Amps: What gauge should your power cable be?

Apendecto

• Members

I've got a Mesa Boogie Big Block and my rack is just a little short of keeping it plugged in with the cover on. It's not the end of the world but I thought I'd get a 90 degree power cable to reduce the length sticking out.

Would this cable be large enough?

My rig is at our rehearsal space and I can't look at it down and it doesn't say anything about gauge in the manual. How large is yours... :D

Thanks.

Yo.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got a Mesa Boogie Big Block and my rack is just a little short of keeping it plugged in with the cover on. It's not the end of the world but I thought I'd get a 90 degree power cable to reduce the length sticking out.

Would this
cable
be large enough?

My rig is at our rehearsal space and I can't look at it down and it doesn't say anything about gauge in the manual. How large is yours...
:D

Thanks.

Yo.

I want to say it's a non issue. If they make it, it has to (should) meet any IEC standards, and will therefore be safe.

It would be a larger plug style if it needed to be a larger gauge wire.

• Members

From what I can gather 18 AWG is standard for IEC cables. I lucked into a few 14 AWG cables a few years ago that had really nice finely stranded conductors. They had ropelike flexibility and totally made my amp sound better. ;)

I like to think of power cables as extensions of what is in the wall. Since those circuits are typically designed to protect #14 wire, it's a good idea to continue that same size service to the load.

• Members

I want to say it's a non issue. If they make it, it has to (should) meet any IEC standards, and will therefore be safe.

It would be a larger plug style if it needed to be a larger gauge wire.

Not necessarily so - I have Crown power amps that have IEC sockets for power in, and they come from the factory with 14/3 IEC cables, as they can draw more current than an 18/3 can properly carry...

- georgestrings

• Members

Let's see ... as I flip through my handy-dandy "Electrical Pal" book there's a table on page 3-13 labeled "Standard Lamp & Extension Cord Current Capacities" and it says a 2-conductor standard extension cord (or amp power cable) should handle 10 amps. At 110V, that means an 18-awg cable should be fine unless you're running an amp rated for more than 1100W or so. 14-awg wire is good for 18 amps (although it should still be protected at 15).

I'd be pretty surprised if your amp needed more than an 18-awg power cable.

edit: That was to the original poster. Georgestrings' power amps may well need a larger cable. I wasn't talking to him. :)

• Members

Right, the 18 AWG is capable of providing the required current without overheating, but if you use 14, then the cable from the wall to the amp is protected from an amp fault by the breaker. Sure, it's unlikely that an amp fault will result in the amp's breaker or fuse remaining intact while there is sufficient current to burn up an 18 gauge cable with the circuit breaker remaining closed in the panel, but if someone is going to buy an aftermarket IEC cable, why not get a #14?

• Members

Monster Cable Powerline 300 High Performance Power Cord $100

Your power system is only as strong as the weakest link in its chain.

You'll want the Monster Cable Powerline 300 High Performance Power Cord because your power system is only as strong as its weakest link. 8' detachable power cord provides maximum current transfer and maximum conductivity with excellent EMI and RFI rejection. For high-powered electronics equipment with IEC power supply hookup.

{censored} Monster. These guys are total {censored}ing thieves. I can't believe that people are dumb enough to let these {censored}s get away with this {censored}.

• Members

Right, the 18 AWG is capable of providing the required current without overheating, but if you use 14, then the cable from the wall to the amp is protected from an amp fault by the breaker. Sure, it's unlikely that an amp fault will result in the amp's breaker or fuse remaining intact while there is sufficient current to burn up an 18 gauge cable with the circuit breaker remaining closed in the panel, but if someone is going to buy an aftermarket IEC cable, why not get a #14?

If you're going to buy one, sure, get a 14. But if you lose a cable at a gig, I'm just saying that you shouldn't freak out if all you have on-hand as a replacement is an 18. :)

• Members

Well, if you're cool with RFI, EMI and BSI in your power signal, then by all means buy that sub $10 power cable. Sure, you'll save $90, but you won't be able to look down your nose at every other musician knowing that you have the best possible connection between your amp and the top of the line, 100% oxygen free, RFI, EMI and BSI shielded electrical systems that exist at all of the bars and clubs where you will be playing.

• Members

Well, if you're cool with RFI, EMI and BSI in your power signal, then by all means buy that sub $10 power cable. Sure, you'll save $90, but you won't be able to look down your nose at every other musician knowing that you have the best possible connection between your amp and the top of the line, 100% oxygen free, RFI, EMI and BSI shielded electrical systems that exist at all of the bars and clubs where you will be playing.

:cry:

Yo.

• Members

Not necessarily so - I have Crown power amps that have IEC sockets for power in, and they come from the factory with 14/3 IEC cables, as they can draw more current than an 18/3 can properly carry...

- georgestrings

Yeah, my QSC and even the Behringer EP-2500 both have the 14 AWG cable.

Archived