Band dress code?

g.ghost

• Members

When your band plays at a gig do you have a certain "dress code" or does everyone wear whatever they want?

In both my bands, we have a discussion at the last rehearsal before the gig and decide what will be appropriate. Usually the band is in black or dark colours and the vocalist something different so they stand out a little more.

We recently played at a party for an equestrian group, so we thought it appropriate to wear cowboy hats even though we don't play country music. I seemed to work well...we fit right in with the crowd.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yea we do. Although it's quite informal. We all wear jeans, t-shirts, usually Affliction that we buy at Buckle, and boots. The guitarist and I wear chain wallets and leather braclets. The one thing that we did formally decide on was to wear or not to wear cowboy hats. Obviously from my avatar, we voted against that. lol!!

• Members

Well...my band are all traditional metal heads, which means that they will wear jeans and some band shirt.

Except for me, because I am not all into the band shirt thing.

My wardrobe in general is black only, so black jeans and a black sleeveless shirt does the trick for me.

Years ago I sometimes put on a skirt or something else more feminine, but I don't feel comfortable on stage in skirst and heels so I don't do that anymore.

• Members

At first, we all wanted to represent the Detroit sports teams. Everyone wears a team jersey. Worked well! Just faded away from it. So we all just try to represent something Detroit-related. Either local businesses, muscle car stuff, local venues, things like that.

• Members

In nixon (the band I play bass in) we always wear a shirt and tie for shows. In my other bands, we wear whatever we want.

The bassist in the band that I front joked that she didn't know how to dress when the band doesn't tell her what to wear. She is also in a cover band, and they always tell her what to wear, we don't.

• Members

Depends on the band of course. I was never in a band with a dress code but I can see where metal heads, theme bands and tribute bands would dress accordingly.

There's a Beatles band out here in Chi-town called American English and they do costume changes to reflect the changes in the Beatles styles over the years. They are outstanding in every way!

• Members

im not in a band, never have been, but unless there is a particular theme to the band, maybe like a tribute band to someone like kiss, or like a 50's era type band, i dont really like the idea of a dress code, or costumes, etc. i think everyone should just wear whats comfortable, but also keep in mind what kind of show youre doing. like if its a nice country club or someones business party, then ya shouldnt go dressed in like a rhinestone thong and hooker boots :lol:

Archived