Ear Protection

• Members

So, what does everyone use, if anything? I am contemplating getting back into playing a little more seriously, and with my already damaged hearing, the thought of standing near a drum kit worries me a bit. I've tried using garden variety earplugs at shows, but I feel like I lose too much of the music, and inevitably throw them away. Of course the next day or two i just hear a constant tone...

So, I need to find a solution which allows me to hear the music clearly and well, and prevents me from sliding even futher down the path of responding to everything people say to me with 'What?'

• Members

This thread seems to pop up once a year or so, but I don't mind because I think it's important we wear ear protection.

I used foamies and a silly-putty type ear plug right from the early 90s. About 4 years ago my work place paid for everyone to be fitted with custom ear plugs. Initial molding and the first pair were about $130. I liked them so much with the band I bought a second pair (around $80 for a second pair) in clear silicone so they were not as noticable as my purple work ones. These things are great. Knock the dB levels down considerably, but don't take away as much of the music as foamies do.

ConvertibleVented%20550x550.jpg

• Members

I have some of these. They have a flat frequency response, so you still hear the music. They came with 4 buttons that cut 9, 15 & 25 dB at a flat freq. response and a solid button for more than 25 dB, but it's not flat. I'm not sure how much they run since I'm friends with an audiologist and she did the ear molds for free, but they are the best piece of gear I've ever purchased.

• Members

etyplugs-case1ta.jpg

Got the Baby Blues. They are the best earplugs I've found. Hearos ain't got {censored} on em. I also love that my ear canals don't ache after 15 minutes, like the Hearos stiff white earplugs.

The whites are the original size. The blues are smaller for tight or crooked ear canals.

• Members

etyplugs-case1ta.jpg

Got the Baby Blues. They are the best earplugs I've found. Hearos ain't got {censored} on em. I also love that my ear canals don't ache after 15 minutes, like the Hearos stiff white earplugs.

The whites are the original size. The blues are smaller for tight or crooked ear canals.

I use these as well. I'd like to get the custom-fit musicians earplugs at some point but I've had these ones for about 3 years and they've done me just fine.

• Members

etyplugs-case1ta.jpg

Ditto. I love 'em. They cut the volume across all frequencies... so everything sounds clear and unmuffled.

And I think I only paid like $6.00 for them.

• Members

^

+1, very cheap, and incredibly useful. started wearing them about 2 years ago, and now I always carry a pair in my pocket.

not completely linear, but pretty damn close. In {censored}tier venues, the sound is sometimes actually better with the earplugs than without.

• Members

Best part, they still allow me to hold a normal conversation without taking them out.

JUST ENOUGH reduction. I love it. The cymbal smashes right next to me no longer hurt, stepping into my guitarists' amps' "beams" no longer water my eyes in pain, and my head doesn't ring until the morning.

• Members

Dont compromise your hearing. I'd advise getting the best you can afford. They'll last a long time and are a great investment IMO. Google "Musician's Ear Plugs".

You see a lot of posts here, telling of the latest bass accessory they have bought. They never mention ear plugs. If you lose or damage your hearing, then all other "accessories" are useless. ;)

• Members

I use some that I use for shooting.

You can hear just fine and not just a "thud" in the background and my ears don't ring afterwards.

I never liked the Hearos or most other "musicians" type plugs.

I'm due for a new set of IEM tips for my Westone UM2s, so I'll probably have them make a -10db or something set of earplugs for me at the same time so I don't pay for two settings.

• Members

I did a lot of looking at the amount of decibel reduction of various ear protection pieces, versus their cost and convenience. I use something I got from the gun store that is very much like this:

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum4989.php

It fits well, is hard to lose, reusable, and seems to cover fairly evenly. Like most hearing protection it attenuates a little more toward the high end, and a little less toward the low end, but the pair I got had a chart - and it was much closer to even reduction than say, the walmart special earplugs, or even most of the over the ear things. Good low end reduction is of course important for me, and I believe these are good for 18-20db of reduction at bass freqs.

• Members

I did a lot of looking at the amount of decibel reduction of various ear protection pieces, versus their cost and convenience. I use something I got from the gun store that is very much like this:

It fits well, is hard to lose, reusable, and seems to cover fairly evenly. Like most hearing protection it attenuates a little more toward the high end, and a little less toward the low end, but the pair I got had a chart - and it was much closer to even reduction than say, the walmart special earplugs, or even most of the over the ear things. Good low end reduction is of course important for me, and I believe these are good for 18-20db of reduction at bass freqs.

Big and unsightly to wear, especially on stage in front of an audience. You want earplugs that are inconspicuous.

• Members

I use custom-fitted jobbies made by Westone Labs. Mine is a Style 49 with 25 dB filters. No one even knows they're there. You can barely see them.

Total cost (including audiology assessment) was something like 250 bucks. Seems like a lot, but it's the best investment I've ever made in my life. No musician should be without one (not that I consider myself a musician...but you get the point).

Foam plugs and the like never get used since they cut too much highs and you end up with a boomy, dead sound.

• Members

Big and unsightly to wear, especially on stage in front of an audience. You want earplugs that are inconspicuous.

No, I want earplugs that work well, don't get eaten by cats, and cost 5 bucks and last, since I exclusively play in the jam room at the moment :)

The number of sets of earplugs I've lost to cats or just lost is ridiculous. Two sets of hearos and uncountable sets of foam earplugs.

In front of an audience, I'd probably just paint them black, wear 'em behind my head and let my hair hang over'em :) Or get some foam disposables.

Archived