Ear Protection

• Members

It's just not possible with acoustic drums. It's the snare and cymbals that bother me the most. It physically hurts if I don't have my ear plugs in.

i know exactly how you feel! the snare is norm my prob unless in on the otherside of stage lol, i can wear the foam plugs at practice but they just fall out when i move around on stage.

im guessing the onky way to stop this is get something kinda like iem's?

• Members

So you'd rather look like a complete dork, than at least be inconspicuous?

Fine. No problem. I'll go be a poser with my not-ridiculous-looking earplugs.

Fool.

I wear earplugs that are very inconspicuous and I would never wear those things with the connector between the two, but I also don't call people out for being concerned with aesthetics regarding music equipment (including earplugs).

Really I was just busting your chops; no hard feelings homey.

• Members
I wear earplugs that are very inconspicuous and I would never wear those things with the connector between the two, but I also don't call people out for being concerned with aesthetics regarding music equipment (including earplugs).

Really I was just busting your chops; no hard feelings homey.

Hey, not MY problem when the ladies don't wanna talk to his silly earplug wearin' ass.

There's a difference between being a poser, and being a goofy-looking nerd on stage not getting any nookie after the gig! Who knows, he might be married and not worried about getting laid after the gig. :lol: GET IT? Being married and still not getting sex after the gig? HAHA! Get it? Cuz it... it doesn't matter cuz he's.... married? Right?

*crickets*

• Members

I went to a store called "Listen up Canada" which deals with all things hearing. I asked the clerk if they had the custom moulded units and what they cost. She said they were around $95. I thought the price a bit high but figured better to get something comfortable and uniform sounding so I will want to wear them while doing the band thing.

I got my hearing tested (average hearing..whew) then got the moulds made for both ears.It took about 10 days to get them made and shipped to the store.

When I went to pick them up and pay for them the cost was $200!!! When I questioned her about the price she said "the price of $95 was per ear

Who the hell would ever buy just one earplug? I was pissed and was ready to walk but after reconsidering, ended up buying them.

I should have fired off an email to the head office but never got around to it.

For what I paid for them they are nice. They have a -15db "puck" that fits into them and can be changed for a -9 or -25db.

• Members
Hey, not MY problem when the ladies don't wanna talk to his silly earplug wearin' ass.

There's a difference between being a poser, and being a goofy-looking nerd on stage not getting any nookie after the gig! Who knows, he might be married and not worried about getting laid after the gig.
:lol:
GET IT? Being married and still not getting sex after the gig? HAHA! Get it? Cuz it... it doesn't matter cuz he's.... married? Right?

*crickets*

Yeah, I gots no needs to impress da ladies, being a married man. But frankly, I use the goofy looking ones for practice and they work awesome and are super comfortable, and don't get lost. Were I on stage I'd just get some cheap disposables :)

• Members

It's just not possible with acoustic drums. It's the snare and cymbals that bother me the most. It physically hurts if I don't have my ear plugs in.

Is it the frequency of the sounds or is the drummer playing like a jackhammer back there? My drummer plays with a light touch which is awesome.

• Members

Is it the frequency of the sounds or is the drummer playing like a jackhammer back there? My drummer plays with a light touch which is awesome.

IME it's the frequencies of the snare that make my eyes kind of "pop" if I'm too close and they're tuned a certain way. I almost "blink" without even trying if I'm close to a loud snare. But only certain ones, not in general. Kinda odd. :-/

• Members

For me, it's the volume of the drummer where I use the earplugs. At the Barn, the pit area can BARELY fit five people comfortably (with drums), and we always shoe-horn seven or so in there. That usually puts me right by the drummer, as in my ear is a foot away from the crash.

With that close an enclosure, it's not that easy to mic a drum kit (plus, they don't have the capability to do so. So unfortunately, the drummer has to play out somewhat to get through the opening from the pit to the seated audience and still have that person 30 rows back hear well.

Due to that, I bought the Hearos earplugs three years ago and haven't even not used them since. They cut the frequency and volume just enough that I can go outside during intermission and not shout at everyone unintentionally.

• Members

I also forgot to mention that I was talking to our guitarist a while back and he said that sometimes he'll wear just one earplug in the ear facing the drummer (usually his right). I was like "How the hell can you wear just one earplug?!?"

...Maybe it's just me but I would go nuts trying to play with just one earplug.

...and aboot the snaredrum thing, If I stand near the snare with one of the drummers I play with, something aboot the way he hits make it feel like its resonating inside my head...I can't even handle it, so I usually try to stay on the floor tom side.

• Members

For uncool looking comfortable light duty easy on easy off and cheap I like
E-A-R Caps.
321-2101.jpg

Got the Baby Blues. They are the best earplugs I've found. Hearos ain't got {censored} on em. I also love that my ear canals don't ache after 15 minutes, like the Hearos stiff white earplugs.

The whites are the original size. The blues are smaller for tight or crooked ear canals.

Cool. I'm going to try to find some of little blue ones. :thu:

• Members

It's a bit of both. The higher frequencies definitely bother me - even if one of my girls screams or hollers really high pitched. My drummer does as well have a fairly heavy touch.

• Members

I use the ones from Westone labs as well. They may be the etymotics ones as well. I LOVE them. Of all my gear purchases, they were the most important. I enjoy playing, live music and singing more as a result of them. Totally helped finding my harmonies when singing backup.

• Members

Hey, I've never used ear plugs before, but I think I should start.

I've had a "mild hearing loss" since I was a child (since they started recording).

About a month or two ago, they said it wasn't mild anymore and I really need to take care of my ears.

I was cleaning the bathroom last week, and found Mack's Pillow Soft Earplugs that were probably left by my brother. They look a bit old, 'cause some of the oils were left on the back paper, but not a single one used.

Mack's Pillow Soft Earplugs

I have them on right now and can barely hear myself type unless I really focus. :o

NRR 22 :confused:

Would these work?

Archived