely need lawyers buy I doubt they'll have much in the way of patents and other intellectual property.

I think they'll need defense against slip-n-fall attorneys hired by people who lie and say, "Friggin zombie bit me and broke my car window."

• CMS Author

I gotta snicker a bit at the "I can hunt and fish" folks here....good luck after the first week....if you haven't been shot by someone competing for the scarce huntable resources in your area, they'll be gone after that first week. If you don't live near the ocean after that, you'll be living off whatever crops exist locally until those have been fought over and taken.

Twinkies and cockroaches.

• Members

How far do I need to get? Keep in mind, I live in the middle of a metro area, so fresh food will immediately be gone in this hypothetical. And how long without fuel? Because it isn't like we wouldn't immediately start rebuilding a fuel supply that was lost.

Fresh food won't stay fresh very long even in a metro. If the States was to become a war-zone, it is not likely to be the Seychelles attacking you and only one week. Supply-lines, electricity-plants and fuel-refineries are a popular targets in war. Any selfrespecting enemy will know about caved-up reserves and could make it their business bringing supplies from a war-zone country-side into an even more likely war-zone metro might prove tricky after all. Also they will probably not let you go about repairing damages unhindered. Just saying.

• Members
I gotta snicker a bit at the "I can hunt and fish" folks here....good luck after the first week....if you haven't been shot by someone competing for the scarce huntable resources in your area, they'll be gone after that first week. If you don't live near the ocean after that, you'll be living off whatever crops exist locally until those have been fought over and taken.

Twinkies and cockroaches.

When I refer to the ability to hunt/fish....that means my family regularly has a years worth of venison/salmon and other meat on hand. So we'd already be set - it would come into play once we start to run down on food. also we can like crazy so there are tons of canned goods in the basement.

It was funny - I was making pickles one year after moving into the city (Chicago) and I went to look for canning jars. One lady laughed at me and said no one does that anymore...:eek:

• CMS Author

Fresh food won't stay fresh very long even in a metro. If the States was to become a war-zone, it is not likely to be the Seychelles attacking you and only one week. Supply-lines, electricity-plants and fuel-refineries are a popular targets in war. Any selfrespecting enemy will know about caved-up reserves and could make it their business bringing supplies from a war-zone country-side into an even more likely war-zone metro might prove tricky after all. Also they will probably not let you go about repairing damages unhindered. Just saying.

Now here's the $10 question; given a landing of soldiers of US soil who gain a substantial foothold, how long before we go nuclear on their homeland?

Give that a thought and a shudder. My guess it we measure that time in hours, not days or weeks.

• CMS Author

When I refer to the ability to hunt/fish....that means my family regularly has a years worth of venison/salmon and other meat on hand. So we'd already be set - it would come into play once we start to run down on food. also we can like crazy so there are tons of canned goods in the basement.

It was funny - I was making pickles one year after moving into the city (Chicago) and I went to look for canning jars. One lady laughed at me and said no one does that anymore...
:eek:

You assume you can defend that year's supply for long enough for it to matter.:idea:

Archived