Amps: What gauge should your power cable be?

Apendecto

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Transmission ratings do not apply here.

Why should anything be gold plated and have RFI rejection built in?

Honestly, think about the circuit that you ware plugging into. Typical circuits are going to be run with either 14/2 or 12/2 grounded solid conductor romex into the cheapest possible receptacles.

If you buy into the need for a clean power supply BS, then a cable isn't going to help you. An honest to god regulated power supply is required.

• Members

power_ref500.jpg

Crystal Cable Ultra. Yours for the low low price of $4065. Worth every penny.

I've actually auditioned this cable in a very very high resolution audio system. It didn't sound any better than the $8 IEC. I guess my ears aren't cultured enough to tell the difference.

:facepalm:

and

:facepalm:

• Members

One of the electricians that works for me does a lot of side work to generate extra income. Right now his cash cow is a plastic surgeon that simply must have the very best in his home theater and listening rooms. He has installed three dedicated 20 amp circuits for this nonsense.

• Members

Using a cable that is capable of providing more current than the amp is capable of drawing is an entire waste of money.

Using a speaker cable larger than the power cable is also an entire waste of money since the amp is not going to generate more current than it draws from the wall.

YMMV.

• Members

There's a big difference in wall voltage and amp output voltage.

Using gross assumptions and basic formulas which are close enough for this discussion:

P=EI, P=E^2/R

A 1000 watt amp will pull just over 8 amps from the wall to generate that power from 120 volts.

To drive 1000 watts into an 8 ohm speaker, the amp will put out about 90 volts and 11 amps.

To drive 1000 watts into a 4 ohm speaker, the amp will put out about 60 volts and 16 amps.

That said, #14 cable is good enough for just about everything.

• Members

A 1000 watt amp will pull just over 8 amps from the wall to generate that power from 120 volts.

To drive 1000 watts into an 8 ohm speaker, the amp will put out about 90 volts and 11 amps.

To drive 1000 watts into a 4 ohm speaker, the amp will put out about 60 volts and 16 amps.

8 x 120 = 960

11 x 90 = 990

16 x 60 = 960

Seems like they all are being provided the same output, just in different combinations of amps, voltage and ohms.

• Members

8 x 120 = 960

11 x 90 = 990

16 x 60 = 960

Seems like they all are being provided the same output, just in different combinations of amps, voltage and ohms.

Right, but cable size is determined by current capacity. High voltage transmission lines are small, but they push tens of thousands of watts because they are running at tens of thousands of volts.

• Members

It's not like there's a significant, debilitating price increase from jumping between an 18awg power cable and a 14 or 12awg power cable.

Hell, it was a $3 upgrade to go from 18awg speakon cables to 12awg speakon cables for me. WHOOP TEE DOO. I dropped the cash anyways, knowing if I go get a Crown and bridge it into a 610XLT I'll be ready for it.

Archived