Powell: If elected, Obama will face "crisis" in January

1tallbassguy

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

rather than what you (often erroneously) interpret their hidden intentions or implications to be?
;)

As you have done here and in the other post?

I'll clue you in a little: I was adding to your statement, not taking away from it or attempting to refute it.

Interpret is the operative word here; from this, you can at best make a reasoned guess as to my intent.

If you want to really know my intent, I'll attempt to describe it now:

Einstein vs. Neils Bohr

The intersection of certainty and probability.

• Members

If you were expecting an argument or a refutation of your statement, then you'll (likely) be disappointed.

I'm expecting that when you quote my statement you'll actually be responding to my statement...

When your response deals with an "interpretation" that is explicitly contradictory to my statement, then you're not doing that...

As you have done here and in the other post?

I don't suppose you're going to actually point out where I've done this? Or are you just going to make an accusation about my behavior and then run away when asked for evidence?

I'll clue you in a little: I was adding to your statement, not taking away from it or attempting to refute it.

Your words explicitly attempted to refute it. You can't claim they didn't, because they explicitly did...

"Adding to someone's statement" and then refuting the addition is the textbook definition of a logical fallacy...It's not a legitimate option in dialogue...

And once again I'll state:

Show me a single significant peace that was not forged by war or the threat of war, and I will concede that such peaces are possible.

Feel free to do that...or you know, ignore the request...I expect the latter, but would be happy to be surprised...

• Members

I thought it was ironic of you to make racist comments while accusing someone else of racist behaviour by way of Rush Limbaugh.

Not to mention a little hypocritical: By your own logic you should endorse Powell for what Rush accuses him of. After all, he didn't cow-tow to 'PC crap' when he 'chose Obama because he is black'.

Stretching things I said a bit don't you think.

• Members

And once again I'll state:

Show me a single significant peace that was not forged by war or the threat of war, and I will concede that such peaces are possible.

Feel free to do that...or you know, ignore the request...I expect the latter, but would be happy to be surprised...

Hell, I'm even smarter and more historically engaged than you are, and vastly better looking, and even I can't think of one. That's a sure sign that it doesn't exist; when the greatest mind on the forum can't come up with one, and you can't come up with one, either, it's just not there.

C7

• Members

Biden can't shut the {censored} up to save his life.

He's always been like that. He talks until he has something to say. He has been given a total pass in this race.

Everyone should read What it Takes by Richard Ben Cramer, a great book covering the 1988 Presidential primaries/election. Long piece on Biden, and how his mouth/plagiarizing led to his undoing as a serious Presidential candidate.

• Members
I've seen that piece on his guns, the FDR quote, and now the "crisis" that will hit quite a bit lately. Even the Daily Show did a piece on his gaffe's.

I would like to see him interviewed to discuss the guns and this "crisis" he's spoken about.

Can you imagine the front page hailstorm that would have resulted if McCain had said what Biden did about the "crisis?"

But Biden's comments went mostly undiscussed (except here :) ).

• Members

This was barely discussed in the media!It's the last thing in the world Obama,the dems, and the media want to talk about with only a few days left to go.What little I did see showed the fear on Obama's face as he responded to this matter.There's been more coverage on Palin's wardrobe.

• Members

This was barely discussed in the media!It's the last thing in the world Obama,the dems, and the media want to talk about with only a few days left to go.What little I did see showed the fear on Obama's face as he responded to this matter.There's been more coverage on Palin's wardrobe.

They gotta get their guy elected, no matter how horrible he is.

What's scary is how willing the media has been to bend over for Obama during the campaign; I wonder how complicit they'll be while he's in office.

C7

• Members

All right, it may not be considered "significant" but I did find this in my reading for my history class:

Towards the end of the first millennium BCE in Southern Africa you had the Bantu, mainly farmers, who began to spread out. They encountered stone age peoples who were hunter gatherers. They spoke different languages, they had different lifestyles and my book says that evidence suggests they lived relatively harmonious, even going as far as intermarriage between the two. Eventually they merged and spread throughout much of Southern Africa during the beginings of the first millennium CE.

What do you think?

Dan

• Members

All right, it
may
not be considered "significant" but I did find this in my reading for my history class:

Towards the end of the first millennium BCE in Southern Africa you had the Bantu, mainly farmers, who began to spread out. They encountered stone age peoples who were hunter gatherers. They spoke different languages, they had different lifestyles and my book says that evidence suggests they lived relatively harmonious, even going as far as intermarriage between the two. Eventually they merged and spread throughout much of Southern Africa during the beginings of the first millennium CE.

What do you think?

Dan

I don't really see a parallel due to scale and organizational patterns. Those aren't nations or even kingdoms or city-states. The Bantu and surrounding people were pre-urban revolution/neolithic farming communities. Several hundred or even thousand of people getting along isn't "peace" as much as it is "peaceful"...

• Members
I don't really see a parallel due to scale and organizational patterns. Those aren't nations or even kingdoms or city-states. The Bantu and surrounding people were pre-urban revolution/neolithic farming communities. Several hundred or even thousand of people getting along isn't "peace" as much as it is "peaceful"...

And it's certainly not a negotiated peace based on non-aggression. :D

• Members
They gotta get their guy elected, no matter how horrible he is.

What's scary is how willing the media has been to bend over for Obama during the campaign; I wonder how complicit they'll be while he's in office.

C7

Yeah, the media have to make amends for getting Dubya into office. Twice. :D

• Members
You really think the media got Bush elected? Seriously?

There's a reason you don't see Dan Rather around much anymore...

C7

Just using your logic that the media decides who gets elected. :lol:

Actually, I think the Supreme Court, his bro Jeb, and some funky vote-counting in Florida got Bush elected the second time.

Just sayin'

Archived