Possibly new car shopping.

james on bass

• Members

My '97 Dodge is about ready to be retired.

My wife got a Ford Focus wagon a couple years ago that we love, but Ford doesn't make the wagon or even a 5 door hatch anymore. :mad: I'd love a Ford Flex, but they are out of my price range and I would like to have a 4 cylinder, 5 speed if possible.

Anyone here own a PT Cruiser or Chevy HHR? I drove a number of brand new PTs 7 years ago and loved them, but am not sure what they are like once they age. The Chevy HHR is sweet looking as well. We usually buy our cars new, or nearly new and drive them 'till they die. I am a stickler for routine lubes and preventative maintenance.

So...what's good these days?

PT Cruiser

Chevy HHR

Pontiac Vibe

Pontiac G5

Please don't bother recommending an import. I know they make good cars, but you won't see one in my driveway.

• CMS Author

I'd avoid the HHR or PT unless you know for certain that you're gonna drive them into the ground. They're definitely "love it or hate it" type cars, and that can make resale difficult and costly.

I agree that Ford {censored}ed up royally when they "updated" the Focus line by dropping the two coolest examples of the car. The older ones even looked better too. I'd love to have a torch red Focus wagon or hatch.

• Members

I rented a PT Cruiser in California a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed driving it. It's a bit smaller and handles better than the HHR but I prefer the HHR's extra room.

You might wanna consider the new Saturn Astra. I got voted a top ten car of 2008 by my local news publication (The Herald). They're more "european" in styling, handling and definitely more solid feeling, like a poor man's Beamer. Sharp.

Drive them all. Now's a good time to buy so make'm work for your money.

• Members

You might wanna consider the new Saturn Astra. Now's a good time to buy so make'm work for your money.

I forgot about that one. Thanks.

I'm hearing rumours of the Canadian gubment throwing some of the bailout money to us regular folk by the way of no taxes (federal, provincial, or both) for new car purchases. On top of the huge discounts and 0% financing, I'm thinking now's the time to retire the old car.

• Members

If you're discounting imports you're seriously leaving out the best cars in that class. At this stage in the game the typical Honda, Toyota or Mazda is likely just as made in the US or Canada as the typical Ford, GM or Chrysler so I don't really see how it matters all that much. I suppose the ultimate profit does go overseas but is that any worse than giving it to GM or Chrysler so they can flush it down the {censored}ter? ;)

If you were to consider an import, the Mazda3 is very much like the Focus (same platform).

• Members

Great car to drive.
:thu:
The interior is seriously lacking compared to the other cars in its class, though.

Yeah - this seems true of Subarus as compared to hondas and Mazdas. The running gear is nice tho.

To the OP: Would you rather drive a Honda built in the US or a Chevy built in Mexico or Canada? Would you buy a Chevy imported from Korea eg. the Daewoo Aveo over a domestic-built Toyota?

I could have bought a Mexican Chevy Cavalier or a Honda Civic built just down the road in Alliston Ontario. The choice would be easy for me.

The world is flat.

• Members

You say you won't have an "import" in your driveway, well the PT Cruiser and the Chev HHR are both made in Mexico and I think that would technically be "imported" to you in Canada. The Pontiac Vibe is built in California as a joint venture between Pontiac & Toyota.

When I go car shopping, I look for the best car for the money that suits my needs...don't worry so much about import or domestic.

Check out country of origin of my basses in my sig:

US, Korea, Mexico, Japan

• Members

I have a Toyota Matrix, which is what the Pon/tiac Vibe is (different factory, mine is from Canada). It's economical, has TONS of cargo space and load capacity, and I've hauled lots of big, boxy music and camping gear in it. If you get it with side air-bags and ABS brakes, it has an extremely high safety rating for all crashes, and all passenger locations. I've had it for 3 years, and am VERY satisfied. Actually gets the 27/34 MPG claimed, and insurance is cheap.

Though I prefer manual transmissions, this is one auto that doesn't make me angry - it shifts where I want it to, unusual for my experience, and has an Overdrive Off button on the shifter for passing/acceleration convenience. Mine is the regular 1.8L engine, not the supercharged (170hp) one.

• Members

The Matrix/Vibes are real nice. There's a new Jeep Compass out in the parking lot here and I like it. The engine/drivetrains are a newly designed by some "global" venture with engineers from Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Hyundai and some other company? Anyway, it's a 4 cylinder that's efficient and performs well. Coupled with the CVT they get very good mileage. I test drove a Dodge Caliber with the same engine (170hp one) and it was smooth. The CVT takes a little getting used to.

Drive them all and pit the dealers against eachother. I keep a written log with ratings, options and prices with me when car shopping. When they (the salesman) sees that they know you ain't a sucker!!

• Members

The Matrix/Vibes are real nice. There's a new Jeep Compass out in the parking lot here and I like it. The engine/drivetrains are a newly designed by some "global" venture with engineers from Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Hyundai and some other company? Anyway, it's a 4 cylinder that's efficient and performs well. Coupled with the CVT they get very good mileage. I test drove a Dodge Caliber with the same engine (170hp one) and it was smooth. The CVT takes a little getting used to.

Drive them all and pit the dealers against eachother. I keep a written log with ratings, options and prices with me when car shopping. When they (the salesman) sees that they know you ain't a sucker!!

Good advice here. Whatever you do don't say anything like "I really want this car." :D

What did you think of the Caliber otherwise? I rented one in October and I thought it was the worst car I ever drove. Noisy, spongy handling, plastic everything, etc. It was a really huge step back from the Subaru Impreza I rented prior to the Caliber.

• Members

Ron, maybe that was a "base model" Caliber ? A good friend has one I ride in occasionally, and it's always been comfortable, no noticeable surge to the suspension, etc. His is one of the more lux versions. I don't really like getting in and out of it, but otherwise it seems OK.

The largest one I've seen in the "crossover" genre is the Nissan Murano. Honestly, it's just a height-shortened SUV, but it is very roomy inside and seems well executed. I always thought the CUV concept was lots of room in a SMALL car, though. Lately it's jsut the latest buzzword they advertise.

• Members

I'm really, really liking the 370Z. What a good-looking car. A bit reminiscent of the Porshce 911 if you ask me.

back end seems a lot like a 928 to me.

332 HP, 3232 lbs., around $30K = pretty good go for the dough.

Archived