Need a recording interface for PC, help!!

Ender_rpm

• Moderators

I hear this alot. I record 11 inputs into my Tascam which is USB 2.0 with no issues. I don't get it, do I have magic usb?

USB 2.0 @ 480 Mbps vs Firewire 800 @ 800 Mbps.

Firewire has the ability to push greater amounts of data. If your setup is getting the job done, it's getting the job done.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

That's IEEE1394a. USB 2.0 us a significant improvement over the old USB 1.0.

Here's a better answer to your point about IEEE1394a. Link to page regarding USB versus Firewire 400.

"Question: Which is faster Hi-Speed USB 2.0 or FireWire?

Answer: In sustained throughput FireWire is faster than USB 2.0.

Question: If Hi-Speed USB 2.0 is a 480 Mbps interface and FireWire is a 400 Mbps interface, how can FireWire be faster?

Answer: Differences in the architecture of the two interfaces have a huge impact on the sustained throughput.

FireWire vs. USB 2.0 - Architecture

FireWire, uses a "Peer-to-Peer" architecture in which the peripherals are intelligent and can negotiate bus conflicts to determine which device can best control a data transfer

Hi-Speed USB 2.0 uses a "Master-Slave" architecture in which the computer handles all arbitration functions and dictates data flow to, from and between the attached peripherals (adding additional system overhead and resulting in slower data flow control)

FireWire vs. USB 2.0 Hard Drive Performance Comparison

Read and write tests to the same IDE hard drive connected using FireWire and then Hi-Speed USB 2.0 show:

Read Test:

* 5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 33% faster than USB 2.0

* 160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 70% faster than USB 2.0

Write Test:

* 5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 16% faster than USB 2.0

* 160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 48% faster than USB 2.0

Question: So which products should I choose FireWire or Hi-Speed USB 2.0?

Answer: Often the choice will be made for you by the product itself. Some types of products are only available with the FireWire interface and some only with USB.

For all out sustained throughput, as shown above a FireWire external hard drive will provide the best performance. But for convenience and compatibility between multiple computers a USB 2.0 external hard drive would probably be the better choice (since practically every computer has a USB port)."

• Members
That's IEEE1394a. USB 2.0 us a significant improvement over the old USB 1.0.

Ya I have had no problems whatsoever with this Tascam interface
however I hear people using Vista having no luck at all with it but then again folks with Vista are having no luck with a lot of other interfaces also.
I have 2 E Machines with windows XP media edetion and the interface works good on both computers.
I hooked the interface up on a friend of mine new dell with vista and it had pops and dropouts
Windows Vista is not a very good windows edition for DAW IMO

so buyer beware if you are running vista, make sure the interface you are looking at is compatible with windows vista.:facepalm:

• Moderators
Ya I have had no problems whatsoever with this Tascam interface

however I hear people using Vista having no luck at all with it but then again folks with Vista are having no luck with a lot of other interfaces also.

I have 2 E Machines with windows XP media edetion and the interface works good on both computers.

I hooked the interface up on a friend of mine new dell with vista and it had pops and dropouts

Windows Vista is not a very good windows edition for DAW IMO

so buyer beware if you are running vista, make sure the interface you are looking at is compatible with windows vista.
:facepalm:

That's a really good point.

• Members
I'm getting one of the Tascam 1641s soon. What PCs are you running with it?

speed? ram?

any issues?

:mad:

E Machines with Windows XP Media edetion
I love it No issues what so ever just make sure when recording you are running only your DAW
if you are running Vista either get another computer that has XP or get something that is compatable with that crap Vista.

• Members

I'm going through a similar search, but for USB connectivity, Looking at the Presonus Audiobox, 2 inputs, bus powered, for use as a quick on the go solution to lay down some Ideas. We've got a 24 track setup in the rehearsal room for full-on recordings...

• Moderators

I'm interested in why more people don't look at the Zoom H4 for this function. Not only does it record band practices and gigs, but you can also input song ideas. It also works as a USB interface. I've never tried mine that way, but a product like that would kill more than one bird with a stone.

• Members

I'm interested in why more people don't look at the Zoom H4 for this function. Not only does it record band practices and gigs, but you can also input song ideas. It also works as a USB interface. I've never tried mine that way, but a product like that would kill more than one bird with a stone.

I have one. I think that it's good in the context of recording a live band.

Other than that I think that the preamps are very weak in it and the USB interface performs badly. It also has high latency which makes that part of it unusable.

• Members

Reaper > Audacity for multi-tracking.

the op is looking for an interface not program software.

however since you mentioned it Reaper is what I use with the 1641 and they are very compatible with each other:thu:

but then again the Reaper is pretty much compatible with just about any interface you link it to.

Audacity Meh

it is good for freeware i guess

• Members

the op is looking for an interface not program software.

however since you mentioned it Reaper is what I use with the 1641 and they are very compatible with each other:thu:

but then again the Reaper is pretty much compatible with just about any interface you link it to.

Audacity Meh

it is good for freeware i guess

An interface is only so good with what you use with it. And since the OP mentioned they were using audacity, I figured I'd toss Reap out there (since you can use is for free, pay if you like it) as an alternative.

Made my recording life significantly easier.

• Moderators
OPtions are stil open on a DAW sprogram,I have no experience with any of them
:(

A special edition of Cubase will come with many of them. I'd wait until I got the interface. As is there are some out there that arte free, like the already mentioned Reaper and Audacity to Cubase. I personally use Tracktion 2.0 for multi-tracking and WaveLabs 5.0 for mastering.

• Members

OPtions are stil open on a DAW sprogram,I have no experience with any of them
:(

I I either own or have experience with Acid, Pro Tools, Cubase, Cubase LE 4, Kristal Audio Engine, Audacity, Wavosaur, Garage band and I can guarantee you none of them are more user friendly than the Reaper.

Reaper tech team are continually making upgrades to the program which does not cost youa thing to upgrade to the latest version

IMO it is the best you will finf Period.

Dont Fear The Reaper

Excellent Free DAW's

Wavosaur

Kristal Audio Engine

Audacity

Archived