For anyone interested in my adventures in lighting.

burdizzos

• Members

It really isn't that bad. It took us about two hours to set everything up and about an hour and a half to take it all down. Mind you, that wasn't steady work by three people, that was half-assed work by two and a half people.

All of the truss hangs in the trailer will all of the lights mounted on it, so it takes no time at all to get the main lighting section up and running.

I bet the crowd really appreciated it too.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's killer, Jake.

So, I know you told us before, who made the banners? They're sharp!

I hired someone to make the banners, and then sent the art off to be printed. It wasn't the cheapest in the world but they're decent quality (better than the eBay banner places, I've dealt with a few of them and they're for the most part awful).

I'm going to set up my little Mino camcorder at one of the next gigs and record the whole setup, and then upload it in fast forward. I think it'll be interesting to see how the stuff goes together. If we're not using the back truss, we can be set up in about 30 minutes. If we set up the back truss, probably 50 minutes if we focus on it (i.e. we haven't been drinking and we aren't ordering food and bull{censored}ting around with people at the bar). We're only a 3-piece (the fourth guy, when he plays with us, doesn't help set up, since he's a "hired gun"), so for three people to get that rig together that fast, it's pretty impressive. We've done a LOT of advance work to make sure everything goes as efficiently as possible. The rack is all pre-wired, and there's just a power cable and four 4-wire Speakon connectors on a panel on the back. The truss is already wired up and just needs to be snapped together and have the XLR and power cables plugged in between each piece. The truss doesn't weigh much so we just assemble it on the floor and lift it into place.

• Members

We easily have the best rig in our market and it's actually starting to make a little bit of a difference. Most bar owners are somewhat shocked when we set that up.

The biggest problems we have now are promotion and lack of energy on the stage. Z-x and I act like a couple of coked out chimps on stage, but that doesn't quite make up for the overall lack of stage presence. On the promotion end, Z-x does posters for many of the gigs, but that aspect really isn't his responsibility, nor is it mine, so that part just isn't getting done.

We can get more gigs than we can play, but the dollar amount that I'd like isn't quite there yet.

• Members

Where did you guys source the Meyers? I'm also curious as to what they run... (A pm is fine if it's sensitive info)

Z-x got a deal on them used. The sub's drivers were blown and had to be replaced, but fortunately the tops were in perfect working order as were the processors. I just had to rewire them to use Speakon Connectors.

I think he has a couple of bookmarks or bots that do automated searches for Meyer on craig's list and ebay every couple of days. I've seen some pretty good deals come and go on Meyer stuff. The trick is being patient and having the cash on hand when it becomes available. I think the UPAs, USWs and processors can be had for less than $3000 when you can find them. Normally, the speakers at that price point look like hell, but still function flawlessly.

• Members

Here's a couple of ours if you don't mind! :) I never though lighting meant {censored} until you play without it, then get back in a band that has a sweet setup.

5171_97725349587_64033364587_1869980_762
5171_97725344587_64033364587_1869979_652
5171_97725339587_64033364587_1869978_268

I have no idea wtf we even have, but it looks good and takes a bitch long time to setup, haha!

• Members
^Haha, I like dude in the 3rd pic, throwin' his arms up.
:D

Lol that was from this past weekend or two weekends ago, at Rick's (our singer) bday. That guy was guesting in on a song. It was a pretty awesome night. Rick is an amazing front man.

• Members

I'll probably add some moving lights at some point, but as it is now, all of our {censored} is pre wired and permenantly mounted to the truss, so it goes up quickly and easily. Adding moving heads or scanners increases setup time by at least five minutes per fixture. Once I figure out that I want, I'll come up with a creative way of setting it up that is quick and easy.

Like I said, our current rig goes from trailer to ready to play in less than an hour with three people working on it. I'd like to keep it that way.

• Members

I'll probably add some moving lights at some point, but as it is now, all of our {censored} is pre wired and permenantly mounted to the truss, so it goes up quickly and easily. Adding moving heads or scanners increases setup time by at least five minutes per fixture. Once I figure out that I want, I'll come up with a creative way of setting it up that is quick and easy.

Like I said, our current rig goes from trailer to ready to play in less than an hour with three people working on it. I'd like to keep it that way.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of setting up and tearing down those damn One-Spots or whatever you call them every show... But we don't have a trailer ATM, so it's kind of impossible to leave it all assembled as I'd like.

• Members

Having everything prewired and mounted on the truss makes life infinitely easier. If I had to wire up every fixture at every gig, I wouldn't do it. I used to have all of my lights on a few trees and that was a huge pain in the ass.

At small gigs where we only use two sections of front truss, our setup time is less than half an hour.

• Members

Having everything prewired and mounted on the truss makes life infinitely easier. If I had to wire up every fixture at every gig, I wouldn't do it. I used to have all of my lights on a few trees and that was a huge pain in the ass.

At small gigs where we only use two sections of front truss, our setup time is less than half an hour.

How long is your truss? If we could buy a trailer that was big enough, we wouldn't have to disassemble every time. Just take it down off the risers and there ya go.

• Members

I have six 2 meter sections of Global mini truss.

My trailer is a 5x8 enclosed deal from Home Depot. I used self tapping screws and 1/2" conduit straps to make hanging points for the six sections of truss across the roof beams of the trailer. I used some steel cable and carbiners to hook the truss on to the straps.

I'll take some pictures of the loaded trailer at the next gig.

• Members

I have six 2 meter sections of Global mini truss.

My trailer is a 5x8 enclosed deal from Home Depot. I used self tapping screws and 1/2" conduit straps to make hanging points for the six sections of truss across the roof beams of the trailer. I used some steel cable and carbiners to hook the truss on to the straps.

I'll take some pictures of the loaded trailer at the next gig.

I'd like to see that. We're thinking of getting a trailer and this sounds like a great idea for not having to tear the hell down every show.

• Members

So if you were setting up these lights to film some adult entertainment, which would you use? What hue accentuates manhood the best?

Standard incandescent lighting works best for that. Par 56 cans gelled with dark bastard amber to was the room, then par 38 cans gelled with red aimed upward on the man parts.

• Members

I'd like to see that. We're thinking of getting a trailer and this sounds like a great idea for not having to tear the hell down every show.

When we park the trailer, I'll find a place to set the camcorder and record it as we empty it. I'd record it as we pack it back up, but it'd be so obscene that YouTube would probably flag it down. I'll upload it in fast-forward. It's almost an art how much we can pack in that 5x8 trailer:

Six 6' sections of GT mini-truss, hanging from the roof, with lights

12U slant-top mixer rack

Two crank stands

Two regular stands

Drum riser

Two Meyer subs

Two Meyer tops

Drum hardware case

Drum set

Guitar amp

Guitar stand in a flight case

XLR cable bag

Mic cable bag

Bag with Vue 1, Vue 2 fixtures

One day, when Jake gets drunk and flips that trailer, we're all {censored}ed.

• Members

You left out the following:

Mic case

Bass pedal board

Guitar pedal board(s)

Lighting controller

Midi Board

Bag with ADJ Agressors and Sunray

Banner Pipe Case

Hand Truck

Hazer

We really should shoot that video sometime. Probably not this weekend since we are only loading in the small rig, but I will take some pictures of the loaded trailer.

• Members

Thanks guys.
I think we do a good job of fitting all our crap in the U-Haul trailer (the small one) that we rent every week. I think each person's cut is like $11, and I never have to get it, so it's working for now.

I really want to see though how you do the lights, as tearing apart that truss every time and then getting it put back together to where it doesn't sag is the science in all this.

Also, I'm assuming your Meyer stuff isn't powered, right? What model(s) of tops and subs do you have and what do you push them with?

I know I'll never afford it, but I just like looking at that stuff. :) It just makes me go "Damn, now that's some PA equipment!"

• Members

I wouldn't say it's science, just simple physics. ;)

We are using Meyer UPAs and USWs. The UPAs are biamped with a Crown XTI1000 and the USWs are driven by an XTI2000, both though tthe meyer processors.

The small Uhaul is a 4x6 if memory serves. Mine is a 5x8. It cost around $2200, I think. Totally worth is since I only have to load the {censored} in and out at the gig rather than loading at my house, loading in at the gig, loading out at the gig and then loading out into my garage.

• Members

I wanna see a pictorial of that signal chain when you have it set up next!! :mad:

Well the thing with us is, we use our PA during practice and our board and monitors, etc.. We have a paid rehearsal space where we leave everything under guarded, gated double lock and key. So I think that's why everyone has been skeptical about pitching in to actually buy a trailer yet. But who knows we may come across an older one and someone may nab it, but for now I'll pay out $10 just to not have the hassle.

• Members

Practice? :confused:

I've never practiced with this band of tards. Not once, which is why it's amazing that we do as well as we do.

In my last band, I had two PAs one practice PA and a Live PA. The Practice unit was made of cheap {censored} that I got used for cheap.

• Members
Practice?
:confused:

I've never practiced with this band of tards. Not once, which is why it's amazing that we do as well as we do.

In my last band, I had two PAs one practice PA and a Live PA. The Practice unit was made of cheap {censored} that I got used for cheap.

Yeah, well, we have to supply demos to get even in the door to some places around here! ;) I'm sure it's appalling to you, but when they're forking out 1500-2000/night, it's worth it to me.

We have the powered JBL's w/ neo's so they're really not terribly bad. But gigging will pick up this fall, and I'm going to get tired of moving those drivers every show and setting the room back up, tearing it down, repeat. We could get some used powered Mackies that would be plenty. We only run the vox and kick through them at practice anyway.

• Members

Yeah, well, we have to supply demos to get even in the door to some places around here!
;)
I'm sure it's appalling to you, but when they're forking out 1500-2000/night, it's worth it to me.

We have the powered JBL's w/ neo's so they're really not terribly bad. But gigging will pick up this fall, and I'm going to get tired of moving those drivers every show and setting the room back up, tearing it down, repeat. We could get some used powered Mackies that would be plenty. We only run the vox and kick through them at practice anyway.

Appalling? Let me make something clear. I don't think this band is doing everything right. I think it's bull{censored} that we don't ever practice and it's also bull{censored} that we do not have a good demo or a website/myspace page that is updated at least weekly. I'm not so much bragging about the not practicing part as I am pointing out how slack my band actually is.

Sadly, I'm just the bassist/gear hauler/lighting guy.

Archived