Wood used for bass

scheczudio

• Members

That was exactly what I was thinking of getting! A MIJ Fender Jazz. I realized the models that use basswood are a lot cheaper than the other models, which used alder/ash instead. So I wanted to know a bit more about it
;)

I think you'd be getting a fine bass then. Any pics?

• Members

Thanks for you replies :thu:

Because of the exchange rate, (1 AUD = 62 JPY) my initial plan, which was to try and get used models, either a Fender Japan 75 reissue, the non-export model Aerodyne Jazzes, Aria pro II SB 1000 or a Bacchus Handmade model isn't really possible atm. My price range went from up to 80,000 yen to about 50,000 yen :cry:

But I'll probably still find something cool over there. We'll see :cool:

Here are pics of the model I was thinking of:

set80219.jpg

set80219.jpg

• Members

Basswood, swamp ash and poplar will have more inherent girth than most other species. They all are susceptible to dings and such as they are all soft. Compensating for that with a hard, penetrating finish will alter its natural resonance.

All are right fine bass body woods.

• Members

Basswood, swamp ash and poplar will have more inherent girth than most other species. They all are susceptible to dings and such as they are all soft. Compensating for that with a hard, penetrating finish will alter its natural resonance.

All are right fine bass body woods.

What would be a "hard penetrating finish"? Would it be something a person could buy at Home Depot and not be a complicated process?

I've heard that a poly finish is not a DIY project. What's a real DIY project/material that could protect a soft wood?

• Members

Some sort of Line-X or Line-A-Bed would definitely protect that soft wood. My 57 RI is made of some pretty soft stuff, I caught a corner (not very hard) and got a quick education on just how soft that wood is.

BTW, I've hauled around 48,000 lbs of body and neck blanks from the sawmill for Fender on many occasion. My company sends them down to Corona, Ca. It's always kinda cool when I pick those up.

I should say my ex-company. :cry:

• Members

What would be a "hard penetrating finish"? Would it be something a person could buy at Home Depot and not be a complicated process?

I've heard that a poly finish is not a DIY project. What's a real DIY project/material that could protect a soft wood?

Poly is certainly a DIY thang. It is a suitable finish for a bass but it isn't what I was getting at when I said 'hard, penetrating'.

Fender did this interesting process on opaque finishes in the mid-80s. They seem to have dipped or coated the bodies in an epoxy that was as much as 1/16" on some instruments. This stuff was difficult to ding and was damn near impossible to strip off.

One of the finishes you could come by is a two part sealing epoxy - it wicks into wood and feels as though it cures almost immediately. In truth it will take 12 hours to cure, but it reinforces the outter surface of the wood to nearly double the natural characteristics of the species depending on its porosity.

If you chase that with a two part finish you will have something near-bullet proof. But you will also change the tone of the body a bit. This may not be a bad thing, but it will have an affect.

A boat supply shop is most likely to carry this sort of thing. Anyone that specializes in epoxy supplies will at least be able to come by it.

• Members

Poly is certainly a DIY thang. It is a suitable finish for a bass but it isn't what I was getting at when I said 'hard, penetrating'.

Fender did this interesting process on opaque finishes in the mid-80s. They seem to have dipped or coated the bodies in an epoxy that was as much as 1/16" on some instruments. This stuff was difficult to ding and was damn near impossible to strip off.

One of the finishes you could come by is a two part sealing epoxy - it wicks into wood and feels as though it cures almost immediately. In truth it will take 12 hours to cure, but it reinforces the outter surface of the wood to nearly double the natural characteristics of the species depending on its porosity.

If you chase that with a two part finish you will have something near-bullet proof. But you will also change the tone of the body a bit. This may not be a bad thing, but it will have an affect.

A boat supply shop is most likely to carry this sort of thing. Anyone that specializes in epoxy supplies will at least be able to come by it.

A deeper penetrating boat repair epoxy might be even better. They have thin epoxy meant to find leaks in wooden boats.

Archived