multi effects, or individual pedals?

poomwah

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

which unit are you using bnys?

Currently a Boss SE-70. I have used a Boss SE-50, and wouldn't mind getting a VF1, but I'll keep using what I'm using until it quits.

I don't use a lot of effects, but I like to be able to throw something on if the tune calls for it. I've got some standard patches - a chorus with a little low bump, a thinner chorus, a compressed lead sound with a delay (I have an expression pedal so I can control things like like amount of delay or chorus speed), a pitch shift, straight compressor, extreme fuzz - it's nice to get it all out of one half rack unit.

• Members

Currently a Boss SE-70. I have used a Boss SE-50, and wouldn't mind getting a VF1, but I'll keep using what I'm using until it quits.

I don't use a lot of effects, but I like to be able to throw something on if the tune calls for it. I've got some standard patches - a chorus with a little low bump, a thinner chorus, a compressed lead sound with a delay (I have an expression pedal so I can control things like like amount of delay or chorus speed), a pitch shift, straight compressor, extreme fuzz - it's nice to get it all out of one half rack unit.

I've been leaning toward pedals, but that makes me think.... it would be nice to have different types of one effect without having to change settings, like the two different types of chorus you mentioned. That would be convenient

• Members

The Line 6 M13 is legit.

It can also be had for around $400 now. I paid right at $500 for mine about a month ago.

DEFINITELY worth it! I'm the type of guy that likes to have more than one type of each type of effect though. I like my normal subtle compression, but then a compression boost, and then an overdrive and distortion; subtle chorus, stereo chorus, heavy chorus; fast flange, slow flange; medium phase, stereo phase; 3-4 different types of delays, etc..

For what you spend in pedals, this easily makes it up by giving you a lot more.

For example: I loved my HBE Psylocibe, but so much that I wanted to have 2-3 of them so I could get various sounds out of it! I had to pretty much just stick with one, without changing it on the fly and then back and forth.

Same for my EHX Stereo Electric Mistress, Boss DD3 delay, EBS MultiComp, Analogman TS9DX, etc.. Granted the modulation FX, specifically phaser and flange take some work to dial them in right, but once you do they do a passable job. The distortion and comp models as well as the reverb and delay are where it's at on this one.

• Moderators

I used a Boss SE70 for a few years (like the one bnyswonger mentioned.) I let that one go into the live sound rack and use a VF1 for the bass. Killer. I control it with a Tech 21 midi mouse and a Boss FS6U. Stupidly simple setup and the FX are pretty good quality. I think they are much better than the ME50b (which I owned and liked) and the programming and flexibility is head and shoulders above the GT6b (which I owned and hated.)

• Members

i've gone both routes, multi-pedals and also individual. i keep coming back to individual pedals.

if i could somehow choose which pedals were inside my multi, i might go that route, but i just don't seem to care enough for what's in the multi's.

ymmv.

I would concur until I tested out the M13. The options you get per effect are so much you can pretty much utilize as many variances as it offers!

Plus I like having the option to switch "scenes" and totally change up my pedalboard depending on the gig requirement.

Plus, it's lighter too! :p

• Members

I've been leaning toward pedals, but that makes me think.... it would be nice to have different types of one effect without having to change settings, like the two different types of chorus you mentioned. That would be convenient

Another nice thing about this sort of unit - once you get used the programming it's no biggee, and there are like a 100 storable memory slots. I've got one bank of stereo effects for when I use two amps, and a duplicate set up for mono use. I don't have to change a thing between rigs other than which group I use.

• Members

The Line 6 M13 is legit.

It can also be had for around $400 now. I paid right at $500 for mine about a month ago.

DEFINITELY worth it! I'm the type of guy that likes to have more than one type of each type of effect though. I like my normal subtle compression, but then a compression boost, and then an overdrive and distortion; subtle chorus, stereo chorus, heavy chorus; fast flange, slow flange; medium phase, stereo phase; 3-4 different types of delays, etc..

For what you spend in pedals, this easily makes it up by giving you a lot more.

For example: I loved my HBE Psylocibe, but so much that I wanted to have 2-3 of them so I could get various sounds out of it! I had to pretty much just stick with one, without changing it on the fly and then back and forth.

Same for my EHX Stereo Electric Mistress, Boss DD3 delay, EBS MultiComp, Analogman TS9DX, etc.. Granted the modulation FX, specifically phaser and flange take some work to dial them in right, but once you do they do a passable job. The distortion and comp models as well as the reverb and delay are where it's at on this one.

+1 to all of this. I just got one last week, and couldn't be happier.

• Members

USE WHAT YOU LIKE BEST.

I've seen multieffects pedalboards, alongside stomp boxes, all routed back into rack-mounted effects.

If it gets you the sound you need, USE IT.

Now then. Having said that...

Effects can be highly over-rated. Yes, fun. But in the context of a band, with the rest of the instruments, and a drunk sound guy ruining your mix, and crappy room acoustics mudding up your sound, your effects could mean SQUAT to the audience.

Don't RELY on your effects. Use them to your advantage, use them for key parts, use them for emphasis for the song. But don't rely on your effects to get YOUR TONE.

• Members

i've gone both routes, multi-pedals and also individual. i keep coming back to individual pedals.

if i could somehow choose which pedals were inside my multi, i might go that route, but i just don't seem to care enough for what's in the multi's.

ymmv.

Or you keep going back to multis, depending on how you look at it :D

• Members

Or you keep going back to multis, depending on how you look at it
:D

i find myself happiest with singles. i've tried several different multi's (bass POD, korg ax-1b, boss me-50b, couple of different zooms) and i just can't get into them. i don't like having to edit/write the patches for the POD, and i don't like being limited to one distortion/flanger/delay with the ME-50b or having to shift on the fly.

YMMV.

Archived