Exercise Question

isaac42

• Members

Just the way you're writing. Seems like you're grouchy.

Or maybe just getting old.

:lol:
:poke:

I'm stressed for sure with my current workload with school and job but I don't think I'm overly angry. I just wanted to be clear on this subject to clear up any confusion for Isaac. There's enough bad info out there, this thread shouldn't add to it:D

Dan

• Moderators

I'm stressed for sure with my current workload with school and job but I don't think I'm overly angry. I just wanted to be clear on this subject to clear up any confusion for Isaac. There's enough bad info out there, this thread shouldn't add to it:D

Dan

I think you may have misunderstood me. I didn't make the claim, someone else did. I was merely interested in the source.

• Members

Hey Dan, maybe take a little of that built up stress and lift some weights, just make sure you eat afterwards.
:D

There are some things working out won't help with. 5 assignments due this week as well as a final along with my regular job. I barely have the energy to work out...of course I do every morning:thu:

• Members

I can't find it now, but a while back, there was a thread on exercise, and someone said something along these lines: that running wasn't a particularly good thing to do, because it caused the body to consume the muscles, and that any sustained exercise at a moderate intensity would do the same.

Anybody remember that? Anybody know anything about it, and where I might find more information on that line of thinking?

Running nor any other form of exercise "consumes" muscles. There are many different exercise modalities out there. Whats most beneficial for one individual may not be beneficial for another. There are many factors of why or why not you should choose a certain modality. Just do the activity that you enjoy and can make into a lifelong habit.

• Members

I've been told that too. I'm not willing to join a gym for one machine, though, so for now I'm not using one.

I'm fortunate in that the GF bought a pretty good one, so I don't have to go anywhere to use one... I use that, bike riding, and hitting the heavy bag for cardio... Swimming is great, and I love to do it - unfortunately, I don't seem to get much of a chance to do it, though...

- georgestrings

• Members

I've found biking or the elliptical doesn't give me the same workout as a good jog/run.

My treadmill has a calorie-specific setting where you can do 300/400/500/600 cal's per 30 minutes, and switches up the incline and speed every minute, which is why your body doesn't get used to it, as you input your weight every time and it adjusts from there.

It's the only way, besides a good 1-1.5 hour lifting session that I feel like I accomplished something.

• Members

I've found biking or the elliptical doesn't give me the same workout as a good jog/run.

+1 to that. For some reason, I sweat my little rump off on the bike and my legs feel a bit squirrelly, but cardio-wise, it's like I went for a gentle stroll up the street with my blind/deaf/arthritic dog. :lol:

The exception to this would be a few spinning classes that I've done. Those can kick your ass if you let them. :thu:

• Members

Machines are typically less effective than the real thing. Actually riding a bike is ten times harder than any spin class. Running outside is way harder than on any treadmill, weight machines are less effective than free weights, etc.

I've found that the most effective workouts for me when I can't get outside on the bike or for a trail run are high intensity treadmill intervals for cardio and compound weightlifting exercises like squats, deadlifts, pushups, dips and chinups with either body weight or free weights as well as some core specific stuff.

• Members

I don't find running outside or at the track any more difficult than on a treadmill, especially when you factor in that you're running sometimes at a pretty severe incline for 15 of the 30 minutes.

Plus my left ankle likes to give a little too quickly on not completely flat surfaces, so jogging on a road or around the neighborhood is a no-go.

And on my treadmill I can tell how many calories (or damn close) I burned, exactly how far I ran and the overall speed, etc.. Plus keep my current H.R. monitored.

• Members

I don't find running outside or at the track any more difficult than on a treadmill, especially when you factor in that you're running sometimes at a pretty severe incline for 15 of the 30 minutes.

Plus my left ankle likes to give a little too quickly on not completely flat surfaces, so jogging on a road or around the neighborhood is a no-go.

And on my treadmill I can tell how many calories (or damn close) I burned, exactly how far I ran and the overall speed, etc.. Plus keep my current H.R. monitored.

Then you're not doing it right.... :D (I'm totally kidding)

Unless you have a non-motorized treadmill, the machine is always doing at least some of the work for you. If you set your treadmill flat (like an EQ? :D) and then run on a flat track, you'll work harder on the track.

Maybe I spoke a bit too soon though, because if you're running on a track or if the streets in your area are really flat, then you probably can get a treadmill to be as difficult using the incline. Around here, nothing's flat so it's almost impossible to get a treadmill to be as difficult as an outdoor run.

I'm not saying that treadmills aren't useful either. I use them all the time, but I've seen friends of mine "conquer" the treadmill at the gym, then try to do a road run and get severely pwned. It happened to me with spinning. I thought I was doing great because I could spin for an hour with pretty heavy resistance. Then I got on a real bike.... It was humbling.

• Members

Yeah "real life" running is definitely a PITA, but I still have a helluva long way to "conquer" my treadmill and all of it's settings and stuff, so I'm good! :D

Plus like I said after I had a stress fracture on my left foot/ankle about 3 years ago, it hasn't been the same. I always was susceptible to rolling my leftie for as long as I can remember, and that time was just the tipping point. I have to brace it up really really good just to even run hoops for 30 mins to an hour anymore.

Archived