Yorkville kills!

gonzobassman

• Members

You don't want this thing man, it's the size of an XC808. Shipping would be frightening.

Figure out a rate quote from Toronto if you want, but I doubt you want it that bad. Most carriers won't even touch it, it's too large.

I was figuring it would be more trouble than it is worth. Thanks! :)

• Members

Hey,Detox,aren't Yorkville,and Traynor kinda the same? I think Renfield told me they don't make this amp anymore.

Traynor is the brand name that Yorkville applies to all instrument amps. They are and have always been one and the same.

The XS800H is gone, replaced by the DB800H. Cosmetically different, a few minor differences in tone and such, but largely the same amp in the end.

• Members

Pretty sure mine is the XS800H. Big chrome knobs,A set of blue lights across the top that dance with your playing. Little white patches to indicate "sweet spots" around the knobs. Some type of tube pre-amp that you can disable, Now that I have really checked this thing out,I'm really getting off on it!

• Members

Traynor is the brand name that Yorkville applies to all instrument amps. They are and have always been one and the same.

The XS800H is gone, replaced by the DB800H. Cosmetically different, a few minor differences in tone and such, but largely the same amp in the end.

What he said.

• Members

Pretty sure mine is the XS800H. Big chrome knobs,A set of blue lights across the top that dance with your playing. Little white patches to indicate "sweet spots" around the knobs. Some type of tube pre-amp that you can disable, Now that I have really checked this thing out,I'm really getting off on it!

Blue LED's means it's the XS version. A silver face is enough to tell though, really.

• Members

They had one of each stacked on top of each other at L&M. My wife was marvelling that the two different branded amps were the exact same.
:D

They took on a new direction about 2 years ago where every subsequent Yorkville instrument amp of any kind would here in be under the resurrected Traynor brand name. All PA and related stays as Yorkville.

Of course they own Apex Electronics, ART (Applied Research and Technology) and VTC Pro Audio too.

Any chance you'd be willing to do a quick A/B and give your thoughts on the differences when set the same through the same cab?

• Members

I remember the switch from Yorkville to Traynor. IIRC it was shortly after the XC808 came out. I always assumed Apex was the accessory/mic line and ART was the gadget line... (Preamps, line amps, effects etc) all essentially made in the same house. Was it always this way?

If I can get down there, absolutely I'll A-B them. I live across the bridge right now, between cloverdale and white rock so it's a bit of a trek. L&M has fallen off a bit in the last few years so I don't go there as much. The new terminal store is beautiful but poorly run imo. Thinking back to the old south Granville location leaves me teary eyed. A good friend of mine was in the bass dept. at the temporary store when it was at Arbutus and 12th, and there was Wayne at the Granville store for as far back as I can remember... Great service, and they knew their products. Now it seems like a wave of part timers or guitar players stuck in the bass dept. The Surrey and Langley stores are even worse.

I had guys making fun of my Warwick within earshot, while selling top of the line Squires and low end Yamahas to soccer moms. Funny enough many seem to poo-poo Yorkie/Traynor gear. If I could get a living wage working there (I couldn't) I'd go in and try and give real service.

Sorry for the rant, but L&M used to be a great place to shop for gear. Competitive prices (now higher than Tom Lee), great service, and a good selection. All gone.

• Members

I remember the switch from Yorkville to Traynor. IIRC it was shortly after the XC808 came out. I always assumed Apex was the accessory/mic line and ART was the gadget line... (Preamps, line amps, effects etc) all essentially made in the same house. Was it always this way?

I totally agree with you on the way L&M is going. In all fairness though, it's hard to blame them. It used to be a job for working musicians to occupy themselves during the day, but the pay is not competitive, so the Walmart/GC effect eventually takes hold. You get less trained, younger staff who just don't care, and IMO I think that last part is more cultural than L&M related. The kids these days are lazy and expect eerything to happen for them, be handed to them.

As for the YS brands, you are right about the types of things they offer, each brand fills a market niche, without blurring lines... Yorkville won't make a mic, Apex won't make a speaker, etc.

Apex was created by them to carry the name for the mics and such so it didn't have to say Yorkville, because YS isn't known for mics. All products are made overseas (China mainly). Most designs originate with the factory and then are tweaked at Yorkville for their own looks, sounds, needs, market or whatever. In many cases they sell the exact same mic as a competitor, in some cases a better one.

I heard a story from the sales rep once about his trip to one of the Apex factories and he said that he witnessed the shift change with his own eyes. Shure 58's (not sure which exactly, so the chinese one) rolled down the line, and right after it, the Apex380. They are the same mic, less cosmetics. The factory improved some handling noise issues, Shure wouldn't let them change the classic design, so it still has that problem. Apex discontinued the 380, applied the new and better changes and launched the 381 instead.

In a nutshell Apex is designed off shore, tweaked in house and built off shore.

ART is designed in house and built off shore. Yorkville bought them about 10 years ago. They were founded by the original founders of MXR, and all those guys still work for ART. Yorkville bought MXR as well, but sold it to Dunlop because at the time they had no interest in that type of company. :facepalm:

Yorkville and Traynor both are designed in house and all but a small handful of ultra entry level products are made in China, everything else is Canadian made.

Archived