For anyone interested in my adventures in lighting.

burdizzos

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Appalling? Let me make something clear. I don't think this band is doing everything right. I think it's bull{censored} that we don't ever practice and it's also bull{censored} that we do not have a good demo or a website/myspace page that is updated at least weekly. I'm not so much bragging about the not practicing part as I am pointing out how slack my band actually is.

Sadly, I'm just the bassist/gear hauler/lighting guy.

Ok. That makes me feel better then! :D

• Members

Ok. That makes me feel better then!
:D

My band is currently stuck at the top of the 2nd tier in my market. We have a batter lighting and PA rig than nearly all of the top tier bands, but we aren't moving up because of 20+ seemingly insignificant details. I'm fine with it though, the lack of practice leaves me more family time. I brought home $700 this past week in gig money, so we're doing quite well and it's rather difficult to justify putting in more time since the ROI may or may not be there.

• Members
Thanks, that's what we're going for.
:thu:

For what it's worth, I've never seen a band put that much effort into their setup in the markets we play in. Most places here have their own PA, which probably accounts for part of it, but you never see lighting and visuals like that around here.

If nothing else, this thread has given me some inspiration as far as what to do with our old Boy Scout trailer should I ever get into a more "commercial" group. :D

• Members

My band is currently stuck at the top of the 2nd tier in my market. We have a batter lighting and PA rig than nearly all of the top tier bands, but we aren't moving up because of 20+ seemingly insignificant details. I'm fine with it though, the lack of practice leaves me more family time. I brought home $700 this past week in gig money, so we're doing quite well and it's rather difficult to justify putting in more time since the ROI may or may not be there.

These guys were probably close or at the top tier as far as cover bands go in the Houston market when they were full on this time last year.

With the new replacements of me and the singer, we're hoping to get back towards that, and we put in the time to make it happen.

I think we're tracking a 6-song demo a week from this coming Saturday. I'll put up some clips when they're done for sure.

• Members

These guys were probably close or at the top tier as far as cover bands go in the Houston market when they were full on this time last year.

With the new replacements of me and the singer, we're hoping to get back towards that, and we put in the time to make it happen.

I think we're tracking a 6-song demo a week from this coming Saturday. I'll put up some clips when they're done for sure.

Cool, be sure to keep us posted. I'd like to ramp things up, but that will have to wait.

• Members

Just to get technical, our XTi-2000 is attenuated 3dB to better match the output of the XTi-1000 (since the Meyer processors ideally want to see the same poweramps for every component in the chain). I could probably have gotten away with XTi-1000's for all the poweramps, but I'd rather have the extra headroom provided by the 2000, and it'll come in handy if we get to the point where we're running four subs off the thing.

We'd be a bottom 2nd tier band if we didn't have all this {censored}. We have a relatively boring set list in terms of "fun" songs to play (both from a musician and a crowd standpoint). We do a lot of country stuff, which the big places aren't particularly looking for around here for the most part. And in my opinion, our frontman does nothing to engage the crowd. And that's the biggest part. If we had a dedicated frontman (sans guitar), or even one with a guitar who was energetic, I think we'd be there in a heartbeat.

When I started playing with the band, we were a third tier band making third tier money. It was almost 100% country music with a few originals, nothing danceable, and running on a bottom-level PA system (we played our first few dozen shows on a SoundTech powered PA-on-a-stick with 10" mains, no subs, and a 4-channel powered mixer). I've done what I can to raise that up, but since I'm behind the drums, there's only so much. I flip sticks and joke around with Burdizzos (though that's usually just in the IEMs, since if it wasn't, we'd never get booked again).

• Members

I gave the show the other night just about everything I had short of launching myself off the stage. If we had more dance type stuff, I'd have been out in the crowd shaking my ass with the ladies.

I'm starting to get better at my rockstar moves. If I wasn't 100% certain that I would knock myself unconscious, I'd start trying to fling my bass all the way around. Perhaps I should practice that, but no matter what I do, there will be the frontman just standing there strumming along.

• Members

^^^

Our first full show as a band, I pulled an RSB move as I was pounding out some distorted power chord during "Woman" and nailed our lead singer in the temple with my Modulus! :D

The graphite won, btw...

He moves an extra 2 feet over when I bust out the Charvel for our C-set! :D

Archived